• +

Prequel Ships have no "meat."

#31 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 11 July 2004 - 03:03 AM

Ok, I have to comment on Amadala's ship, the HMS Shiney-as-fawk. Who would have a ship like that and not get overthrown? It's plated in chrome or silver or something. Why dosn't she just go all the way and have her ship plated in gold with diamons and rubies. I mean did they not at all consider that this vessel might have to hide to protect the queen and that a completely silver ship might be kind of easy to pick out? I'm not saying it should have been like one in the OT but, damn.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#32 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:45 AM

laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Yeah, that really sucks. I guess the artist that week had a shiny pen.

I was in the toy store today. the 3po/droid factory incident with both characters, operating room and swappable heads. It was marked down big time. But not as much as the where's the jar-jar stand up candy land game that was 2/$5. My brother in law bought that for the nephews when we were on vacation, years ago, and all paid Lucas to see (for the second time at least, clearly at fault or wanting to believe,) TPM and of course the boys all loved it. Mind you they were much younger then. wink.gif

Back to the (crowded) toy store at the mall. A young couple and child came by and as I moved on, I heard the shrill, wonderfully misguided sounds of "I want That one!" "Anikan and Speeder Car? Is that it that you want?"

(and I don't intend to take away one moment of enjoyment found through creative play.
Just stop making the stuff. there's plenty to go around.) tongue.gif

#33 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Paladin @ Jul 9 2004, 09:59 AM)
Hey, Star Trek is cool. And they deserve some props for at least trying to explain how some things work.

Even if they butcher every single scientific and engineering concept? wink.gif

like that slingshot around the sun, go back in time BS?

#34 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:00 AM

Ok, I have to comment on Amadala's ship, the HMS Shiney-as-fawk. Who would have a ship like that and not get overthrown? It's plated in chrome or silver or something.

No doubt. Lucas is goofy or something. In his original scripts, there was some strange importance placed on the "Chrome Guilds." Sheesh, now we know why--every FREEAKING SHIP IS COVERED IN CHROME!!

The guy is just... a nutcase.

Even if they butcher every single scientific and engineering concept?

Or transparent aluminum? Come on!!! That just sounds stupid. Or inertial dampners, or gravity on every blasted ship in the galaxy--the same galaxy. Every race relatively human. The list endless....
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#35 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:40 AM

Actually, Star Trek does hire real life engieers and physists to help them with technical aspects to the show. In fact, the ion thrust engine (star trek originaly) is now used by NASA. I got that from one of my profs.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 12 July 2004 - 03:41 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#36 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:40 AM

Or transparent aluminum? Come on!!! That just sounds stupid. Or inertial dampners, or gravity on every blasted ship in the galaxy--the same galaxy. Every race relatively human. The list endless....

[QUOTE][like that slingshot around the sun, go back in time BS?/QUOTE]

Yes, all those and much, much more.

Stardestroyer.net

Check it out... lots of stuff by an Engineer. smile.gif

#37 Guest_Guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:42 AM

Just remember though, if we apply reality too much, it's pretty much impossible to have the Star Wars movies at all.

It's good to suspend disbelief a bit... ie. to accomodate Star Destroyers and hyperspace and cloud city.

But we shouldn't suspend disbelief too much... ie. R2-D2 flying, Anakin falling hundreds of metres to catch onto an airspeeder without tearing his arms off or having Hayden Christiansen as Anakin Skywalker in the first place.

#38 Guest_Guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:43 AM

And yes, the Prequel ships suck.

#39 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:53 AM

QUOTE (Guest @ Jul 12 2004, 11:42 AM)
Just remember though, if we apply reality too much, it's pretty much impossible to have the Star Wars movies at all.

It's good to suspend disbelief a bit... ie. to accomodate Star Destroyers and hyperspace and cloud city.

Star Wars is fantasy, though - it doesn't really need to be 'realistic', any more than Lord of the Rings. Star Trek is supposedly based on real-life scientific concepts, though I don't know how badly these are 'butchered' since I'm not a scientist myself. (Except for the really obvious stuff, such as almost all the alien races being semi-human - and the fact that they can mate with each other...)
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#40 User is offline   Rory Icon

• Supreme Master of all Lance & Eskimo and Chefelf Forums EVER
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:11 AM

"Even if they butcher every single scientific and engineering concept?"

Well, most of star trek technology is pretty out there, and they definetly don't limit themselves to whats actually possible. However, they do at least try to come up with explanations that are at least, in some way, grounded in reality. Some are certainly more grounded than others. Whats important to keep in mind about Star Trek is that they place characters, plot, and monetary budgets over technology. So, they'll often use a technology as a tool towards those ends, and then come up with a scientific explanation later. For example, transporters were created because it was both expensive and inconveniant to show characters taking a shuttle to and from a planets surface. So, boom, transporters make the job easy; later they come up with an explanation on how it works (which, though impossibly hard to realise, is sort of interesting philsophically). Same goes for gravity generators. And the universal translator.

"like that slingshot around the sun, go back in time BS?"

I was never crazy about this particular choice. On one hand, it keeps the plot moving. However, it trivializes time travel, which is never a good thing. And it really pushed the boundries of plausibility. I could buy, maybe, slingshotting around a blackhole, but a sun probably shouldnt cut it. Make no mistake; Star trek certainly has it blunders, but many times they do a pretty nice job of blending the fantastic with the somewhat scientifically plausible. And thats really all we want anyway, right?

#41 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 13 July 2004 - 01:31 AM

time travell can be elusively covered up, or well treated...

the Terminator: Time Field Generator, Time displacement unit, organic matter only, etc. nothing really explained but it all sounded rather spiffy and up to sctratch... well done.

Back To the Future: Flex Capacitor, engine must reach 88 miles per hour, Uranium, some number of Gigawatts required, Mr.Fusion, etc.
causality was impressivley covered in this trilogy! also well done.

Future Cop: went for an auto-neptul quantuum leap methode. interesting, and treated lightly enough to not draw attention to itself, while at the same time being able to stand up.

Austin Powers 2 and 3: Absured, but bloody funny!

#42 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:23 AM

Austin Powers 2 and 3: Absured, but bloody funny!

Why is it for some reaon, I've just got an idea to rent a few Austin Powers DVDs/VHS?

And yes guys, we shouldn't apply too much reality into Sci-Fic... but it's always fun to nitpick and write entire websites full of commentries to show how lame most are. wink.gif biggrin.gif

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size