• +

Prequel Ships have no "meat."

#16 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 26 June 2004 - 11:50 PM

In ANH, Ben said that the days of old were more civilized. I guess the ships looked better too. The Imperial spacecraft did look archaic, those AT AT walkers in AOTC looked like a poor design of the more recent version in ESB.

The only ships that looked more dazzeling were the ones from Naboo. I'm almost postive that Naboo will be blown up in Episode III. It has no history till now, and the designs and way of life in no way echo anything from the OT.

THIS JUST IN-------------

General Grevious, according to Lucas, is a shadow of what Anakin will become!!! WHOA, slow down Lucas, that is too much symbology for me. Try not make it so obvous big fella. The general, as you know, is part alien and part driod. Sigh~
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#17 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:49 AM

I really can't wait until Episode III has done its run in the cinema, video store and TV so the whole thing can die down and go away. I'm not sure how much more of this abuse an old Star Wars fan can take.

#18 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:53 PM

Seriously, I can't wait till Episode III is released. I'm practically salivating at the thought of Chefelf's new list - from what we've heard so far, I've no doubt it's going to be the longest and best ever.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#19 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:40 PM

yeah, may as well get started now!!!
smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

#20 User is offline   Commoner Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:39 PM

I, too, can't wait for this all to end. Then, time will dictate what was good and what sucked, even though it has already been determined. It's just others who are in complete denial of this.

I mean, this didn't happen with ANH. People right off the bat weren't saying that it sucked, and then people gradually learned to like it, which is exactly what gushers think you ought to do, or that's the way it was with ANH.

I mean, if ANH sucked, nobody would've continued to go to it, it wouldn't have had repeat business. It would be forgotten now in the bottom of the bin next to Ishtar.

Silly, silly, logic.

#21 User is offline   Satanis Icon

• New Cop

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:28 PM

has anyone noticed that in every movie,theres no such thing as um...what do you call it....GRAVITY.

#22 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:49 PM

Sure there is, people walk around on planets just fine. Of course the manuevering of the space craft is far fetch, but let it go, it is sci fi, you need a little streching of the imagination.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#23 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 30 June 2004 - 05:30 AM

The really strange thing about gravity in Star Wars is how it's the same on every planet (and every moon of every planet). The really really strange thing is how every planet has the same gravity as our Earth.

And come to that, why the hell do they use Earth units of time (hours, days, years)?
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

#24 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:18 AM

The really strange thing about gravity in Star Wars is how it's the same on every planet (and every moon of every planet). The really really strange thing is how every planet has the same gravity as our Earth.

And come to that, why the hell do they use Earth units of time (hours, days, years)?

That's the scientific answer.

Of course when making a movie that people have to watch and enjoy, you kind of have to overlook "minor scientific" realities like that.

It's the same deal with inter-planetary pro-creation. Genetics say it is impossible for two organisms from tow separate planets to procreate. Yet it happens all the time in Sci-fi movies.

If you really think about, Helena. Star Wars differs from Star Trek in that science is never explained or gone into depth in Star Wars.

Technology and science are merely scenery in Star Wars, and not the basis of plots.

#25 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:23 AM

I was just joking, really. I find the same kind of thing much less forgivable in Star Trek, though - because that is supposedly 'science fiction' as opposed to fantasy. But then, I hate Star Trek anyway.

#26 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 30 June 2004 - 09:28 PM

you wouldn't be able to see or hear laser fire in space either?

nor could such small ships manauver in such a manner...

and explain the light sabre...
(no really i still want to build one!!!)

#27 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:02 AM

then visit that shadow guy's website. It tells how they're made. (lame)

#28 User is offline   Commoner Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 05 July 2004 - 09:11 AM

Back to the spaceships in this movie, Lucas at one point said he would "explain" why the ships are so different from the prequels to the OT, but so far, we haven't even come close to the difference in the "fantasy" ships (Queen's cruiser)as opposed to the "working-man's-universe" ship (Millennium Falcon).

Another question for you. Have the ships in the PT any names? We had the Millennium Falcon and the Tantive IV, which was the charm of the OT, but we have nothing in the PT. I haven't bothered to read the novel adaptations, but I probably never will.

#29 User is offline   Rory Icon

• Supreme Master of all Lance & Eskimo and Chefelf Forums EVER
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:48 AM

Hey, Star Trek is cool. And they deserve some props for at least trying to explain how some things work.

#30 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2004 - 09:59 AM

Hey, Star Trek is cool. And they deserve some props for at least trying to explain how some things work.

Even if they butcher every single scientific and engineering concept? wink.gif

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size