• (3 Pages)
  • +

Prequel Ships have no "meat."

#1 User is offline   Commoner Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:43 PM

Just to add my quick gripe, especially looking at the little ship on that German Insider cover---why are all of the ships so little? Everything is so little in the Prequels? Well, I mean... The pod-racers seem small to me. The bongo-sub was small. The speeder on Coruscant seems...truncated. The Naboo fighters are small. Even the Queen's ship seemed small, and the droid ships... small. Obi-Wan's "Jedi Fighter" was small. I mean, where are the engines for crying out loud!!?? I'd expect a little more girth or "meat" to these ships.

OT ships were big and awesome and like a muscle car from the '50's.

Maybe it's just how they're shot. I mean, the X-wings seemed real, and large, and... whole, complete... material! Even the Tie-fighters seem bigger than any of the single-fighter crafts. Does this make sense?

#2 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:17 PM

That's a great point we've failed to mention until now. Ths ships in OT were all handmade models. They were large and thick. It was as if you could stretch your hand out and touch them on screen. The PT are just birght dazzling CG that if you did touch, would smear like butter.

TIE FIGHTER- BEST design by far! Totally off the wall concept of a ball with flat panels.

The Nabooean Fighters were bland and frightfully 50's. You know how if you hang really warm taffy on a stick, it droops down slowly leaving behind a wisspy tail. That is the first thing that came to my mine when I saw these ships.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#3 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:45 PM

And Obi-wan's two-part transport? wtf? IF he's in a hurry to get off the planet he just goes to wherever in orbit his deep space transport ring is? Astral mechanics aside, (lunar orbit rendezvous was described as pretty hairy in the apollo days) what sense would that make for a fast getaway? oh yeah, that's right. moot point. the Jedi are peacekeepers.

#4 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:24 AM

I hate the way the ships are so damn streamlined and shiny. They look like something from Star Trek or The Fifth Element. Real Star Wars ships do not look like this.

#5 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Jun 24 2004, 10:17 PM)
That's a great point we've failed to mention until now.  Ths ships in OT were all handmade models.  They were large and thick.  It was as if you could stretch your hand out and touch them on screen.  The PT are just birght dazzling CG that if you did touch, would smear like butter.

Exactly. I've been watching the untouched Ep. 4 these last nights and It's been great seeing Mos Eisley without all that BS CGI. And when the falcon left the space port, I didn't miss the whizbang cgi of the ship's ascent.

But when the falcon pulls into the DS, it IS some actual object the viewer wants to reach out and touch. With this as the standard, the SE falcon looks fake.

but it's that fake look that now ties the trilogies together I'm sorry to say, and little else.

#6 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:09 AM

One of the biggest inconsistencies with Special Edition ships was the new scene with Vader's super star destroyer at the end of the movie. They made it a light, silver colour that was really bright and shiny - when originally it was a very dark grey. With the millions of dollars they were spending on the "touch ups", couldn't they have at least tried to make the ships look consistent with the way they originally appeared.

#7 User is offline   superrepus Icon

• New Cop

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:08 PM

There is not a single ship in the PT that is unique. The Tie fighter, X-wing, Millenium Falcon, AT-AT's, etc., were all unique. BTW, why would you want a fighter that is painted yellow? Who's dumbassed idea was that? Let me guess...GL. Too many of the ships look like jets not starships.

No originality.

The ships for the PT should obviously be less far advanced than the ones in the OT. Every vehicle made for the PT seems like it was made for episodes occuring after the OT.

Please God, don't let GL make anything else Star Wars related.

#8 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 25 June 2004 - 04:30 PM

One of the biggest inconsistencies with Special Edition ships was the new scene with Vader's super star destroyer at the end of the movie. They made it a light, silver colour that was really bright and shiny - when originally it was a very dark grey. With the millions of dollars they were spending on the "touch ups", couldn't they have at least tried to make the ships look consistent with the way they originally appeared.

Why even touch them up in the first place?

The problem is, JYAMG, the animators. Lucas even described them as "young and overly eager to steal the show". Lucas could have wipped them more too, but he didn't. You got these over zealous young animators working on a legendary saga. These minons of Lucas (save the head overseer) are all working on month by month contracts. One guy is signed to finsh Yoda in 5 months, another guy is signed up to make banatha poodoo for 2 weeks etc....

Their time is limited so they want to leave their mark. The clone war was the biggest CG animator fuck fest since, well, ever! I'm sure if you watched that entire scene in slow motion, you'd catch at least 6 signatures and tags of the artists who worked on it.

Same goes with the touch up jobs in the OT. They over did it by about a factor of 10. That whole jabba scene was an outrage. yell.gif
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#9 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:11 PM

Why even touch them up in the first place?

There is absolutely no reason why they should do this and probably a few good reasons why they shouldn't - for example, we loved the movies as they were and we much prefer Han shooting first.

As for the animators, there's probably a lot in that. If its the case, then whoever was supervising it should be shot.

#10 User is offline   Commoner Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 26 June 2004 - 09:52 AM

You know, what really bugs me about the changes AGAIN to the Han shooting scene is that they're changing it AGAIN. It MUST mean that they are aware of fans who are complaining about it and the complaints themselves. It means that they're taking the time and effort to "fix" their "fix." It's so... counterproductive! Now that we'll most likely complain about the "fix" of the "fix," will they change it again--or will it mean they'll finally have the sense to put it back the way it was?

#11 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 26 June 2004 - 10:23 AM

They're going to fix it? They're listening to complaints?

Does this mean they might actually be releasing the movies in some way that we might actually be happy with?

This sounds too good to be true smile.gif ...

.... so it very probably isn't. sad.gif

#12 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2004 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (Commoner @ Jun 26 2004, 09:52 AM)
You know, what really bugs me about the changes AGAIN to the Han shooting scene is that they're changing it AGAIN. It MUST mean that they are aware of fans who are complaining about it and the complaints themselves. It means that they're taking the time and effort to "fix" their "fix." It's so... counterproductive! Now that we'll most likely complain about the "fix" of the "fix," will they change it again--or will it mean they'll finally have the sense to put it back the way it was?

Commoner:

Is this from an official source or is it just forum gossip? Can you post a link to where you heard this?

#13 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 26 June 2004 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Jun 26 2004, 10:23 AM)
They're going to fix it?  They're listening to complaints?

I saw something I'd forgotten during my recent untouched sw viewing.

In the garbage room, there's an eyeball on a stem that pops up, and some comical music. it was a fun moment. Tarkin and a princess and all this stuff going on, it really was a space opera. and kinda hokey at times. (Luke remembering 3po can save them in the garbage room- he's on the comlink- "Wait a minute! (a "duh" moment) Threepio!") it was fun.

Empire came out, and the advertising of the "saga" began. it was pretty serious overall. So maybe Lucas wanted to instill a little "classic" sw zaniness into Jedi? just a thought.

Hardliners hated Jedi's cutesy moments. And let Lucas know. So maybe now he's so gunshy about zany moments, everything has to be puffed up and serious all the time. ("Shut down all the garbage mashers in the detention level!" do you think they'd use a throwaway term like "mashers" these days?) Anikan brooding, ugh. I'm sick of it.

just a thought. JarJar kinda ruins my theory but I'm trying to understand.
"George doesn't tell us what he wants, we design the stuff and he tells us what he likes" or words to that effect- SW designers.

it's all bullshit. Don't rely on computers, Lucas. Use the force. that's what you sold us on from the beginning.

#14 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 26 June 2004 - 10:03 PM

the original ships were models based on a realistic portrail of a vehicle, the new ones are based on a few curvey lines drawn around the actors and rendered with CGI.

if anything, they make the prequels look like like they're set 1000 years after the OT.

#15 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 26 June 2004 - 11:21 PM

Re: Cutesy moments in Star Wars vs cutesy moments in Return of the Jedi.

The major difference for me was that the stuff in Star Wars was actually funny.*

* No debates on this will be entered into.

the original ships were models based on a realistic portrail of a vehicle, the new ones are based on a few curvey lines drawn around the actors and rendered with CGI.

if anything, they make the prequels look like like they're set 1000 years after the OT.

Hell, yes! Thank you, Barend.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size