Chefelf.com Night Life: Best Prequel News in, well, 5 years - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Best Prequel News in, well, 5 years Gary Oldman

#1 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:54 PM

Gary Oldman is apparently going to play General Grievous in Episode III, you know that robot guy with 2 or 4 lightsabers. This hopefully means that, yes, we may actually get a cool villain! I mean, Oldman can't act wooden, even with Lucas directing. Right? RIGHT?

#2 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 June 2004 - 06:24 PM

Sorry man, I sincerely doubt it. Oldman is an amazing actor, one of my all time favorites. But we all know what George can do to talented actors don't we? Grievous is CGI remember, which makes it even worse. Oldman as Georges puppet... I hate that thought. I'll try to keep my pessimism in check til I see it. Maybe he'll be alright, the odds aren't favorable though.
Look out for Oldman next year though, he's starring as Commisioner Gordon in the new Batman flick which looks very promising.

#3 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:12 PM

Deleted: Posted in wrong forum ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by Paladin: 24 June 2004 - 07:23 PM

#4 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:15 PM

Remember, George Lucas had Christopher Lee as well. And he went to waste too.

#5 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:09 PM

yes..............

not Gary too...

my top two favorite actors....

#6 User is offline   Commoner Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:22 PM

Oh gawd, not even he could save it. Oldman is brilliant and transcends these things. I just can't imagine him... it's... I... man, this is frustrating!!!

Man, I don't even know what to say....

#7 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:30 AM

Man, I don't even think Alan Rickman could save it - but I think he could help us through it.

#8 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 25 June 2004 - 05:12 AM

Sorry - I just find the whole idea of Grievous so stupid that I doubt even a good actor could save him. Still, I suppose it's just about possible.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#9 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:08 AM

I think Episode III is doomed to fail regardless...

This is meant to be all about Anakin Skywalker. But due to the terrible stories and Hayden Christiansen, our main character is someone who we have absolutely no sympathy for. Not only that, but he irritates the living shit out of us every time he's on the screen.

As he is the main character, I reason that he will therefore be on the screen A LOT in Episode III. As he will irritate the shit out of me with every second he appears, Episode III overall is already guaranteed to irritate the living shit out of me.

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:19 AM

come on guys....

if ep3 were the best movie, it wouldn't make up for shit!!!

#11 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:25 AM

You're right. We were just saying..

Actually, if Episode III was good (and I think we've covered this before), it would be the worst travesty of all - because we'd then know that we could have had a great prequel trilogy but didn't because Lucas wanted to fuck around for some reason.

However, I am not in the least bit worried that this is going to happen. Episode III will be shit - of this, I am absolutely certain.

And I am happy that it is going to be shit - because Chefelf will post another one of his lists and we will all be provided with heaps of new laughs at George Lucas' expense.

And once we finish having our laughs, we can get to the more serious business of extracting vengeance on that wretched creature.

#12 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:27 PM

Gary oldman is an amazing actor and is always a treat to watch..........................................................................b
ut

He did star in "The Scarlett Letter" AND "Hannibal"

So I don't think Gary Oldman automaticall makes a movie.

BTW, Lee Harvey Oswald {JFK} and Frankie Flannery{State of Grace} were Oldman's best roles IMO. cool.gif

#13 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:33 PM

Actually, if Episode III was good (and I think we've covered this before), it would be the worst travesty of all - because we'd then know that we could have had a great prequel trilogy but didn't because Lucas wanted to fuck around for some reason.

Kind of like, reading a book in which the first 7 chapters are awful but the last three a real good. It's still a bad book.

Man, I don't even think Alan Rickman could save it - but I think he could help us through it.

JYMAG!!!! Could you imagine how much better the PTs could be if Alan Rickman played Senator Palpatine!!!!!!!!!!

Man that would rock!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

IMO, I am of the belief that Alan Rickman should have won an Academy Award for best Actor for his role as Hans Gruber in Die Hard. I know it sounds crazy but he was an absolute joy to watch in that movie. cool.gif

#14 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:39 PM

So that's who that guy was.

I've only seen the diehards on tape, but they're fun kind of like that speed film. IMHO I think 24 is one of the best tv programs these days, and it owes a lot to the planning/execution of the forementioned films.

If the PT had been done with that kind of planning? ah, F it.

#15 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Mike Mac from NYU @ Jun 28 2004, 01:33 PM)
Could you imagine how much better the PTs could be if Alan Rickman played Senator Palpatine!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I think Ian McDiarmid (who plays Palps) is one of the only good things about the prequels. He's doing a very good job, there would be no need to replace him with Rickman.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size