Chefelf.com Night Life: Reader's Avatar vs. Heccubus' Avatar - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Reader's Avatar vs. Heccubus' Avatar

Poll: Reader's Avatar or Heccubus's Avatar?

Reader's Avatar or Heccubus's Avatar?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:30 PM

You're right, it looks as though he's got something stuck in his eye...

This post has been edited by Jane Sherwood: 24 June 2004 - 07:31 PM

Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#62 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Jun 24 2004, 05:01 AM)
I know. I wonder how the writers manage to keep tension in the stories... if he's invulnerable and can do anything with ease and nobody stands a chance of thwarting him, then how do the writers make a story? Perhaps Supes can enlighten us on this.

Supes has gone through many changes since his first appearance in 1938. Basically, power increases have related to the development of technology and our ever expanding world.

When he first appeared he couldn't fly, but rather just "leap" tall buildings. He couldn't move close to the speed of light, but rather was faster than a speeding bullet (strangely enough he still let them hit him more often than not). He wasn't strong enough to pull the moon back into its orbit, but rather was more powerful than a locomotive. He didn't have all the other powers and abilities like heat, telescopic, microscopic, x-ray vision or super breath. These all developed as technology developed.

As to how they have kept the readers engaged over the past 66 years. The majority of the great stories that I have read have related more to the "man" than the "super". Stories that examined responibility and purpose rather than just beat up the bad guys. Stan Lee coined the phrase in Spiderman "With great power comes great responsibility." But Superman was examiningthis concept before Spiderman was even conceived.

I'll admit that there have been periods where the writing has been lost in amoung the "super" aspect of the character and these stories are far less engaging. The stories that look at Clark as opposed to Kal-El have always engaged. Where you have a man in a gods body and how he maintains his grounding. It's a little strange when you think about a character like Superman, but it the stories about his humanity that really engage.

Most people will have been asked the question, what would you do if you had Superman's powers? And more often than not we have some sort of answer. Usually the answer is I do just what Superman does. How much ofthe truth that is is questionable. It would take a great character not to use this sort of power to exert your own will upon others. Particularly when you know that there is literally nothing on earth that can stop you. It would all be in a just cause, but where is the line draw? The Superman comics often pose these sort of questions in story format.

That aside, with the development of technology Superman has faced many opponents more powerful than himself. He's been killed and ressurected, beaten up and lost his powers. There re a great many things in the comic world that are there to challenge him now, but it's the human stores that still are the most engaging. It is why he has become an icon.

I would encourage people to read the Kingdom Come series as well as a series by Warren Ellis called Authority. They are the best examples I have found of this concept. What happens when the Supermen discover that they are strong and decide to take a more "active" role in the creating of a peaceful world.

As a side note this is post 666 for me, so please feel free to take my words however you want. biggrin.gif

As a second note, it's probably not a good idea to start me on Superman if you want short posts. tongue.gif
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#63 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:12 AM

That's okay. I wasn't after a short post. I was genuinely interested in how the writers make this concept work. Thank you for taking the time to write that up - it was very informative. I don't know what the chances are of me ever coming across Kingdom Come and Authority series - but if I see them, I'll take a look.

And 666 posts too - way to go, Supes.

#64 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:45 AM

yeah

[scroll]666[/scroll]

*it will look cooler once chefy installs the scroll feature!!!

#65 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:51 AM

Yeah, what's taking him so long? cool.gif

#66 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:51 AM

Might be related to its overall uselessness.

#67 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:52 AM

Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size