• +

Your very first time how was it?

#31 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 19 June 2004 - 10:26 AM

I also forgot to mention that the Hillcrest Drive-In, the Stanley and the Vogue theatre (where I saw JEDI) are all closed for movies. They reopen the Vogue every year for the Vancouver intenational Film Festival, but it's otherwise reverted to a stage venue as well, given to plays and concerts and the odd comedy show. I saw TPM at that damned Metropolis, that soul-barren box of stadium seats and six-dollar pizza slices. So the OT, more than being the series of films that brought me to a love of movies, is also the focus of a special Nostalgia, a reminder that you really can't go home again.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#32 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Being Chefelf's girlfriend has been an interest of mine for some time now. I also enjoy am interested in packing, unpacking, and organizing acres of cardboard boxes into a livable structure.

Posted 19 June 2004 - 12:07 PM

Out of all the films, the premiere viewing that I remember the most is the first time I saw The Empire Strikes Back. I was 6ish, which means it was 1984, and the movie had been out for a good six years. Anyhow, my mum and dad had gone off to do grown up things for the evening, so they had dumped my younger sister (who was 2) and me off for the evening at my dad's brother's house. My Uncle Gregg, who is a fabulous man in almost every respect, decided that a great evening's entertainment for his small nieces would be to rent a movie and have a pizza. However, as a man with no children of his own, he chose to make a homemade pizza that featured eggplant prominently, and he rented "The Empire Strikes Back." We scorned his homemade pizza as "yucky" and refused to eat the eggeplant slices because they were "really gross," and when we sat down to watch the movie, we only got as far as the scene where Luke disembowels that large llama-like thing on the ice planet before we let up howls of protest. "HE KILLED THE HORSEY THING!" we shrieked. "WORMS FELL OUT OF HIM!" My uncle's explanations fell on deaf ears, and he had to shut it off.

And I finally saw the rest of the movie a few months ago, a good 20 years later.

#33 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 19 June 2004 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (Jen @ Jun 19 2004, 12:07 PM)
And I finally saw the rest of the movie a few months ago, a good 20 years later.

And you thought it was amazing.... Riiiiiight? rolleyes.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#34 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Being Chefelf's girlfriend has been an interest of mine for some time now. I also enjoy am interested in packing, unpacking, and organizing acres of cardboard boxes into a livable structure.

Posted 19 June 2004 - 01:10 PM

I thought it was pretty good. I feel the same way about The Empire Strikes Back as I do about all the Star Wars movies: that they're amusing enough. I liked the Ewoks.

Yes, Chefelf Forum members: Chefelf fell in love with a girl who really liked the Ewoks.

Make of it what you will!

#35 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 19 June 2004 - 02:34 PM

I'd suspect that means you're a real sweet person.

my ex btw really liked JJ binks. I had to repeat view that aotc tripe because she wouldn't go opening night. It was sweet. I teased her about her fave character. Her (with all the innocence and wonder of a four-year old:) "you mean Jar-Jar gets to be a Senator?"

#36 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 19 June 2004 - 07:48 PM

I saw TPM at that damned Metropolis, that soul-barren box of stadium seats and six-dollar pizza slices

Metropolis is hell on earth. The stadium seating hurts my back. The chairs are so fucking stiff and straight. Every store is SO IN YOUR FACE. BUY BUY SELL SELL, ---Look at me! I'm a fucking shoe floating in gel here on display at the footlocker in metropolis. I'm Metropolis, home for the unruley little punk ass kids from all over the lower mainland. Take the sky train and enter through the back way so you can be harrassed by asian gang members it's a real treat.

I wish death on the man that devised Metropolis. I can't stand malls and metropolis is as bad as it gets (ok, west edmonton mall is worse).

I wish the stanely theatre would re-open. My commy pal once helped protest with the projectionists at all cineplex odeon theatres. The issue was sparked by the garnishing of wages. The projectionists went on strike, and so the theatre hired in SCABS.

Accoding to my pal, if cineplex increased ticket sales by 2 cents, then they could have achieved he same amount as garnishing the wages.

Long story short- Chris (the pinko commy) and the rest of the gang went ot go see RUSHMORE (awesome flick). Chris refused to cross the picket line with us, so to accommodate Chris, we went to some small shifty independent theatre on Denmen Street.

The expeirence was great! It felt cosy and loving. The film was hilarious, and the atmosphere was inviting.

In comparisson to Metropolis: Cold, uninviting, painful seats, $$ tickets, $$ food, 2 deg C in the theatre room.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#37 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 20 June 2004 - 05:18 PM

I thought it was pretty good. I feel the same way about The Empire Strikes Back as I do about all the Star Wars movies: that they're amusing enough. I liked the Ewoks.

Yes, Chefelf Forum members: Chefelf fell in love with a girl who really liked the Ewoks.

Make of it what you will!

"Behind every great man, there is an even greater woman"

You resemble that remark, Jen! smile.gif

I loved the Ewoks too, Jen. You are not alone.

#38 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:04 PM

I am going to let the remark slide. You too, Mike. Like Vwing said earlier, we are NOT getting into this.

#39 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2004 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jun 18 2004, 08:01 PM)
I was nine in 1977, and hadn't seen very many films in the theatre by that time. I was an avid comic book reader, mostly following the silver age marvel stuff and the chessiest cornball DC stuff I could get my hands on. I used to collect the Jimmy Olson and the (far superior, though corny as hell) Lois Lane stuff, as well as Flash and Shazam, of all things. For some reason I had no tolerance for cornball Batman syuff, so steered clear of all the stuff from a decade before; fortunately in the seventies Batman was on his own again and often quite serious.

Tell me that you still have all those comics Civ!

I'm a collector, but only really got into collecting in the early 90's. I'd had a heap of Spiderman comics from when I was a kid, but they have since dissapeared. No idea where they got too. But it sounds like you were reading the comics I've tried to collect as back issues for about 10 years or so. So are easy to get a hold of, but others - well that's comics I suppose. laugh.gif
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#40 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 21 June 2004 - 12:03 PM

In my twenties I gave all of my comics away, save a few that were too nostalgic (complete STAR WARS series among that number) to a childhood friend and fellow collector. There were numerous titles he tried to give back. He'd say "This is worth way too much money! I can't take it!" To which I'd say "Are you going to sell it?" And he'd say "God, no!"

My feeling was I moved around a lot in those days, and I was tired of moving the damn things. I never would have sold them, mementos as they were not only of a time in comic books but of a time in our lives. We even drew comics together as kids, and I always had better taste in buying than he had =) Knowing the books would always stay together was enough for me.

No, we aren't still in touch, but I'm sure he still has them.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#41 Guest_Madam Corvax_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 June 2004 - 03:04 PM

Well, I thought I will join you in this topic, just this once. I just could not resist and decided to post my only message in this forum. I am with you guys from the very beginning, Chefelf „reasons” were on my daily internet check and usually made my day at work when they appeared twice a month. In some other topic Paladin claimed that his country is the crappiest of all. I think my country can match his for crappiness for two reasons at least:
1. It has the most expensive phone and internet connection on this hemisphere, therefore I cannot afford to surf at home – I can only do it at work for half an hour a day
2. OT was shown in theatres (and you are not going to believe this, either) each episode only THREE YEARS after the release anywhere else in the world.
Thus, my first time was in a stinking provincial cinema in 1980. I was a wide-eyed nine-year-old then from a small town in a country behind the Iron Curtain, with economy in shambles, strikes upheaving the government and the nation stirring (the latter eventually led to a martial law a year later).

The only thing I remember from that first screening was the image of Luke wistfully watching the twin suns setting on Tatooine. I WAS Luke, an insignificant country kid dreaming of the world out there. I identified with him, I felt his longing. I suppose the films made a lot of impact on me just because I could identify with the characters. Look, mine was the country of which existence Lucas had not probably even heard, with lots and lots of problems, different culture, different language, different background. I was deprived in my youth of Tolkien – can you imagine that it wasn’t translated into my language until 1987, so I had no idea about all the analogies to LOTR? Nevertheless so universal was the message of the film that I was able to identify with it completely. That is, I think, the main problem with the prequels. Can you really identify with this piece of wood called Natalie Portman? Can you identify with Jake “Yipee” Lloyd?
Anyway, the ESB I saw in 1983, and there was a re-run of the first instalment, too. I do not remember how many times I went to the cinema. In 1986, when Jedi was finally shown, there was some disappointment, but at least I got an opportunity to watch the other two parts as well. (BTW, I hated the iron bikini for Carrie Fisher. How come in you bickering about the Jedi that you have never mentioned the clothes? This black outfit for Luke, a night-dress for Mon Mothma and a steel bikini for Leia were enough for me to hate the ROTJ. But I am a girl, of course wink.gif ).

So, that was my first time, I wonder how my last time will be. Despite Laura’s warning I am going to see it in a theatre, out of pure curiosity. I think Lucas painted himself into a corner with all the plot holes, and I would love to gloat over his total failure. Only, of course, it won’t be a failure. Certain scenes which are rumoured to be related to certain water sports will be “cool”, Hayden’s new hairdo will be ”cool”, new ships will be “cool”, and “coolness” will make up for the lack of just about everything else bar FX and CGI.. Which is all the general public learnt to care for in a movie. I can only hope that Lucas is no Tarantino, so his flicks will not be remember just for the coolness’s sake.
All the best to you, guys
Madam Corvax

#42 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 June 2004 - 05:46 PM

That was an interesting post. smile.gif I am curious, though, what country are you from? I have a general idea of where your country is but I'm curious now as to which particular country you are from?

As for the metal bikini... I think the large percentage of male posters here is why that element has not been too highly criticized. rolleyes.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#43 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 21 June 2004 - 08:58 PM

Yes.

btw, there's a new Star Wars Unleeched series of 4 "action figures." (they don't have motion skills like the old action figures methinks.) One is of the sexified Princess Leia. (and one of the Emperor is called in every reference I've seen, "Darth Sidious.")

So I guess He'll have that name in the OT SE DVD release. Damn you, Lucas.

Nice post, Madam C. smile.gif

#44 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:51 PM

I saw at the cinema in 1978, I was like 2 years old... I was overwhelmed even though I didn't really understand the story that much, but repeated viewings over the next year or so drilled it in quite well. My best friend growing up had them on reel, and we used to watch them on nearly a daily basis before we had to go to school.

I saw all at the cinema, and loved them to death. It wasn't part of my childhood. It WAS my childhood!!!

#45 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 22 June 2004 - 12:27 AM

Very good post, Madam Corvax. You gave us all a very different perspective on the whole Star Wars phenonemon there. Thanks for the good wishes too. smile.gif

• (5 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size