Chefelf.com Night Life: Bea Arthur: Goodnight, but not Goodbye - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Bea Arthur: Goodnight, but not Goodbye Sunday, April 26, 2009

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:57 PM

Bea Arthur: Goodnight, but not Goodbye

I was sad to learn of Bea Arthur's passing this afternoon. My first instinct is to pay a loving tribute to Dorothy Zbornak (née Petrillo). After all, this is how most of my generation learned of Bea Arthur. Maude was a little too early for me to truly appreciate. I have vivid memories of watching The Golden Girls with my parents every Saturday night. I didn't realize at that young age that Bea Arthur always played the same type of character: an exceptionally sarcastic woman designed to cut down nitwitted and slutty older women. Well, maybe that was just her character on The Golden Girls.

In tribute, I'd like to bid farewell to Ackmena, her character from The Star Wars Holiday Special.. She steals the show in this film (not that there was much to steal) and I have long argued that her performance is one of the few truly great moments in the special. Watch it now and see if you don't agree. (You will definitely agree. It's fantastic!)

Goodnight, Bea Arthur, but not goodbye!

See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:27 AM

Not to discredit her acting ability in the least, but I did fast-forward this part of the Holiday Special... along with others.

#3 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:31 AM

I remember checking out a few Golden Girls episodes when I was a kid and there wasnt much on. Still, when I was reading the news, I kept wondering "hmmm who would dare to mention the holiday special"

I guess thats always what i think of just cuz i wasnt old enough for maude. It seems like i missed a lot

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#4 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:05 AM

"That old compromisin', enterprisin', anything but tranquilizing,
Right on Maude!"

Probably the only character in a sitcom to have an abortion (definitely the first), Maude was the counterpart to Archie Bunker: a knee-jerk liberal who often made a fool of herself by not exactly understanding her own politics or by going too far with them.

I was in grade school when that series was on, and don't remember it well. I remember All in the Family better, probably because Maureen Stapleton put on a funny voice. Or maybe because my parents watched it more.

I was also in grade school when the Star Wars Holiday Special aired, and I did see it then. I couldn't really believe what I had seen, and the only things I talked about at school the next day were the water planet stuff taken from the Marvel comic and the bit where Maude did a song and dance in the Tatooine bar.

"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#5 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:10 PM

...and then there's Maude, and then there's Maude.

Maude had many repeasts in the 80s here. I remember it as well as the Golden Girls. She was also on a game show down here once, and she was awesome with Agro (A fury deviant puppet on Australian TV in the 80s and early 90s).

#6 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:39 PM

Not to nitpick, but the day after the SWHS aired, was a Saturday. smile.gif

God Bless Bea Arthur. And God rest her wardrobe.

#7 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:22 PM

Lol. I'm 40. I remember talking about it in school after I saw it, but no way do I remember what day of the week it aired!
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size