• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Geaorge Lucarse the woo maker...

#16 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:46 PM

Maybe it's a freudian slip.

("I am so in the dark on where this is going...) Hey! Do you have the new stormtrooper outfits yet? You! What about Ewan's hair? You know what we're going for, Right?"

#17 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:47 PM

I don't see why Naboo even had to exist in the first place. Wasn't Leia supposed to come from Alderaan? I concocted a scenario like this for the romance:

Padme is the daughter of the king of Alderaan, who has little political power but nevertheless represents the planet in the Senate, along with Palpatine. When all the trouble with the Separatists or whatever breaks out, he is threatened with assassination and Obi-Wan and Anakin are assigned to guard him. Padme falls in love with Anakin, and though it's forbidden for both of them (he's a Jedi, she's a princess, blah blah) they secretly promise to be faithful to each other.

Then the Clone Wars break out and Anakin goes off to fight. A few years later, with the war still raging, Padme's father dies suddenly and mysteriously (engineered by Palpatine, who thinks Padme will be easier to manipulate) and she is thrust into the role of Queen. She considers abdicating, but is persuaded not to on the grounds that it would cause a constitutional crisis. She is also pressured into an arranged marriage with Bail Organa, the son of another noble family with a competing claim to Alderaan's throne.

Believing that she will probably never see Anakin again, she eventually agrees to the marriage. Anakin gets to hear of this and rushes back from the war, managing to visit her in secret a few days before the wedding is due to take place. They argue, and she evenutally breaks down and confesses that she still loves him. They spend the night together, and afterwards he begs her to come away with him - but she refuses, insisting that she must do what she considers to be her duty. Angry and bitter, Anakin returns to the war (Padme will later blame herself for starting him down the path to the Dark Side).

Soon afterwards, Padme realises that she is pregnant and that the child is Anakin's. She manages to contact Obi-Wan, who she became friends with before the war, and confesses all; he advises her to let her husband believe the child is his own. However, she gives birth (to twins, unexpectedly) at a time when her husband is absent from the planet. Since Anakin is already well on the way to the Dark Side at this point, Obi-Wan advises her that the twins should be separated in case Anakin ever finds out that they are his. She reluctantly agrees; Leia remains on Alderaan, while Obi-Wan takes Luke to Tatooine and then leaves to pursue Anakin. Leia grows up believing herself to be Bail Organa's daughter; Padme dies a few years later, after the formation of the Empire.

OK, so it's cheesy and sounds like a bad romance novel, but I respectfully submit that it's at least better than what Lucas came up with. Coming up with a plausible explanation for the Clone Wars and Palpatine's rise to power, however, is another matter altogether - not to mention the question of how Anakin becomes involved with his schemes. Any takers?
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#18 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 02 June 2004 - 03:04 PM

I don't see why Naboo even had to exist in the first place. Wasn't Leia supposed to come from Alderaan? I concocted a scenario like this for the romance:

Naboo is an example of a plot device gone awry. Lucas is trying to capitalize on that 'mystery' aspects of the OT. Problem is that there was no mystery and Naboo just became a an unnecessary and confusing.

You could have streamlined the whole plot by turning Naboo into Alderaan.

Padme is the daughter of the king of Alderaan, who has little political power but nevertheless represents the planet in the Senate, along with Palpatine. When all the trouble with the Separatists or whatever breaks out, he is threatened with assassination and Obi-Wan and Anakin are assigned to guard him. Padme falls in love with Anakin, and though it's forbidden for both of them (he's a Jedi, she's a princess, blah blah) they secretly promise to be faithful to each other."

Nice plot idea. But It include that stupid "Jedi chastity" rule which I can't stand in the prequels. I mean what makes more sense, to keep looking around the universe for potential jedi or to make them on your own by procreation. These are jedis, not catholic priests. [Although, you have to wonder about Yoda and those littel kids.....................oops forgive me, lord!!! unsure.gif }

OK, so it's cheesy and sounds like a bad romance novel, but I respectfully submit that it's at least better than what Lucas came up with. Coming up with a plausible explanation for the Clone Wars and Palpatine's rise to power, however, is another matter altogether - not to mention the question of how Anakin becomes involved with his schemes. Any takers?"

Your idea is not that bad. It certainly is better than what Lucas did and more watcheable. Some critique

The good

1. You actually are the only person on this site that understands the 'fantasy" and 'romance' elements of Star Wars and how vital they are. Most of the movie concepts seen on this sight are done with just the sci-fi, political intrigue and 'mystery' elements of Star Wars. Kudos to you for discovering that

2. You are also the only person who share my idea that Bail Organa and "Padme" had some type of arranged marriage. That concept is the crux of my redux of the Pt films. In that redux, Bail and Padme marry because only royalty marries royalty, not commoners or peasants like Anakin. To me that is prime ground for some darkside development in Anakin. Second Kudos.

3. All your really missing are some actions scenes, development of Obi-Wan, political intrigue, Jedi mythology and you've got a trilogy.

4. Palpatine's vendeta against Alderaan royal family. Great! Another one of my devices. Have you been hacking into my computer? tongue.gif I find the idea of Palpatine wanting rto destroy the Alderannian royal family, to be a great touch. And good motivation to palpatines character.

The Bad

1. You're right. You blew the romance stuff out of proportion. We really only need a couple of scenes of romance. like with the Leia and Han romance.

#19 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 02 June 2004 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (Mike Mac from NYU @ Jun 2 2004, 09:04 PM)
Nice plot idea. But It include that  stupid "Jedi chastity" rule which I can't stand in the prequels. I mean what makes more sense, to keep looking around the universe for potential jedi or to make them on your own by procreation. These are jedis, not catholic priests. [Although, you have to wonder about Yoda and those littel kids.....................oops forgive me, lord!!! unsure.gif }

I actually don't mind that one too much. I think the idea is that love is such a powerful emotion, it can easily cause people to lose their self-control (which is particularly dangerous for a Jedi). As to Jedi having children, presumably if there were more Force-sensitive people around you'd probably end up with a lot more Sith than Jedi. And heck, it's a useful plot device...

1. You actually are the only person on this site that understands the 'fantasy" and 'romance' elements of Star Wars and how vital they are. Most of the movie concepts seen on this sight are done with just the sci-fi, political intrigue and 'mystery' elements of Star Wars. Kudos to you for discovering that

I was actually really disappointed by the way Lucas handled the political aspects of the prequel trilogy, as well. As a Politics student, I'm one of the few people in the world who might have found the 'seperatists' plot reasonably interesting - if only Lucas had bothered to develop it properly and make it vaguely plausible. But we're never told why the seperatists want to secede from the Republic, or why all these special interest groups like the Trade Federation have so much clout in the Senate, or why the 'political idealist' Dooku is supporting them, or exactly how Sidious is involved in all of this. And as for all the stuff about child politicians and elected monarchs and two-term limits, that just made me cringe.

3. All your really missing are some actions scenes, development of Obi-Wan, political intrigue, Jedi mythology and you've got a trilogy.

My idea was really just about the romance aspect. I could probably come up with ideas for all the other stuff as well, but it would take a lot longer. Just for the main plot, you've got to explain how Anakin became a Jedi (and how he falls to the Dark Side), the background to the Clone Wars, the internal tensions within the Republic that lead to its collapse, the reason why Palpatine/Sidious manages to escape the notice of the Jedi... and make it all fit in with what we're told in the OT. (Lucas seems to have simply given up on that last one...)

The Bad

1. You're right. You blew the romance stuff out of proportion. We really only need a couple of scenes of romance. like with the Leia and Han romance.

It sounds like a lot, but remember that it would be spread over 3 movies. You'd only need 1 or 2 romance scenes in each one.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#20 User is offline   Private Zod Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Post icon  Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:34 PM

I like your idea overall Helena. However, I have liked the majority of different ideas board members have posted for their version of how these movies should have played out. Is everyone that creative, or has Lucas just laid a colossal egg? Me thinks it is the latter.

#21 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (Mike Mac from NYU @ Jun 2 2004, 10:35 AM)
1. It makes the liberation of Naboo into too much of a storyline in the overall trilogy. I think Naboo's importance is already overblown in this damn trilogy.

who says it would be liberated?
at least in the first film...

queen in exile, protected by Jedi makes a better love story... that way they are more familiar with each other and he would have a more realistic chance of getting together with her, by having been there for her for a few years.. rather than by showing up and saying scary stalker-grade pick up lines.

2. It sort of creates an 'unhappy" ending for the first movie of the trilogy. You know the bad guys win concept that Empire Strikes Back developed. I don't think it is wise to do this, especially when the 2nd and third movies will have 'unhappy endings'. Hence you would have three movies that end with the bad guys winning in the end. Don;t know if this is good for the trilogy ona  whole

Palpatine could launch an assult on the trade federation (betraying them) and recapturing all the planets they take, and creating a debt and trust in the people of many planets thus building his footing for his rise to power...

3. It would kind of make the whole plot structure of Episode 1 pointless. I mean Episode 1 is about the liberation of Naboo. You would probably have to restructure the whole theme of Episode 1. [Which might not be a bad thing}

The plot structure of Episode 1 IS pointless!!!!

think of the victory pattern
ep1 bad guys, e2 good guys, 3 bad, 4 good, 5 bad, 6 good!!!!!!!!!!

they're war films... ep3 could still have a happy ending.
Theoden dies in ROTK, Frodo injuries claim him and he and bilbo leave middle earth forever... Many orcs survive. but it's a happy ending....

the Empire winning would seem like a happy ending... most of the galaxy is probably quite content with them to start of with, and are benifited by them initially... Ep3. could have ended with the empire being this great new system that brings security and protection to the galaxy. and the coruptive nature of it would not seem obvious until sometime between ep3 and ep4, and even by then, only to the rebel alliance, who probably do not represent all planets and systems. many areas under imperial rule are probably in agreeance, ignorance, or just plain neutral.

there has to be more than the two sides represented by the main characters.

#22 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:47 PM

I responded after reading only the first page... oops.

but still read what i wrote...

but, Helena!!! damn girl! that's some compelling stuff there!!!
I quite like that idea... that's one of the best alternatives i've heard.

and interwoven with some rich but simple polotics, and heart pounding action... that'd be quite a groovy film.

but, then... that's one of the real probs so far...
without the human side of the story, Sci-Fi doesn't work... and as i've said before... scf-fi prequels to a fantasy trilogy REALLY screws it up!!!

#23 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:32 PM

I've got to say, Helena, that what you presented as a romance, and feels more like a romance more than what was presented in AOTC!!

I think the romance should've been true romance, to make the relationship more tragic, to make Anakin more tragic and sad rather than pathetic and apathetic.

If I saw a relationship like Anakin's and Padme's back in high school and they broke up, I'd say, "so what." or "Good." I don't care for these two. To make the PT's work, and to make the OT's work, we must have a solid, real romance. Just like there should be a solid, real friendship between Anakin and Obi-Wan. In order for there to be tragedy, the stakes must be high!!

Bravo, Helena.

This post has been edited by CowboyCurtis: 02 June 2004 - 11:34 PM

Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#24 Guest_Heed! Pants!... NOW!_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:52 AM

helena, great take on the romance/political aspects of the prequels.

what is truly dissappointing, i think, is the lack of friendship displayed by obi-wan and anakin. these guys act like they are forced to be together, and can't stand each other most of the time.

"...and he was a good friend" - obi-wan

bullshit!

i also cannot, CANNOT forgive lucas for making qui gon the man who finds anakin instead of obi-wan. i mean, in episode IV, obi-wan is tormented and has regrets for not being a good instructor to anakin, and therefore he feels responsible for the creation of vader. episode IV is about an old man's chance to redeem himself. but that's all for not - as we know he was FORCED to train anakin at a dying man's request.

'i thought i could train your father as well as yoda trained me. i was wrong.'

bullshit, and double-bullshit. yoda never trained obi-wan in the prequels. thanks, lucas.

#25 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:39 AM

Didn't I only check this thread last night? Damn, there's been a lot of replies since then.

Okay, first things first -

Mike, you said this about the suggestion of Naboo being annexed -

2. It sort of creates an 'unhappy" ending for the first movie of the trilogy.

Nonsense! It creates a very happy ending. The annoying people of Naboo will never travel to other planets again and the gungans will be most likely enslaved or all killed, maybe even with Jar Jar among the dead ( biggrin.gif ) !!!!

Maybe the whole planet could be later used for Star Destroyer planetary bombardment practice.

Okay, that said... onto Helena's work.

I really like your ideas Helena. And OF COURSE they're better than anything George Lucas could come up with.

And Mike.... you said this to Helena....

1. You actually are the only person on this site that understands the 'fantasy" and 'romance' elements of Star Wars and how vital they are.

It's funny you should mention 'fantasy' and 'romance', as you are always rushing to the defence of Return of the Jedi, the one movie from the original trilogy that had neither.

#26 Guest_Mike Mac From NYU_*

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:38 PM

It's funny you should mention 'fantasy' and 'romance', as you are always rushing to the defence of Return of the Jedi, the one movie from the original trilogy that had neither.

IMO, Return of the Jedi has plenty of 'fantasy" elements in it. Probably more than Empire Strikes back.

1.Think of the Ewoks and the lost princess in the woods being rescued by the "litte small dwarf-like" people.

2. Princess captured by a ruthless king, rescued by a young knight who is secretly her brother. Including a spectacular scene where he holds her and swings her to safety from a burning structure.

3. The dark wizard threatening to corrupt and cast a spell over the young neophyte knight. The same evil influence that captured his father.

Sound familliar, "Boromir"?

The "triangle" between Luke, Leia & Han qualifies as a romance element in my book. In fact it is the resolution and extension of the tension of the romance developed in "Empire Strikes Back"

JYAMG, you just hate ROTJ, I understand that an respect that. But I disagree with that, and thus ends the debate.

#27 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:33 PM

mike, you didn't respond to my LOONG post...
what do think, eh?

just curious...
+ spent ages typing!!!

#28 Guest_Mike Mac From NYU_*

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:17 PM

"mike, you didn't respond to my LOONG post...
what do think, eh?

just curious...
+ spent ages typing!!! "

Haven't forgoten you barend! I'm having trouble loggin in for some f'ing reason. Will respond soon.

#29 Guest_Mike Mac From NYU_*

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:59 PM

A screw it

To barrend: {Here it goes a REALLY Long Post!!!}

who says it would be liberated?
at least in the first film...

"queen in exile, protected by Jedi makes a better love story... that way they are more familiar with each other and he would have a more realistic chance of getting together with her, by having been there for her for a few years.. rather than by showing up and saying scary stalker-grade pick up lines."

Your right it was stupid to have a romance between Anakin and Padme, when they hadn;t seen each other for like 13 years!!!

Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme need to have been close together during the time span of events between Episode 1 & 2.

But a simple way to do that would be to just have Obi-Wan and Anakin stay Naboo during the whole events between Ep. 1 & 2. Protecting the Queen and helping defend Naboo from the Trade Federation. Obi-Wan could teach Anakin while they are on Naboo. Which makes it much more likely that Anakin would be poorly trained by Obi-Wan. I mean if Obi-Wan was training Anakin with other Jedi around, don;t you think the other Jedi would notice if there was something wrong with Anakin's learning. I also imagine that Anakin might pick up some good Jedi teaching from just being around other Jedis. Obi-Wan could be the general of the Naboo defense force or something. {Yeah, Lucas. Remember General Kenobi!!} Come to think of it, there was nothing in Episode 1 that said that Obi-Wan & Anakin even left Naboo in the first place. Episode II brings the whole stupid 'I left for 13 years, Padme! Now look at me!!" type scenario.

"Palpatine could launch an assult on the trade federation (betraying them) and recapturing all the planets they take, and creating a debt and trust in the people of many planets thus building his footing for his rise to power..."

Very good idea, barend. Thought up the same thing,. Palpatine could then go to the Senate and demand that new improvements be made to the "New Republic" Armys and Fleet. Things like new soldier armor, new space ships and fighters. The senators from other worlds are so frightened by the trade fedaration that they agree to Palpatine's request and give him the funding. Palapatine also gets funding by his corrupt officials. Palpatine then gives the Imperial Fleet Admirals complete control over their systems. These admirals eventually become the Governors of the Imperial Garrisons.

I don;t think you have to have Palpatine do an act of assault on the trade fedaration. I think the fact that Palpatiine is Amidala's senator and that he becomes chancellor is good enough motive and back story.

"The plot structure of Episode 1 IS pointless!!!!"

The plot -

1. Two Jedis on a diplomatic mission that goes awry, attempt to help a queen liberate her planet. Along their trek they encounter a young Jedi boy who may hold the key to a prophecy.

Actually quite simple when you think of it. And probably the simplest plot of all the Star Wars episodes.

The point of Episode I is that the players are introduced and the scenario is set.

"they're war films... ep3 could still have a happy ending.
Theoden dies in ROTK, Frodo injuries claim him and he and bilbo leave middle earth forever... Many orcs survive. but it's a happy ending...."

I think you miss my point. Episode III should NOT have a happy ending. Amidala dies, the Empire begins to develop, Anakin gets burned, the friendship between Obi-Wan and Anakin is done, the Jedi start being killed. It's not supposed to be a happy ending. Hell the trilogy on a whole is going to end on an unhappy ending.

My contention was that if you potentially have all the movies in the trilogy without a happy ending!!! You have to be carefull, barend. episode 1 needs to have an upbeat ending and general good feel about the outcome of the story. Especially considering what ultimately happens in the end.

I dispute the contention that Star Wars films are "War' films. Despite the name, in the OT you are only getting a snapshot of this war via the life of one Luke Skywalker. Ultimateley the purpose of Star Wars is not to 'tell" this intergalactic war, but to detail the story of "Luke Skywalker". The same goes for the PT. The PTs job is to detail the story of "Luke Skywalker" as well by telling the story of his father.

"the Empire winning would seem like a happy ending... most of the galaxy is probably quite content with them to start of with, and are benifited by them initially... Ep3. could have ended with the empire being this great new system that brings security and protection to the galaxy. and the coruptive nature of it would not seem obvious until sometime between ep3 and ep4, and even by then, only to the rebel alliance, who probably do not represent all planets and systems. many areas under imperial rule are probably in agreeance, ignorance, or just plain neutral."

The Empire winning being a good thing at the end of Episode 3.

No offense, barend.. But that is a horrible idea. one that Lucas would come up with. It would make the OT into a mockery. And it would be next to impossible to spin the Empire as the good guys {not to mention confusing} , since it's obvious to a 12 year old that the Empire is up to no good.

#30 Guest_Mike Mac From NYU_*

Posted 04 June 2004 - 12:12 AM

Another thing.

Which movie did you plan to have the liberation of Naboo finally occur. End of Episode III? If you do it in Episode II it might not have the impact you expect.

If you are going to go via the Naboo takeover, liberation route, you would probably have to have it happen in Episode II and end in Episode III.

Also the whole Naboo liberation might be lost amongst all the other plots.

What's more important to your story idea?

1. Having a plot revolving around the fate of Naboo
2. Exiling Amidala
3. Or giving sufficient time and setting for a Amidala & Anakin romance

IMO, I think ultimately you are doing #1 & #2 to get to #3. Why go through all that? There are other less plot specific ways to get to your target #3.

"Never create unnecessary or roundabout plot devices for the sake of continuity" At least that's what I heard.

• (17 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked