• +

It. Is. Here. Do not read unless you like ep3 spoilers

#31 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:34 AM

So maybe we've been looking at this wrong. Maybe Anakin is evil because of years of abuse and neglect from his mother. And here's yet another interesting question. Obi-wan and Jar Jar both know that Anakin has a fragging bomb in his head, as Does Watto. Soon as we get the idea that Anakin is misbehaving shouldn't any of them just press the button to turn darth vader into darth crater? Stupid stupid stupid!

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#32 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:41 AM

Shit, I had completely forgotten about that fraggin bomb. Man, I would have hit the button myself if audience interaction was possible. Hey, there's an idea - make Episode III interactual so we can do things to characters we don't like.... virtually blow Anakin into atomic sized particles and do something very horrible to Jar Jar Binks - maybe with a high voltage electric shock device, a flame thrower or something like that. I'd also like to run him over in a virtual air speeder or drop him from a great height. Come to think of it, I'd also like to do that to George Lucas as well....

.... sorry, I got a bit carried away there.

#33 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:20 AM

You weren't the only one movie goer, apparently Anakin and Lucas forgot about it as well. Oooh yeah that would be sweet. And they could have a little scratch and snif pad so you could smell the burnt gungan flesh. Somehow I seriously believe that Lucas will avoid killing Jar Jar, if he does there is no justice in the world and Jar Jar will be free to invade the original episodes in the next special editions, which will likely just be star vehicles for BOBA FETT!

Speaking of Boba Fett, I really think that what Lucas should do is forget about movies and just host an animated late night talk show on Cartoon Network with Jar Jar Binks as his band leader and Boba Fett to handle the technical stuff. Not only could they then be left to their own means but the three worst parts about the prequels would be gone. Anyone who got the reference to Space Ghost Coast to Coast is bad-ass.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#34 User is offline   DistantAngel Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:16 AM

Barend mentioned the idea that Anakin should be portrayed more like Boromir than Gollum, once again making the point that Lucas STOLE, erhm, sorry, was inspired by LOTR. Actually, I think Anakin should be more like Gollum, if anything.

Gollum is not supposed to be the hate figure of LOTR although, due to incredibly skillful writing (and directing by Mr Jackson), you will often find yourself wanting to give the scrawny wretch a damn good kicking (same goes for Anakin, although this is due more to stupid writing, not skillful writing). Gollum, as a character, is one that you're supposed to pity. He didn't want this ring, but like everyone who comes into contact with it, he is seduced by it - the power that it offers is awesome, and it takes a strong mind to resist it. Gollum is corrupted by his own weakness, as is everyone ... he is not inherently evil - malicious and sneaky, yes, but not actually evil. He represents the ultimate depth that someone can plumb when seduced by the power of the ring, and serves as a warning to those who crave it - but it is the ring, and it's creator, that are evil.

Gollum is supposed to be pitied because he has been all but robbed of his free will, and now has little choice but obey the ring - to be without it causes pain - to be with it causes relief, albeit a short-lived relief which will betray the wearer to his death. Free will is the greatest gift a sentient creature can have; the ability and the right to choose for oneself how to live their life - the freedom to do as one wishes. To be stripped of this is perhaps the most intense tragedy that can befall anyone ... it's this idea that Lucas was clearly trying to embody with "the Dark Side". He even uses the same language; Vader was "seduced" by the dark side; "It is too late for me, my son" suggesting that the corruption can become too great (as it is suggested with Gollum, and that he is beyond redemption) - Lucas essentially took the ring, and turned it into the "dark side", but dumbed it down somewhat.

In SW, the dark side is seductive, its power is impressive and cool, and sat in that audience we too found it difficult to resist. At least, that was in ESB ... when we got to ROTJ the dark side seemed a bit gay and easy to defeat (lots of talking and a fight, no problem!) In the prequel trilogy, it seemed like the dark side had lost its cool and become some kind of corrupt government that chatted a lot and passed resolutions and took power by stealth rather than by force. Lucas has taken universally intriguing subjects like power and corruption, and turned them into the dullest things ever - stuff we no longer care about - as long as that stroppy teenager gets mangled and shoved into a black plastic suit, we don't care anymore. I don't pity Anakin, and I should - in order to be redeemed, there has to be something worth redeeming. There is no good in him - he's a miserable, murderous git, with all the charm of a unflushed toilet - when the prequel and original trilogies are watched in sequence, we'll get to ROTJ and think "screw him, Luke! Leave the tosser to blow up!" All that work establishing Vader as a potentially human character 20 years ago has been ruined ...

In fact, that's the only pity ...

#35 User is offline   Ferris Wiel Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (Private Zod @ May 30 2004, 09:33 PM)
I'll admit, I do not think that summary is 100% accurate:

Why? Lucas has fucked up alot of things in the prequesl so far, however, I cannot believe he will make ANakin:

1. Solely responsible for Padme's death
and
2. Kill a group of jedi children.

There will be absolutley no possible way that there could be any good from Anakin if this is to happen. He is pure evil from beginning to end. Why would you give a fuck is he is redeemed by ROTJ, nothing he had done in his entire life up until then would give you any indication that he had any trace of good in him.

I am getting to the point where I am going to have to tel my future children that Lucas only made 3 Star Wars films, the new trilogy never existed.

Wait a tick...

But I thought Padme was Mon Mothma...

laugh.gif

Okay, I couldn't say it with a straight face. Did you know this is a genuine debate, though, among the PT fans?

--FW

#36 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:42 AM

Gollum was creepy, and said things out loud he should not have...
as did annie

Bormoir was cunning warrior, and a good friend, who was taken by the darkside.

#37 User is offline   Rory Icon

• Supreme Master of all Lance & Eskimo and Chefelf Forums EVER
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:54 AM

What if they just took out the bomb?

#38 Guest_Helena_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (DistantAngel @ Jun 1 2004, 11:16 AM)
Gollum is supposed to be pitied because he has been all but robbed of his free will, and now has little choice but obey the ring - to be without it causes pain - to be with it causes relief, albeit a short-lived relief which will betray the wearer to his death.  Free will is the greatest gift a sentient creature can have; the ability and the right to choose for oneself how to live their life - the freedom to do as one wishes.  To be stripped of this is perhaps the most intense tragedy that can befall anyone ... it's this idea that Lucas was clearly trying to embody with "the Dark Side".  He even uses the same language; Vader was "seduced" by the dark side; "It is too late for me, my son" suggesting that the corruption can become too great (as it is suggested with Gollum, and that he is beyond redemption) - Lucas essentially took the ring, and turned it into the "dark side", but dumbed it down somewhat.

OK, I admit that it's a long time since I saw Fellowship of the Ring and even longer since I read the books, but wasn't that pretty much what happened to Boromir? As in, he was a basically good person who was seduced by the power of the Ring - only in his case, he was killed before his 'corruption' could proceed any further. The point is that he was a reasonably sympathetic character whereas Gollum, like Anakin, is creepy and irritating.

I don't pity Anakin, and I should - in order to be redeemed, there has to be something worth redeeming.  There is no good in him - he's a miserable, murderous git, with all the charm of a unflushed toilet - when the prequel and original trilogies are watched in sequence, we'll get to ROTJ and think "screw him, Luke!  Leave the tosser to blow up!"  All that work establishing Vader as a potentially human character 20 years ago has been ruined ...

Well, precisely. Even Gollum is easier to pity than Anakin, who had no real reason to go to the Dark Side. I also feel sorry for the people who watch the series in sequence - presuming that the Episode III plot is anything close to what's been suggested, anyone going from Episode III to Episode IV is going to think Lucas must be utterly insane. "What happened to all the huge battles and lightsaber duels and gratuitous violence? That charismatic, imposing bad guy is Anakin Skywalker?"

#39 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:43 PM

Helena, join us. You don't know the POWER of the Chefelf.com Night Life Forum members. JOIN US!!!
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#40 User is offline   Ferris Wiel Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Jun 1 2004, 03:43 PM)
Helena, join us. You don't know the POWER of the Chefelf.com Night Life Forum members. JOIN US!!!

You're pretty seductive, Chefelf.

--FW

#41 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Jun 1 2004, 09:43 PM)
Helena, join us.  You don't know the POWER of the Chefelf.com Night Life Forum members.  JOIN US!!!

NO!!! I will NEVER join y- ah, what the hell.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#42 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:23 PM

Hooray!!!!:)

#43 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:23 PM

I mean... YIPEEEE!

#44 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:10 AM

Rory- With all that Lucas has forgotten I don't think he has the attention span to remember to do something like that.

Helena- Yes, join us. The old republic you serve is corrupt in some way, also there's issues about trade routes and so we've decided to seperate because of our ideals. It's all very confusing so it's best just not to think about it and join us without asking any awkward questions.

#45 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:28 AM

Damn, I was reading the posts and it got me to thinking horrible thoughts about Anakin acting more like Boromir or vice versa... Sorry but I don't like to suffer alone.

Boromir: Have you ever been called home by the white tower of Ikthalion? It's dry and coarse and it gets everywhere! Not like here, here everything is soft, smooth...

Aragorn: ...

Anduril: SHEEEEENG!!!

( For those who don't know Anduril is Aragorn's sword, the shards of Isildur's blade Narsil reforged. It means flame of the west and though he didn't have it at the time I think that can be overlooked because "Aragorn's ranger sword" just dosn't sound as cool. )

• (5 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size