Chefelf.com Night Life: Howard Government 'knew of torture' - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Howard Government 'knew of torture' Tuesday, May 11, 2004

#1 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:13 AM

Howard Government 'knew of torture'
May 11, 2004

THE Australian Government was told at least two months ago that prisoners in Iraq were being tortured by US soldiers, human rights groups have revealed.

Amnesty International also raised concerns over the possible torture of prisoners in the US-run Guantanamo Bay camp last October.

But the concerns were dismissed by the Government, which said the US had given assurances that "engaging in torture is against both US law and policy".

An Amnesty International spokeswoman said yesterday a report on the first 12 months of the war, issued on March 18, had been sent to several senior members of the Federal Government.

The report outlined examples of a prisoner who was "beaten, given electric shocks, suspended by his legs, had his penis tied and subjected to sleep deprivation".

It also accused coalition troops of using "prolonged sleep deprivation, beatings, prolonged restraint in painful positions, sometimes combined with exposure to loud music, prolonged hooding and exposure to bright lights".

The International Committee of the Red Cross outlined complaints of torture to US authorities in Iraq in February. Sources within the organisation in Australia said the information "would also have been given to every other occupying power".

Red Cross officials in Geneva declined to comment on what was considered a confidential report to US civilian administrator in Iraq Paul Bremer.

US officials were struggling last night over how to release the next wave of disturbing photographs and videos depicting the abuse of Iraqi prisoners. It is believed the explosive pictures show men, women and teenage prisoners suffering beatings, sexual abuse and rape.

Last October Amnesty raised concerns about the possible torture of prisoners in Guantanamo Bay with Attorney-General Philip Ruddock.

At the time, Mr Ruddock said: "The Government has raised this matter with US authorities who have explained that media reports are inaccurate, and engaging in torture is against both US law and policy."

A spokesman for Mr Ruddock last night stood by the response. "We've not seen anything that conflicts with it, including comments by (Australian prisoner) David Hicks' own lawyers," he said.

Prime Minister John Howard did not respond to a question yesterday about when he first learned of torture claims against Australia's coalition allies.

http://www.news.com....255E421,00.html

Disgusting.

#2 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:27 AM

That does not surprise me at all. I'm Australian and I can vouch firsthand that that little gnome John Howard is not only the worst prime minister my country has ever had, he is also a little 'yes' man for Bush.

He loves getting on the band wagon with America and getting in bed with its atrocious foreign policies.

#3 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:42 AM

he's like Nixon but less cudly!

#4 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:46 AM

And that's putting it nicely.

#5 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:48 AM

Oh - my little brother met John Howard once and he told me that he's also one of those wankers who does that limp-wrist handshake.

How can the leader of a country have a limp handshake, I ask you?

#6 User is offline   K1NGWARREN Icon

• Devil Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:19 AM

The media is quick to buy the whole "this is the work of a few isolated sickos" line that the governments of all countries involve have been saying. Bullshit. This sort of stuff does not happen in a vacuum. Besides, wasn't it Donald "My Way or the Highway" Rumsfeld who was talking way back about how he didn't need to abide by the Geneva Convention?

#7 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:28 AM

Too true - this kind of thing comes down from the top. If the president and the government didn't have such a stupid, juvenile gun-ho, "yeah let's kick some ass!" approach to the situation, perhaps the offending soldiers in the military might have taken the situation a bit more seriously.

The American government may officially say this is the work of a few isolated individuals but unofficially, it condones it.

#8 User is offline   jyd Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:17 PM

movie goer your brother should have gone for the hand shake then faked it, pulled it hand back, and done the hair comb..that would have shown him. if i ever meet the president im doing that

#9 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:35 PM

How come Bush is surrounded by yes men in every other country? At least Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero is strong enough to say no to him. When are other leaders gonna wise up? Only after they're voted out of office.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#10 User is offline   WalrusOfPlastic Icon

• Not Greg
  • PipPip

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:49 PM

'Cause they're all afraid they will loose their places in America's food naming business. They don't want to go out like the french fry. Heck, if there was a Walrus of Plastic veggie burger (which there wouldn't be) I'd hate to see it transformed into the Homeland Security burger. That would suck.

#11 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:56 PM

We have an Opposition Leader called Mark Latham. While I'm not really a supporter of either party I would like to see him get into power and see if he is as good as his word. He's been talking big about not pandering to the US. I'm curious to see how long that would last if he did become Prime Minister.

Bring back John Curtain!!! He knew how to deal with US Presidents and English Prime Ministers.

"One nation. One people. One destiny."
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#12 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:07 PM

Wow! John Curtain is my favourite prime minister ever for just that reason.

#13 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:26 PM

Our PM was like that, didn't take long for him to send our troops over though.

#14 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:07 PM

the best thing about HOward is his recent bribing the public to vote for him...

he's offering everyone who earns $52 000 AUD ($36,366.01 USD) or more a pay increase and tax cut right before the nest election. also some major benifites for families.

but single low income earners can get fucked! thanks Johny your a real sport.

I'm single, I earn little, and now everyone who has life better than me is getting life even better than better than me!

#15 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (barend @ May 11 2004, 09:07 PM)
I'm single, I earn little, and now everyone who has life better than me is getting life even better than better than me!

I didn't want to open this can of worms because I'm right there with you barend. Politicians are just a bunch of butt monkeys!!!
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size