Chefelf.com Night Life: Screw My Kids! I Want To Spend Time With My Kids! - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Screw My Kids! I Want To Spend Time With My Kids! Friday, June 27, 2008

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

Screw My Kids! I Want To Spend Time With My Kids!

The other day I was watching the latest episode of Jon and Kate Plus Eight (warning, website has annoying music that you cannot turn off see Wikipedia entry for less annoying information) when I saw a commercial that grabbed my attention more firmly than any commercial has since the Daisy May's BBQ USA commercial. Sure, you could focus on the fact that I watch Jon and Kate Plus Eight but instead I will distract you using my rhetorical slight of hand to focus on this commercial.

The commercial that grabbed my attention was this commercial for Dixie displosable plates:

I regret the poor quality of this video but a big thanks to the person who uploaded it. Because of the general crappiness of TiVo I am not able to upload the commercial myself, something my ancient ReplayTV did with great ease before it died.

For those of you who either don't care to watch video or did not pay close attention to it, let me sum it up. The commercial features a number of soulless, vapid mothers who seem to have just taken a deep breath of laughing gas. The mothers in the commercial each take turns half-laughing their way through statements about why they like Dixie paper plates. One can only assume they are planning on serving confinement loaf to their families on said paper plates.

Here's what the mothers take turns saying:

"I will no longer be defined by the number of dishes I wash."

"I'm trading in my apron for something a little more glamorous."

"I deserve a paper plate that's as strong as I am. It has to stand up to my grandmother's marinara without soaking through."

"My children come first, it's as simple as that."

"And I'm proud to use Dixie Ultra Paper Plates because it means fewer dishes and spending time with my family."

"Make it a Dixie day."

First let me start off with this disclaimer: I am not a super overboard left-wing nutjob who tries to impose a 'green' agenda on everyone in the world. I am someone who tries to do his best, who recycles, who tries to do what he can to minimize waste. Largely this has to do with living in New York City and just needing to do this in order to have room in my cramped apartment. I do also care about the planet and feel that if I can recycle my computers, batteries, cans, bottles and paper then I'll at least know that I'm doing something.

That being said I recognize the need for paper plates. I've had barbecues, I've had dinner parties where there just aren't enough regular plates and I have used disposables. I also recognize that Kate (from the above Jon and Kate Plus 8) frequently uses disposable plates. I have no trouble giving her a pass on this given that she has 8 children 6 or under! I'm impressed that she can even feed them at all.

I am learning that this commercial is about a month old and I can't even believe that in this time period that the Dixie company would make such an advertisement. There is a national fever around 'green' and reducing waste and recycling and saving the planet. I don't mean this to sound like Dixie is an evil mega-corporation which wants to poison the environment. But from a public relations standpoint this seems like maybe the worst marketing blunder I've ever seen a company make. Everywhere you go companies are trying to market the things about their company or product that help the environment. Dixie has thrown that all aside in such an egregious fashion that you almost have to admire it.

Maybe in 1988 this commercial would have been fine. But the message that comes across in 2008 is: "Hey, screw this whole global warming and environment nonsense. I'm much too busy (or lazy) to do dishes!" Of course that line would be delivered by another pie-eyed mother who would giggle at the very end of the statement. Perhaps there would be audible gurgles from another mother in the background taking a bong hit.

Whether you agree with the cause of any of these environmental issues or not, this is a monumental gaffe on the part of Dixie. I've encountered very little mention of this ad anywhere and I'm a little surprised by that. I guess everyone is still too busy being fake-outraged or counter-fake-outraged by the Dunkin' Donuts thing from last month.

See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:41 AM

Ha, I like how you pointed things out here about the ad. If you notice at a lot of ads, most are over the top with silly absurdities. A great deal of them include "family oriented" situations that don't even revolve around the family anymore.

Laundrey detergent commercials and "Swiffer" commercials are the worst. Car commercials I can't stand at all! They're all pushing great MPG's, and that's a good thing, but let's be realistic... A new car costs a lot of money, the same money, if not more that you'd spend on gas anyway. So now consumers have a new car, with insurance, and monthly payments, and gas. It's cheaper to keep the old one.

Then there is Honda, who new car's only emition is water. But they limit production to about 200 vehicles. If they really want to be green, they don't tease countries that are pushing it, they mass produce it! Even the Governator of California wants more Hydro-Pump fuel stations!

It never ends. The solutions are around, always, and there will always be a fued over them because there wasn't much a problem in the first place.

And then with the "Oil Crisis," did anyone ever consider that the price of oil is going up only due to speculation... they've said it, yes, but they entertain the idea to make more money. Also, did anyone wonder where all that money is going? Heh heh heh, check out the "MEGA-CITY of Dubai" that's being built with slave labor. That's where the oil money is going. The world is being cheated all for the sake of a new Babylonian City.

#3 User is offline   Casual Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:That place thats close to the thing you know the one

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:12 AM

At least paper plates are biodegradable, if they were using plastic plates then they would really be selfish dick heads.
QUOTE (arien @ Jun 29 2008, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this baby, while still inside its mother, murdered his twin brother and STOLE HIS PENIS.

That is one badass baby.

#4 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:48 PM

Styrofoam would be even worse.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#5 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Jun 27 2008, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure, you could focus on the fact that I watch Jon and Kate Plus Eight but instead I will distract you using my rhetorical slight of hand to focus on this commercial.

Whats wrong with Jon and Kate Plus Eight?
there should be no shame in anyone who watches the show
the kids are cute and besides
its just an all around good reality show on that works
i watch Jon and Kate!
I love Jon and Kate

and yes Dixie is bad although you can be like my aunt
who washes and reuses (when she can) disposable stuff dry.gif

But serious 'going green' is gonna put them out of business
so you can wait for the 100% recycled plates cups etc.
but they arent going to be as strong as those commercial moms
or any other moms want them to be
at least not yet

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#6 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 01 July 2008 - 05:57 PM

Too bad Jon and Kate Plus Eight JUST jumped the shark! The episode I saw last night (probably a repeat) was of them recording a song then they had a long boring music video of the family doing stupid stuff while the tremendously embarrassing song played. I knew at that moment that it was all downhill from there.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#7 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Jun 28 2008, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"I will no longer be defined by the number of dishes I wash."

Who here has actually turned to their mother/wife and said that they are only as valuable as the amount of dishes they are able to clean?

This post has been edited by Deucaon: 02 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#8 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Jul 1 2008, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Too bad Jon and Kate Plus Eight JUST jumped the shark! The episode I saw last night (probably a repeat) was of them recording a song then they had a long boring music video of the family doing stupid stuff while the tremendously embarrassing song played. I knew at that moment that it was all downhill from there.

NOOOOOoOoooOOOooooooOO
Is nothing sacred!?!?!?!

This post has been edited by TruJade: 03 July 2008 - 12:34 AM

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#9 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (TruJade @ Jul 3 2008, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is nothing sacred!?!?!?!

Heh, (shakes head)... Not anymore...

#10 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:50 PM

Bah. Nothing was ever really sacred, and Deucaon, I say that to my mother all the time. Though technically, I use a logarithmic formula that combines a proportion of dishes washed and clothes laundered with meals cooked times the quality of the meals in order to determine her value.

Paper plates are awesome, even though they aren't "green". I don't know what we're going to do about that since you can't really recycle used food with your paper... OR CAN YOU?!

No, you can't. I don't want to find hot sauce and bits of salad in my new 100% recycled from old paper plates.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#11 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ Jul 3 2008, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, you can't. I don't want to find hot sauce and bits of salad in my new 100% recycled from old paper plates.

hahahahahaha
Would that really be so bad ?? ?? ???
every dish would be like a game or surprise

hmmm what did you get thhis time?
someone elses old gum perhaps?
it could be fun

beside it would be like getting
two meals for the price of one
what a deal rolleyes.gif

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size