Page 1 of 1

Daisy May's BBQ USA Tuesday, August 14, 2007

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:10 AM

Daisy May's BBQ USA

There is a local commercial here in New York that's been fascinating me for the past several months. Generally while watching TV my mind often drifts off into a trance-like state when the commercials come on, a skill that I have seemed to genetically acquire from my mother. This commercial, however, has a way of piercing my hypnotic mind state within seconds of starting up.

I realized one day that I needed to record this commercial for closer inspection. Of course as soon as I decided that I noted that the commercial was never on anymore. So I started recording shows at random and scrolling through the shows to look for the commercial. Finally, last night during an episode of Ice Road Truckers (which I was recording anyway), the commercial came on.

Before I continue it may be best to view the video so you have a clearer idea of what it is that we're dealing with here:

The Song
The song is what really does it for me. The guy singing it is amazing. I think it's either being sung by McGruff the crime dog or a Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem cover band. Above and beyond the performance of the song is the lyrical complexity. I am not being sarcastic at all when I say that I admire the singer's ability to work the words: "The meat is sweet on 46th street."

For posterity, here are the lyrics:
Daisy, Daisy, Daisy May's B-B-Q!
You'll go crazy with every bite you chew
You can't beat the eats and fixins
Your fingers, you'll be lickin'
The meat is sweet on 46th street at Daisy May's BBQ

Eyes Over Rib Mountain
At the 5 second mark in the commercial we witness a gentleman's head pop up from behind a mountain of pork ribs. I can only assume the ribs are meant to symbolize the valley of ashes and that the eyes are of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg. That would further represent the eyes of God staring down and passing judgment on American society as a moral wasteland obsessed with delicious barbecued pork ribs.

The Girl
The budget for this commercial could not have been too high but you would think they would have been able to cast someone who had an authentic southern accent. Here's what she says:
New York has gone hog wild over the incredible taste, quality and selection at Daisy May's BBQ USA. It's the best take out eatin' in New York. Gourmet beef ribs, pork ribs, chicken and all the fixins! And it's the best sweet iced tea in a jar you've ever had.

I don't know. Maybe in New York City only a fraction of 1% of the inhabitants (and an even smaller fraction of the people watching shows like Ice Road Truckers) would pick up to the fact that the accent was less than stellar. To me it sounded like the girl may have been British rather than "generically southern". After seeing the commercial again I'm shocked that they didn't throw a few y'all's in there for good measure.

Sweet Iced Tea in a Jar
They proclaim that Daisy May's BBQ has "the best sweet iced tea in a jar you've ever had." I don't find that too hard to believe at all.
The meat is sweet on 46th street at Daisy May's BBQ!

See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:06 AM

Firstly, yeah, her accent was something between Jersey and fake Southern belle (and Southern belles don't eat messy foods). Secondly, the tea in the jar thing, well, that really is a southern thing. It's called "sun tea" - you make the tea in a big glass jar and set it outside in the sun, and for some reason it supposedly tastes better than just boiling your water or whatever. And of course down here we all drink it iced, and we all drink it sweetened (well, not we *all,* considering I don't like any kind of tea). However, no one ever calls it "sweet iced tea in a jar." ... And I doubt any Yankee would drink it iced or sweetened anyway, so that's kinda wasted advertising in the first place.

Gotta love that song, though. biggrin.gif
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#3 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:12 AM

oh my god what sort of accent is that supposed to be?

it starts out as a kind of stilted Staten Island type thing, then it's some kind of bastard child of Southern, and then it lapses into a middle-suburban something-or-other, before making one last feeble attempt at who-knows-what.
Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#4 User is offline   Cemetery guy Icon

• Chefelf's Dad
  • Pip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:58 PM

That is one toe tapping tune. I guess we will just have to eat at Daisy Mae's when we visit.

For the record, your mother, can turn out a commercial like no one I have ever met. If you have also developed this gene, then there is no hope for Madison Ave.

#5 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:37 PM

If Daisy Mae's has "all the fixin's", what'll ever happen to the good ol' Golden Corral? ohmy.gif

tongue.gif

But, seriously, this sure is a dumb commercial. sick.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#6 User is offline   xiexieniii Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

Unfortunately I just caught this commercial on MSNBC. It was so hideous I had to look it up on the internet to see what other people were saying.

Skankiest thing I have ever laid eyes on.

Hilarious Gatsby reference, btw.

#7 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:41 AM

Hey, thanks! We actually walked right by Daisy May's last weekend but we didn't stop for lunch. I can only assume by the locale that the place is generally filled with strippers or bouncers on break.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size