Chefelf.com Night Life: The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Chefelf.com Night Life

Heccubus' Domain

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy

#1 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 23 April 2004 - 08:25 PM

Alright, I'm confused. I finally tracked a copy of the first book down so that I could get started in reading this fantastically funny series of novels, and the book itself lists four follow-up books. HOWEVER, at the book store yesterday, I found a compiled book that only listed four novels that were contained within. So I have a question to anyone who knows anything about Adams' fine series: What exactly is "Mostly Harmless", the fifth book in the series? Is it a companion of sorts? An epilogue-ish sequel? A separate story altogether? Another regular chapter in the story that for some reason this possibly retarded compilation did not include? What?

#2 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:03 PM

I may have found my answer already (looks like that compilation was just published before Adams released "Mostly Harmless". Funny how they're too lazy to re-publish it, then), but I have a new question: What say you to the forthcoming movie? They've added characters, which I don't like the idea of, and Mos Def (some sort of rapper, I think) is playing the part of Ford Prefect. I don't think I like. I mean, you know who I think should play Ford? Kipf from Futurama. But since that is an improbable situation, I think I'll just go with Bruce Campbell, because I tend to think (somewhat irrationally, I might add) that he should play everything in every movie.

#3 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 24 April 2004 - 03:08 AM

The first two HitchHiker novels were nice adaptations of the radio series, even thogh they went places the radio series did not, and the radio series went places they did not. The third novel is a nice tidy sequel, and the only one with a real plot.

The BBC tv series, low budget and fantastic, is the be-all and end-all of Hitchhiker on film, and I may sound like a crabapple, but any attempt to film that story again will be like doing a remake of MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL, It ain't fucking broke!

The last two Hitchhiker novels were a total waste of time, and I think everyone agrees on that.

I love Bruce Campbell, but he isn't the right fit for Hitchhiker. The humour is so essentially London that any attempt to move it to America will ruin it.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#4 User is offline   srmoore Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 26 April 2004 - 12:01 AM

I believe Mos Def was in The Italian Job. Could be good.. dunno.
Although I do know that Adams was involved with the script thta is being made into a new film, and I believe that people who worked with him were and still are involved.

Dunno.. could be good.. could be bad. I'll see it either way.
(Just like I'll end up seeing I Robot, even though it looks like it is very loosly based on the book. and I mean veeeery)

#5 User is offline   Hero4u2hire Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:I'm a chef,<br />xbox<br />bar conversations<br />cold weather<br />skiing<br />drinking beer<br />buying under armour stuff<br />Bragging about my BIL worked on starwars III

Posted 27 April 2004 - 08:58 AM

My girlfriends brother is supposed to work on the film "I Robot" he's already worked on the latest StarWars film so I'm proud of the guy.

I need to reread HitchHiker's guide to the galaxy its been a long time since I've read them. Did anyone here play the Hitchhikers's guide to the galaxy game? It was a text game, but fun none the less.

Why don't we do a Heccubus and Fiends movie, and Bruce Campbell could play Heccubus, and I could be the Hero Chef guy, that never actually appears in the comic or movie.

#6 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:33 AM

To add more answer to the first question, when I read the 4th and 5th books, they didn't seem to go with the series well. At all. The 4th book may as well have not been written for all the impact it had on #5, and #5 made tragically little sense. A pity Douglas Adams died a couple of years ago, because it says in his last book "The Salmon of Doubt" that he might be working on a 6th and final book in the Hitch-Hiker's Trilogy.

#7 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 April 2004 - 08:56 PM

all though I don't like the idea of a remake of one of my favorite shows in the history of television... if they do a film, it should be 4 films, one for each book... (i never checked out the add ons... I think he only wrote them because people wouldn't leave him alone - which is probably what happened with star wars so who knows what to expect)

no americans though, but Bruce Campbell should be in every film!!!
(i'd like to see him go up against Christopher Lee).

nerd note: for those of you who will eventually buy/hire the HGTTG tv show DVD, please note that the body guard of 'Hot Black' from DISASTER AREA is David Prowse...

#8 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 28 April 2004 - 04:27 AM

I just want to go on the record and say that in the same way that MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL, a comic masterpiece, is not funny to anyone who has already seen it thirty times, THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY will not be funny to any of its current fans.

Remaking a classic is doomed to failure. The things deserving of being remade are the things that were not very good in the first place.

And all that other stuff everyone is thinking but not saying, about that sort of iddea being an essentially 70s BBC thing, I agree wholeheartedly.

I believe too that if they made a film series they should stop with the third book, and it would turn out to be the best film, since noone would have a radio series to compare it with.

The last two books are complete shit.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked