Chefelf.com Night Life: SS Shows Softer Side - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

SS Shows Softer Side Saturday, October 6, 2007

#1 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:12 PM

The Good Life of Auschwitz Guards
Last Updated: Thursday, 27 September 2007, 10:48 GMT 11:48 UK
By Laura Smith-Park
BBC News, Washington

At first glance, the photographs seem innocuous enough. Men and women in uniform lie back in deckchairs, listen to accordion music, decorate a Christmas tree.

In pictures: Auschwitz album
It seems like a carefree life - but the pictures were taken at the Auschwitz death camp at the height of the Holocaust.

The happy men and women are Nazi officials enjoying time off from the business of genocide, their images collected by Karl Hoecker, an adjutant to the camp commander.

His unique album of 116 photographs was found in Frankfurt in 1946 by a US intelligence officer, who kept it to himself for six decades before showing it to the US Holocaust Memorial Museum last year.

Museum archivist Rebecca Erbelding, who has helped to put album online, believes the very ordinariness of the scenes captured is what makes them so chilling.

"But I think it's shocking because it's a reminder that they were human beings, that they weren't red-eyed monsters, that they had pets and children and lives, and yet could do this to other people."

The find has significantly increased the number of photographs available to historians of Auschwitz-Birkenau before its liberation in January 1945.

Previously, only about 320 images were known, many of them in the so-called Auschwitz Album, which shows the arrival of Hungarian Jews at the camp in May 1944.

Hoecker's album includes the only known pictures of Dr Josef Mengele - notorious for the medical experiments he conducted on Auschwitz inmates - taken within the camp's confines.

Not a single prisoner appears in any of the images.

Gas chambers

Ms Erbelding says the album seems to have been created very much as a personal keepsake.

Karl Hoecker and SS women relax on lounge chairs in Solahuette (courtesy United States Holocaust Memorial Museum)
The photographs show SS officers but no Auschwitz prisoners

Many of the pictures were taken at Solahuette, a little-known SS resort near Auschwitz where the camp's guards were periodically sent as a reward for hard work.

Hoecker himself is a regular fixture, decorating a Christmas tree in one photograph, going hunting or playing with his dog in others.

A series of images dated 22 July 1944 shows him eating blueberries with a group of female SS auxiliaries, one of whom pretends to cry as she holds her now-empty bowl upside-down.

On that same day, the museum's researchers found, 150 prisoners, Jews and non-Jews, arrived on a transport to Auschwitz. The SS selected 21 men and 12 women for work and killed the rest in the gas chambers.

Another image shows Hoecker enjoying a sing-along with senior SS officers, identified by the museum as Dr Mengele, former Auschwitz Kommandant Rudolf Hoess, gas chamber supervisor Otto Moll and Birkenau Kommandant Josef Kramer.

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/7011371.stm

The complete article is twice as long and has pictures, for those of you who are interested.

But the point I'm trying to make is, being surrounded by Nazi women eating blueberries is now my new goal in life.

This post has been edited by Ninja Duck: 06 October 2007 - 01:14 PM

#2 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Ninja Duck @ Oct 6 2007, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But the point I'm trying to make is, being surrounded by Nazi women eating blueberries is now my new goal in life.

Well, here you go. That's easily arranged.

#3 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:02 PM

Gah, I hate those girls. I've listened to their music and it sucks, too - they only reason they're famous is because of their stupid fascist lyrics. And it's a real shame, because they're pretty cute.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#4 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Oct 7 2007, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gah, I hate those girls. I've listened to their music and it sucks, too - they only reason they're famous is because of their stupid fascist lyrics. And it's a real shame, because they're pretty cute.

Which is why I'll be pretty popular when i eventually get around to kidnapping them and dropping them off as a gift to the inmates at San Quentin Prison.

#5 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:47 PM

"But I think it's shocking because it's a reminder that they were human beings, that they weren't red-eyed monsters, that they had pets and children and lives, and yet could do this to other people."

Let no one say that a human with a pet and children cannot be a monster.

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Oct 7 2007, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you need glasses.

#6 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:57 PM

Spoon's a girl, so she can say whatever she wants.

Still... unsure.gif

#7 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (Ninja Duck @ Oct 10 2007, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Spoon's a girl, so she can say whatever she wants.

Still... unsure.gif

I have seen better looking girls then that at my school. Of course it probably has to do with tastes… regardless, we should be talking about NAZIS!

#8 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:33 AM

They're like 12 in that picture. I didn't mean cute like a hot girl is cute. I meant cute like, aw, a puppy cute. They probably will be pretty when they grow up.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#9 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Oct 11 2007, 05:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They're like 12 in that picture. I didn't mean cute like a hot girl is cute. I meant cute like, aw, a puppy cute. They probably will be pretty when they grow up.

That is what I meant. Seriously, they are hideous though I do enjoy their Hitler smiley, it is insulting in a friendly sort of way.

Lamb and Lynx Gaede are two 14 year old twin sisters who are also known as the band Prussian Blue.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size