Chefelf.com Night Life: Russia tests powerful 'dad of all bombs' - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Russia tests powerful 'dad of all bombs' Wednesday, September 12, 2007

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:21 AM

Russia tests powerful 'dad of all bombs'
By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV, Associated Press Writer
Tue Sep 11, 3:38 PM ET

MOSCOW - The Russian military has successfully tested what it described as the world's most powerful non-nuclear air-delivered bomb, Russia's state television reported Tuesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

It was the latest show of Russia's military muscle amid chilly relations with the United States.

Channel One television said the new weapon, nicknamed the "dad of all bombs" is four times more powerful than the U.S. "mother of all bombs."

"The tests have shown that the new air-delivered ordnance is comparable to a nuclear weapon in its efficiency and capability," said Col.-Gen. Alexander Rukshin, a deputy chief of the Russian military's General Staff, said in televised remarks.

Unlike a nuclear weapon, the bomb doesn't hurt the environment, he added.

The statement reflected the Kremlin's efforts to restore Russia's global clout and rebuild the nation's military might while the ties with Washington have been strained over U.S. criticism of Russia's backsliding on democracy, Moscow's vociferous protests of U.S. missile defense plans, and rifts over global crises.

The U.S. Massive Ordnance Air Blast, nicknamed the Mother Of All Bombs, is a large-yield satellite-guided, air-delivered bomb described as the most powerful non-nuclear weapon in history.

Channel One said that while the Russian bomb contains 7.8 tons of high explosives compared to more than 8 tons of explosives in the U.S. bomb, it's four times more powerful because it uses a new, highly efficient type of explosives that the report didn't identify.

While the U.S. bomb is equivalent to 11 tons of TNT, the Russian one is equivalent to 44 tons of regular explosives. The Russian weapon's blast radius is 990 feet, twice as big as that of the U.S. design, the report said.

Like its U.S. predecessor, first tested in 2003, the Russian bomb is a "thermobaric" weapon that explodes in an intense fireball combined with a devastating blast. It explodes in a terrifying nuclear bomb-like mushroom cloud and wreaks destruction through a massive shock wave created by the air burst and high temperature.

Thermobaric weapons work on the same principle that causes blasts in grain elevators and other dusty places — clouds of fine particles are highly explosive. Such explosions produce shock waves that can be directed and amplified in enclosed spaces such as buildings, caves or tunnels.

Channel One said that the temperature in the epicenter of the Russian bomb's explosion is twice as high as that of the U.S. bomb.

The report showed the bomb dropped by parachute from a Tu-160 strategic bomber and exploding in a massive fireball. It featured the debris of apartment buildings and armored vehicles at a test range, as well as the scorched ground from a massive blast.

It didn't give the bomb's military name or say when it was tested.

Rukshin said the new bomb would allow the military to "protect the nation's security and confront international terrorism in any situation and any region."

"We have got a relatively cheap ordnance with a high strike power," Yuri Balyko, head of the Defense Ministry's institute in charge of weapons design, told Channel One.

Booming oil prices have allowed Russia to steadily increase military spending in recent years, and the Kremlin has taken a more assertive posture in global affairs.

Last month, President Vladimir Putin said he ordered the resumption of regular patrols of strategic bombers, which were suspended after the 1991 Soviet breakup.

(This version CORRECTS spelling of military official's surname to Rukshin, not Rukhsin.)

http://www.link-to-article-url.com

My favorite line of this story:

Oh, fantastic.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:27 AM

Green bomb, made for a brighter future.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#3 User is offline   wrathiron Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:38 AM

Well I feel better, if the sunlike fireball doesnt kill me, the shockwave will..

#4 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:00 PM

Ok, what's the point of making bigger bombs? We already have bombs that split atoms and completely annihilate entire cities. It's also very hard to lord over a conquered territory and allow foreign investments to overrun businesses and provide places to outsource workers for cheap labor when it's a big smoking crater filled with charred corpses.

So I guess we're either going for the fucking stupid Dr. Strangelove bigger gun military-industrial complex perpetuation with even less of a reason than the Cold War, or total city reconstruction teams have been sucking DoD/Russian equivelent dicks even more than usual. pinch.gif
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#5 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:49 PM

I'm waiting for the bomb that 'runs on ethanol'.

#6 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:47 PM

Pff. If it doesn't run on water, I'm not interested.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#7 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:08 PM

Yeah special sub-icecap water. I knew those Russians were planting a flag for a reason.

#8 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:24 PM

Considering the number of nukes tested on a regular basis, this is a really positive step forward.

Sure people will die, buildings will be levelled, flowers will be crushed.
but at least when these things are tested people won't be getting cancer.

#9 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Sep 12 2007, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Green bomb, made for a brighter future.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Slade @ Sep 12 2007, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, what's the point of making bigger bombs? We already have bombs that split atoms and completely annihilate entire cities. It's also very hard to lord over a conquered territory and allow foreign investments to overrun businesses and provide places to outsource workers for cheap labor when it's a big smoking crater filled with charred corpses.

So I guess we're either going for the fucking stupid Dr. Strangelove bigger gun military-industrial complex perpetuation with even less of a reason than the Cold War, or total city reconstruction teams have been sucking DoD/Russian equivelent dicks even more than usual. pinch.gif

Keep in mind that the Russian haven’t made anything new. The Americans have been using this kind of bomb in Afghanistan for years; the Russians are catching up.

QUOTE (barend @ Sep 12 2007, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure people will die, buildings will be levelled, flowers will be crushed.
but at least when these things are tested people won't be getting cancer.

I am sure that people living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki would have preferred this type of bomb to a nuclear bomb that was dropped on them.

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Cobnat @ Sep 12 2007, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am sure that people living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki would have preferred this type of bomb to a nuclear bomb that was dropped on them.

I'm pretty sure the people in the those and surrounding towns who weren't in the blast zone but all got lukemia would have prefered it, yes.

There is a website devoted to accounts of those who survived the initial blast by written word and art of what happened in hiroshima. IT is easily the most horrific and depressing thing I have ever read. There is just so much that movies and books do not capture about the full horror of nuclear weaponry.

#11 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:33 PM

I lived kind of near a MOAB test site, and I'm frankly unimpressed that the 8-ton "mother of all bombs" packs the same punch as 11 tons as any other explosive. We should just give up before someone gets hurt.

#12 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:49 PM

Knowing what these people are like:
Running ultimate scams serves inept authoritarians

Which is true for most cases. Just an excuse to make people feel better for starting another war without the effects of nuclear bombs. "If it can be done without the mess why not?"

#13 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Sep 12 2007, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure the people in the those and surrounding towns who weren't in the blast zone but all got lukemia would have prefered it, yes.

Yes I know. I am agreeing with you.

QUOTE (barend @ Sep 12 2007, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a website devoted to accounts of those who survived the initial blast by written word and art of what happened in hiroshima. IT is easily the most horrific and depressing thing I have ever read. There is just so much that movies and books do not capture about the full horror of nuclear weaponry.

Link?

QUOTE (Deepsycher @ Sep 12 2007, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Knowing what these people are like:
Running ultimate scams serves inept authoritarians

America has had the bomb for years… why are you picking on Russia?

QUOTE (Deepsycher @ Sep 12 2007, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which is true for most cases. Just an excuse to make people feel better for starting another war without the effects of nuclear bombs. "If it can be done without the mess why not?"

The reason why nuclear warheads are so useful is because it causes radiation. Because the initial blast will never be enough.

#14 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:57 AM

No I can't remember... google 'art hiroshima' or something...

#15 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (Cobnat @ Sep 12 2007, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
America has had the bomb for years… why are you picking on Russia?

In the same way they pretended to be communist in the end. I wonder if they would use the same pattern as an excuse to start a war with people accepting it.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size