Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Before the saga continued The Star Wars Holiday Special

#1 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 18 November 2003 - 08:18 PM

I don't know how many of you have seen this, but it's worthy of viewing for a lot of reasons. the Boba Fett cartoon, Princess Leia sings, Chewie's family, and... I dare not give it ALL away...
but would love to know what you think!

a reason to give thanks. from 1978, I believe. Worth a look. I like to fire it up on my mac at work the day before thanksgiving. Or if I have a tedious art project going at home to pass the time. I still say it beats the prequels. (well, duh) Oh yeah! the Diane Carroll interlude! cool.gif

find it at

<http://www.blueharvest.net/video/original.shtml>

ps, for other great background entertainment for those with macs, copy/paste chefelf's REASONS into simple text and have your computer read them to you. When delivered by computer, Lucas' dialogue takes the emotion to a new level.

#2 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 November 2003 - 08:48 PM

i saw it as a child, and told people for years but didn't know what it was untill last year.

i can't wait to see it, as my memories are cloudy.

#3 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 18 November 2003 - 09:11 PM

Oh my God, yes.

The STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL is the best example anyone can offer that George Lucas did *not* have a nine-film series planned from the beginning. It's God-awful, but has charming fun moments, like Luke Skywalker in way too much stage makeup and a ten-minute intro of the wookiees at home. No exaggeration, ten minutes with no dialogue. That there are wookies out there with names like Lumpy is, on its own, a blessing.

I'm sure Lucas has tried to get every copy of this terrible tv special and destroy it, but with the internet and independent video stores (In Vancouver, you can rent a beat up VHS copy from Black Dog), he has no hope. And really, he shouldn't. This thing is terrible, but it's not pretentious like the prequel films and even parts of JEDI. It's even fun, in an embarrassing sort of way, like the Marvel Comics series often was (that series was also often much better than the prequel trilogy).

Like Despondent, I don't want to give it away for those who haven't seen it, but there is a surprise musical guest that will knock your socks on their ass!

Mike (a henchman at last).
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 19 November 2003 - 03:27 PM

Oh it is one of the most truly dreadful things I've ever seen. It's really difficult to watch even for humor value as 90% of its dialogue is in Wookie without subtitles. That having been said there are some parts that are well worth watching it.

Highlights:

1.) A kinda cool Boba Fett cartoon that introduces the character (and does a far better job of exploring his character and beginnings than Episode II does). It's fairly interesting and actually has all the original voices (Including Mark Hamil, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Anthony Daniels and Jeremy Bulloch as Boba Fett).

2.) A musical number sung and performed by Bea Arthur. No, really. No, REALLY!

3.) An inexplicable concert video of Jefferson Airplane (or Jefferson Starship or Jefferson Cougar Starplane or whatever they were calling themselves at the time).

It's well worth watching, even though you will hate your life during some of the slower parts.

My friend Steve--srmoore on this forum--actually created a DVD of it from his old VHS copy so I am probably one of less than a dozen people on Earth to own a DVD copy of the movie. Lucky me.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 User is offline   srmoore Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 19 November 2003 - 05:26 PM

And the drive with that video is the one that crashed yesterday... to bad.. I was really thinking about starting to create the subtitled one.. english subtiltes for the wookie... wookie subtiltes for the english biggrin.gif

maybe if I get all that data back from a data recovery place...

#6 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 19 November 2003 - 06:50 PM

That is most unfortunate. I still have my DVD if you need it at all.

How much does data recovery cost? I heard it's big $$$.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#7 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 19 November 2003 - 07:58 PM

SR, sorry about your data loss. Holiday SPOILERS follow

I couldn't wait till next weds, so I watched (listened, really) at work today. some of my favorite moments. not word for word, mind you.

"(starring) artoo deetoo as.... artoo deetoo"

Luke (earnestly): "Chewie won't want to come home to a bunch of Long faces... c'mon Mala, let's see a smile!"

Leia: "yes, I understood what she said, threepio... (now get off the phone already")

Leia: (hiding laughter) laugh.gif "this is the day we celebrate the tree of life"

while leia sings, we see stirring closeups of our heroes. imagine jar jar and anikan here if you really want to throw up

and then the obligatory, "let's show some highlights of the movie" sequence (with a glimpse of the REAL obi-wan.)

some less happy moments-

Han: (fighting tears) "you all are like family to me"

I'm truly sorry I forgot about this "event", or I'd have been saddened more so upon hearing of Art Carney's passing last week.

I did not like it when Lumpy's room was trashed. Bothered me more than the death of Shmi.
But the promise for Harvey K (after the song) made everything ok again.

#8 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 19 November 2003 - 08:29 PM

I forgot about when Han hugs the wookies. That was brilliant. You could see the shame radiating off of Harrison Ford's face.

#9 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:27 PM

Art Carney did a fine job exploring the harsh realities of Homeland Security invading the home, asking for your papers, searching without a warrant, and basically making themselves at home in your living room watching music videos and trying out the sex machine.
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#10 User is offline   Stongbah Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 November 2004 - 03:10 AM

"Nov 19 2003 08:29 PM"

"Yesterday, 06:27 PM"

Was there really a point in reviving a year old thread?

#11 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 27 November 2004 - 04:42 AM

Actually I wasnt here a year ago and I'd love to see this thing. I think I have a plan...

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 27 November 2004 - 05:24 PM

Well it's that time of year.

this was broadcast in November of '78, and I always associated it more with thanksgiving (a more universal holiday) than Christmas. My sister's family stayed with me a day or two ago, her husband and three boys aged 7-14. They're great, and SW fans so I had to show them some highlights. the introductory credits (..with Jefferson Starship...,) some of the cantina scene, and the finale. ("is that Carrie Fisher? Did they get the original actors?" they were astonished. The adults anyway.)

So, yeah. We watched some just 2 days ago.
Han: (fighting tears) "you all are like family to me"

#13 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Nov 27 2004, 05:24 PM)
this was broadcast in November of '78, and I always associated it more with thanksgiving (a more universal holiday) than Christmas. My sister's family stayed with me a day or two ago, her husband and three boys aged 7-14. They're great, and SW fans so I had to show them some highlights. the introductory credits (..with Jefferson Starship...,) some of the cantina scene, and the finale. ("is that Carrie Fisher? Did they get the original actors?" they were astonished. The adults anyway.)

Funny you should mention that. Jen and I watched some during our Thanksgiving celebration on Thursday. We just watched the Bea Arthur song mostly. We watched some other moments too but Jen had never seen it before so I just wanted to give her a taste of how truly bad it is.

The commercials were quite entertaining.

#14 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 28 November 2004 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Nov 28 2004, 11:45 AM)
The commercials were quite entertaining.

You have commercials? I'm jealous. (and I'm sure the picture quality is Far, Far superior smile.gif )

#15 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:37 PM

The picture quality isn't any better than a VHS tape, but it's nice having it on DVD. smile.gif

I need to make an MP3 of the Bea Arthur "Goodnight but not Goodbye" song. That song is TOP NOTCH!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size