• (3 Pages)
  • +

Martial Arts in America. Yay.

#16 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:21 PM

Actually, in my several years of TKD training, I learned all sorts of defensive moves like holds and throws and arm twists and escapes, etc. Like I said, depends on the style, the school, and the instructor.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#17 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:47 PM

I'm going to make a quick generalizing statement then dissapear. Try not to get offended it's not an attack on the US just the subculture genmerated by an americanisation of something that doesn't translate that way, okay?

but from all dealings, documentaries, tournements, and so forth, i've had the misfortune to witness... the majority of americans into martial arts are the reason the chinese won't teach the rest of us the higher points of internal kung fu.

the way people carry on when showing their "skill" in martial arts in america is disgraceful, never offering it the proper respect it deserves. they rob it of dignity turning it into some stupid sport like barbarians who just discovered the wooden club.

this isn't everyone, but sometimes the self congratulating, "yeah, I'm in the zone" bullshit really pisses me off to no end.

if you serioiusly want to know anything REAL about martial arts go to the scorce. not the abomination the US has made of them.

again this is not an attack on the USA... just a sub-culture that's formed there.

#18 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:17 PM

Nailed it on the head! Way to go Barend!
That's why I don't trust the stuff taught around here. Martial Arts instructors back then were looked up to like doctors. Here, anyone can "teach" the MA's in their McDojo! And boy do they teach it. This is why I got out of these schools around here. These weren't "masters" they were drunkards showing off how to hurt people. But as Spoon stated, it does depend on the style, school, and instructor. Notice all these "martial art" chains opened up after the Karate Kid movies. It's all a trend.

#19 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:03 AM

That cult thing is hilarious!!! I feel the need to link the only website I know of that's worse. TimeCube. biggrin.gif
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#20 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:37 AM

What in fuck's name is this supposed to be? Some kind of a sick, cynical joke? Or someone actually believes this shit?

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 13 December 2006 - 03:40 AM

#21 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:36 PM

Yeah, that TimeCube crap was weird man! I read a bit of that and I was waiting on your response, Davd-kyo.

#22 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:25 PM

Woah... That dude is messed up.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#23 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (David-kyo @ Dec 13 2006, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What in fuck's name is this supposed to be? Some kind of a sick, cynical joke? Or someone actually believes this shit?

I'm with Goatboy, wtf? that's some funny stuff, but my haed began to hurt after reading the first 10%.

"Mother and father gave me birth, not a queer jew god. " HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

personally i was created by a necromancer in drag, but that's cool.

here's another bit of martial (f)arts western misappropriation.

http://www.gamesware...sp?gameid=13077

I love the features:

Workout like Shaolin Monks have been for centuries - with Hung Gar Kung Fu

oh you mean like:

An extensive soundtrack to suit your workout mood with more than 70 tracks covering the genres of breaks, house, hip hop and electro

yeah.

Brand new Motion Matching Technology gives the ultimate level of personalised feedback as it tracks a player’s moves with supreme precision on screen

last time i played a game using these precision monotoring devices it was too slow to pick up my punches.

Workout in a variety of beautiful environments

like, your loungeroom.

oh dear.

#24 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:00 AM

Well, they indeed missed the point, but it's still not as destructive as that Lieutenant X asshole's page, at least. I prefer people who think they're showmen to those who think they're mean, lean killing machines.

#25 User is offline   Cyzyk Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:32 AM

Anyone can be a killing machine, thanks to Israel's mass-production of the Uzi. Remember, it's OK not to hit the first time if you get 100 tries a minute!
Tolerance is another word for Apathy

#26 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:26 PM

Yes, but you can get locked up in jail for a long time if you get caught with an UZI. But it's kinda hard to picture a person getting jailed for having a killing moves' manual in their pocket. Even though the purpose behind them is the same. biggrin.gif

How's your classical literature assignment coming along? smile.gif

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 14 December 2006 - 04:26 PM

#27 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:45 AM

David-kyo, a little off topic, but if i had your avatar the quote at the bottom of my sig would be; "hmmm hmmm hmmm... Goatboy wants to wear you like a feedbag."

#28 User is offline   Cyzyk Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:59 AM

How's your classical literature assignment coming along?

Meh, wrote it at 3 AM in the morning the day it was due. Only one of three people in the class of 20 or so who got an A, too. Y'know, getting As in college doesn't really prepare you for anything except telling people what they want to hear. It doesn't take long to learn what a teacher thinks is good, and then you just write everything that way.

#29 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Dec 15 2006, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
David-kyo, a little off topic, but if i had your avatar the quote at the bottom of my sig would be; "hmmm hmmm hmmm... Goatboy wants to wear you like a feedbag."

Yeah, well, many people mistook me for being the evil one, so I'm trying to make up for that with a less evil quote.

QUOTE (Cyzyk @ Dec 15 2006, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meh, wrote it at 3 AM in the morning the day it was due. Only one of three people in the class of 20 or so who got an A, too. Y'know, getting As in college doesn't really prepare you for anything except telling people what they want to hear. It doesn't take long to learn what a teacher thinks is good, and then you just write everything that way.

Of course, being a slave to superiors and working to appeal to them is what life's about, and that's exactly what they're preparing you for. What are you complaining about? wink.gif You want to be out of the crowd and stand up for your own beliefs? wink.gif wink.gif Keep dreaming, man. wink.gif wink.gif

#30 User is offline   Cyzyk Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

Meh, I'll find a way out of the system. Plan 1 is becoming a novelist, Plan 2 is the FBI, and Plan 3 is...

Stability Operations?

If all else fails, I'll become an astronaut or ballerina.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size