Jedi Religion Sweet!

#1 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:10 AM

Jedi Religion Article

According to this Jedi outnumber Jews in Great Brittain. There are also hundreds of thousands of them in Australia and New Zealand. They're pushing for it to be recognized as an official religion.

This brings up the question: Why don't we have a thing that lets you state what your religion is on the forum user details?

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#2 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:43 AM

There is also a movement called 'Sithism'. Which is VERY small compared to Jediism. I follow a path close to this. I consider myself a Satanist (Humanist, Nihilist), which follows closely to some of the precepts of being Sith in the movies: All things are born from darkness, and all things can trace their roots to carnal desire. Even light itself is birthed from the darkness... darkness is everywhere... light is an illusion... darkness fills all space and time, and there is NO WHERE that darkness cannot go. Nowhere.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#3 User is offline   BinarySunset Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:46 AM

You go, SWIU! tongue.gif

#4 User is offline   Lord Melkor Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:59 AM

Well, SWIU, I had similar beliefs in high school, trust me, it won`t bring you any good!

#5 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:16 PM

Ah sweet, we'll have to have a saber duel some time!

-Jedi-

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#6 User is offline   Code Red Icon

• New Cop

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:01 PM

There was an urban myth about this here in the UK a few years ago when we had a census - it was said if enough people put "Jedi" in the "Other" box under religion, it had to be recognised as an official religion in Britain.

Not true, sadly - but would have been cool if it was.

#7 User is offline   Bohrok Awakener Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:50 PM

As cool as it would be to have Jedi as a religion, I think it shouldn't really be recognised because, frankly, it ISN'T a religion. People don't believe in the ways of the Force, because they know that it's just something pulled from a film. It seems to be Star Wars fans just showing their fanboyism by hoping to make Jedi a part of Earth culture.

In the same way, I've heard of kids who have been called Obi-Wan and Anakin. While it is very cool and I'd actually quite enjoy it if Jedi became an official religion, I think it's for the best in the end that it isn't recognised.

BTW, one of my RE textbooks has a section on "Fake Religions", and they mention Jedi. They summarise the Star Wars story, but they wrongly say that Darth Maul "... is the apprentice of the evil Jedi, Darth Vader." Never has it been more obvious that someone has never watched a Star Wars film.

#8 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:51 PM

You go, SWIU!

THANKS! You go to, Binary! happy.gif

Well, SWIU, I had similar beliefs in high school, trust me, it won`t bring you any good!

I've had these beliefs for about three years. I believe it to be the only truth. You say it won't bring any good: Good cannot exist without evil. Know why? Good is a version of evil. Love, is a category of good... we love people because we deep down, want them fully as our own. We think we OWN them. We grow attached to them, because we have an obsession. Love isn't mystical. It's evil and scientific.

Ah sweet, we'll have to have a saber duel some time!

-Jedi-

Sweet! How ironic.

As cool as it would be to have Jedi as a religion, I think it shouldn't really be recognised because, frankly, it ISN'T a religion. People don't believe in the ways of the Force, because they know that it's just something pulled from a film. It seems to be Star Wars fans just showing their fanboyism by hoping to make Jedi a part of Earth culture.

In the same way, I've heard of kids who have been called Obi-Wan and Anakin. While it is very cool and I'd actually quite enjoy it if Jedi became an official religion, I think it's for the best in the end that it isn't recognised.

BTW, one of my RE textbooks has a section on "Fake Religions", and they mention Jedi. They summarise the Star Wars story, but they wrongly say that Darth Maul "... is the apprentice of the evil Jedi, Darth Vader." Never has it been more obvious that someone has never watched a Star Wars film.

Jedi is a religion. Religion cannot be confined in a box. There could be a religion of one or two people. Its a belief system. Jediism is a belief system. So is the religion of Anton LaVey: Satanism.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#9 User is offline   Lord Melkor Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:14 PM

Oh, but Lavey religion is self-contradicting crap, total freedom is degenaration and destruction!

#10 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:35 PM

This makes my head hurt. God isn't real. Don't believe that crap your parents tell you.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#11 User is offline   Veer Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:32 PM

If Jedi was a religion, then Lucas would be your prophet.

Oh! the horror!

alien.gif

#12 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:23 PM

Nope, Lucas aint no prophet, because a lot of the ot writing wasnt his. It was just the general idea.

#13 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:50 PM

As for me, I worship at the altar of Blue. That is, Mr Blue, Robert Shaw's character in Joe Sargent's THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE. He is alive in my heart, in my mind, and in everything I do. Amen.

PS: Religious debates ought to be in the debate club.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#14 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (StarWarsIsUs @ May 19 2005, 04:51 PM)
Jedi is a religion. Religion cannot be confined in a box. There could be a religion of one or two people. Its a belief system. Jediism is a belief system. So is the religion of Anton LaVey: Satanism.

Jedi, is a stupid religion.

firstly a jedi is only someone who has learned to manipulate the force.
they could declare a firm beleif in the force as their religion, but calling it jedi, would be like calling christianity 'prophet'.

i mean none of these people can call themselves a jedi, either.

have any of these people built their own lightsabre?

have they met with the jedi counsel?

have real users of the force invited them in....?

NO!!!

and if i beat up one of these geekwads, they'll be forceed to admit the force is stronger with me...

you just can't take it seriously, because it's not. i really hope not anyway...
being a big fan of film franchise doesn't entitle you build a tax free temple.

that's just sad and lame.

and i'll all but wipe THEM out if they try!!!

and i think comparing it an anyway to satanism is insulting to satanists....
although i have yet to meet a satanist who has successfully become a werewolf by masturbating in a place that scares them... they have a good solid doctrine, and worship a being believed in by several other religions making it a far more ligitimate religion than most.

#15 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:14 AM

Hmmm actually I don't see why Jedi can't be a religion. The force adepts are the higher ups, while the rest of us are just normal folks. It's kind of like saying that one isnt a Christian unless they can turn water into wine. If you follow a general idea of Jediic dogma than you're ok even if you cant make your own lightsaber, no matter how hard you try.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size