Chefelf.com Night Life: Blackwolf on the Lessons of Lordi - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Blackwolf on the Lessons of Lordi Words of wisdom

#1 User is offline   Blackwolf Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:10 AM

Good morrow, Chefelfers!

I'm going to ask you all now to do something I don't think you've ever done before here at Chefelf.com, and that is to consider the triumph of the five maniacal Finnish Laplanders from Santa Claus' favorite city, Rovaniemi --- Lordi --- during this year's 50th Anniversary Eurovision Song Contest, held in Athens, Greece.

When they conquered the Eurovision stage on Saturday night with their incredible ballad Hard Rock Hallelujah, they scored the most points ever in Eurovision history --- this after Finland had gone to Eurovision eight times, and had lost each and every one of those eight times! Well, somebody else has been watching Eurovision, too --- even as I type, NBC executives are in negotiations with members of the European Broadcasting Union to license the rights to the Eurovision property. Should the talks succeed, Eurovision USA could premiere as early as this very autumn!

Anyway, I would like the Chefelfers to check out Eurovision.tv, which has all the results, along with the English lyrics to Hard Rock Hallelujah and debate the pros and cons of Lordi for yourselves. Then, ask yourselves if they're worthy of landing a U.S. gig. I look forward to seeing everyone's responses!

Master Blackwolf

#2 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:25 AM

I didn't see the show this year... and the year before... and the year before because it was basically just getting worse in my opinion, but this year it seems like over ten million people here saw the contest, which is three million more than in the year before.

Maybe the Eurovision guys took the hint this time after all.

I saw parts of Lordi's show, quite alright, not really surprising though and the song itself is actually a little bit far away from hard rock. The last contests already indicated that only those who can put up a good show can hope to score some points... which is a sad prove of what American Idol (or whatever it's called) and its descendants over here demonstrated... ah well, at least it was better than the other pathetic gimmicks they usually show.

And they kicked Germany back to the fifteenth place. Which is more than I would have expected. Hope the idiots learned their lesson.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#3 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:16 PM

The two funniest things about Eurovision:

1.) How four guys in rather silly prosthetics played some guitars and beat the hoardes of otherwise identical acts.

2.) Terry Wogans commentry for the UK.

Sadly, I missed both this year, but discussing the matter beforehand with Icey, I concluded that Holland's entry was... fairly attractive...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#4 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:12 PM

Should I be glad I don't know what the hell any of you are talking about?
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#5 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:27 PM

Yes.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#6 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (Blackwolf @ May 23 2006, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then, ask yourselves if they're worthy of landing a U.S. gig.

of course... they could open for GWAR.

Lordi

GWAR

#7 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:13 PM

...I'm caught somewhere between laughter and "What the fuck?".

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
XD

#8 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:17 PM

Surely you know what Eurovision is, Jane?
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#9 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:27 PM

Well, being an American who's viewing habits are either Comedy Central, nothing at all, or just two specific shows a week...nope. That is, unless I've heard people complaining about it before here and just couldn't remember the name (as usual). But judging from what's already been said about it on this thread alone and not wasting any time clicking those links, I'm guessing "dumb-ass singing contest in Europe that deserves no more attention than American Idol, that is to say, none at all" and moving on without a second thought.

XD

#10 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:16 AM

Watch the episode of Father Ted, "A Song for Europe", to see an interesting view.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#11 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:17 AM

eurovision is a little different to idol. it's real bands from different countries... most of whom make laughable stuff, but there's just something special about it.

#12 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:26 AM

I dare say that Miss Sherwood understood it just perfectly. Thumbs up, mylady. thumbsup.gif

#13 User is offline   Blackwolf Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (Gobbler @ May 24 2006, 03:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dare say that Miss Sherwood understood it just perfectly. Thumbs up, mylady. thumbsup.gif

It pleases me that most of you responded to my thoughts on Lordi. There were one or two things I neglected to mention about the aftermath of their victory at Eurovision: first, that they hail from no less than Santa Claus' favorite city, Rovaniemi, capital city of Finnish Lapland at the very cusp of the Arctic Circle; and that as a result of their victory, the Mayor of Rovaniemi has named a street in the band's honor!

Who knew, then, that a bunch of heavy metal monsters would somehow wind up becoming, dare I say it, NATIONAL HEROES?

Far-fetch'd, say you? Suppose I were to tell you that rock-n'-rollers are able to do the most unexpected things? Why, even Rovaniemi's official Kris Kringle himself gave the freaks of Lordi his personal thumbs-up! Doubtless, Santa will leave something spiky and dangerous in Lordi's stocking this Christmas! (Heh-heh!)

Master Blackwolf

#14 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:00 AM

My dear Blackwolf,

I believe that you did indeed previously mention half of your two articles you thought you had neglected to mention.

QUOTE (Blackwolf @ May 23 2006, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to ask you all now to do something I don't think you've ever done before here at Chefelf.com, and that is to consider the triumph of the five maniacal Finnish Laplanders from Santa Claus' favorite city, Rovaniemi --- Lordi --- during this year's 50th Anniversary Eurovision Song Contest, held in Athens, Greece.

This space for rent. Inquire within.

#15 User is offline   Blackwolf Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ May 25 2006, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My dear Blackwolf,

I believe that you did indeed previously mention half of your two articles you thought you had neglected to mention.

Well, all I can say is: Oops!

Master Blackwolf

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size