Chefelf.com Night Life: Men Trip Out On Fish! - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Men Trip Out On Fish! Wednesday, April 19. 2006

#1 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

Men hallucinate after eating fish

Two men have suffered terrifying visual and auditory hallucinations after eating poisonous fish in Mediterranean restaurants.

According to a clinical study on the patients, which is due to be published in the journal Clinical Toxicology, the men started seeing and hearing terrifying things after contracting a rare form of hallucinogenic poisoning from the fish they were dining on.

Ichthyoallyeinotoxism, or hallucinogenic fish poisoning, is caused by eating the heads or body parts of certain species of reef fish and has previously only been recorded from the Indo Pacific.

The effects of eating ichthyoallyeinotoxic fishes, such as certain mullet, goatfish, tangs, damsels and rabbitfish, are believed to be similar to LSD, and may include vivid and terrifying auditory and visual hallucinations. This has given rise to the collective common name for ichthyoallyeinotoxic fishes of "dream fish".

Pommier and de Haro of the Toxicovigilance Centre Antipoison at Marseille's Hospital Salvator, who undertook the study, said that the men had both eaten a fish called Sarpa salpa, and subsequently suffered from CNS disturbances including terrifying hallucinations and nightmares.

One of the men, a 40-year old, was admitted to hospital suffering from a digestive problem and terrifying visual and auditory hallucinations, which took 36 hours to disappear. The second man, a 90-year old, suffered from auditory hallucinations a couple of hours after eating the same species of fish, followed by a series of nightmares over the next two nights.

The poisoning can start to cause vivid hallucinations within minutes of eating a poisonous fish and may last for days, often with no other effects. There is no antidote.

Ichthyoallyeinotoxism
Indoles, with similar chemical effects to LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) are believed to be responsible and may be consumed when the fish eat algae or phytoplankton containing the chemicals.

Others have claimed that different species of ichthyoallyeinotoxic fishes, such as Kyphosus fuseus, contain much more potent hallucinogens, such as dimethyltryptamine or DMT, which is considered to be one of the world's most mind-bending hallucinogenic chemicals.

Sarpa salpa
The hallucinogenic fish consumed by the men was a member of the Sparidae family and is commonly known as the Salema porgy.

The fish reaches a size of around 50cm/20" and occurs through much of the eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean.

For more details on the hallucinatory fish poisonings see the paper: de Haro L, Pommier P (2006) - Hallucinatory fish poisoning (ichthyoallyeinotoxism): two case reports from the Western Mediterranean and literature review. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2006;44(2):185-8.

http://www.practical...em.php?news=911

And there was me going to waste my money on a little bottle of acid from some dodgy bloke round the corner. More fool me, I should have had something from the fish menu...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#2 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:44 PM

Well I don't know about you, but I'm going to fish me some of that reefer- eh... reef fish now. Laters.

(~It's a reefer day, you want some, policeman? It's a reefer day, lalalaa...~)

This post has been edited by Gobbler: 19 April 2006 - 01:45 PM

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#3 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:50 PM

Yes, but is it the high you want, or the high you DON'T want? I mean, they said horrifying hallucinations... Not cool ones.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#4 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:55 PM

That's what they always say to keep you away from drugs...

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#5 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:58 PM

Well, you can never tell whether its going to be a good trip or a bad one. Maybe they just got some bad fish.

Its a reefer, do you want some policeman, or would you prefer me to shove it up your ass? biggrin.gif

Ah, good times with that song...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#6 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:16 PM

I have never seen people eat the heads of fish before but I suppose it maybe worse if it was mass produced into minced fish.

Isn't it true that some animals with colourful skins are supposed to represent their toxic or poisonous levels?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 19 April 2006 - 02:31 PM

#7 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:28 PM

Yes.

#8 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:58 PM

Well obviously they did not get that message.

Not sure if it is a squid or octopuss that needed certain methods to remove the toxic materials before eating, and also skilled cutters for preparing puffer fish.

Just curious: Whether the reef fish is a recent taste of food, change in body chemicals, or if some kinds of people are not affected as for having immunity to the chemicals.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 19 April 2006 - 03:06 PM

#9 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:11 PM

sad.gif They didn't include descriptions of the hallucinations/nightmares!
"YOU'RE MISSING A PERIOD. YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY, DON'T YOU? YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU FUCK WITH GRAMMAR? WELL, FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MISSING PERIOD! I HOPE IT MEANS YOUR SLUTTY, NON-PUNCTUATED WAYS HAVE GOTTEN YOU TEEN-PREGNANT!"

#10 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:36 PM

Well one did suffer from a digestive problem, I suppose that was included in the "nightmare."

#11 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:08 PM

did anyone else think of young sherlock holmes?

#12 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 19 2006, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
did anyone else think of young sherlock holmes?

What about him?

I Did not watch much of his films.

Unless you mean there was a similar incident with fish poisoning in one of the films?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 19 April 2006 - 07:26 PM

#13 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:31 PM

the openeing scene of the first one when the guys raost turkey tries to kill him.

#14 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 19 2006, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the openeing scene of the first one when the guys raost turkey tries to kill him.

"Tries to kill him." That sounds to me like the turkey was still alive after being cooked, then went round trying to attack people to death. I am unsure here unless it was fantasy. Anyway I'll take that logically as food poisoning from the chicken pieces on their plates.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 19 April 2006 - 07:45 PM

#15 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:42 PM

it was a poinson induced hallucination in the film...

hire it out and you'll understand.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size