Chefelf.com Night Life: Star Wars: Revenge of the Nerd - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Star Wars: Revenge of the Nerd 12:00 AM, 10-APRIL-06 (rep.13/4/6)

#1 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:04 PM

Star Wars Kid Suit Settled
12:00 AM, 10-APRIL-06

"Star Wars kid" Ghyslain Raza, the Canadian teen whose lightsaber fighting was caught on video and posted on the Internet, and his parents reached an out-of-court settlement with the families of three former schoolmates who were sued for making Raza an object of ridicule, the Toronto Globe and Mail newspaper reported.

The settlement came on the eve of a civil trial set that had been set to begin April 10, which would have scrutinized one of the world's first and most-publicized cases of cyber-bullying, the newspaper reported.

Raza and his parents had sued for $351,000 in Canadian currency (about $305,000 U.S.), saying that the experience left him unable to attend school. "It was simply unbearable, totally. It was impossible to attend class," Raza said. Specifics of the settlement remain confidential.

The three students accused of circulating the video were Michaël Caron, Jérôme Laflamme and Jean-Michel Rheault. Proceedings against a fourth, François Labarre, were dropped after Raza acknowledged that the allegations against that student were based on hearsay.

Under questioning, Laflamme and Rheault conceded their role in spreading a video that Raza, then 15, had made of himself and left on a shelf in the school TV studio. Laflamme said he discovered the tape in April 2003, when he took school equipment to film a varsity football game. He showed the tape to Rheault, who made a copy of it.

Caron, who said that he didn't even know the two other pranksters, said in examination that as the tape was being e-mailed among students, he created a Web site and posted the video on it.

According to court filings, the video first appeared on the Internet on the evening of April 14, 2003. About a month later, one U.S. Web blog that had posted the video said it had been downloaded 1.1 million times. Raza's lawyer said in a court filing that the video was so widely circulated that one Internet site solely dedicated to the two-minute clip recorded 76 million visits by October 2004.

News Article

well... maybe bullies will just have to go back to BEATING THE LIVING SNOT OUT OF GEEKS again.

here's a break down of the new moves he taught us;

honestly... this dweeb did it to himself.... and i can't believe he made money off the guys who made him famous. he was on American Dad becuase of them...

honestly, where's the gratitude?

#2 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:22 PM

Oh come on. He entertained a lot of people. Somebody needed to pay.

Teacher said catman's family ought to have sued the school. sad.gif

#3 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:45 PM

the 'kid' used shcool property to record himself being an idiot.

the 'bullies' freely ditributed a mpeg of the tape that they took.

the only person that should legally be able to sue here is the school for the cost of a blank video tape against the so called 'bullies'

#4 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:02 PM

At any rate, it won't be long until LFL sues "SW Kid" for profiting off of their copyright.

#5 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:14 PM

but i wonder if it'll become cannon.

#6 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:05 AM

honestly... this dweeb did it to himself....

How? and does what he did justify his being ridiculed by millions and millions of people worldwide?

#7 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:28 AM

Is true. It sucked enough for me to be the laughing stock of half a school for nigh on three months (I won't tell why, its incriminating for all the wrong reasons), so I wouldn't want the whole world seeing me make a tit of myself.

Well, not without hiedously large royalties, but we'll worry about my singing career later... biggrin.gif
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#8 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 12 2006, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well... maybe bullies will just have to go back to BEATING THE LIVING SNOT OUT OF GEEKS again.

How can you say that, dont you remember when you were young...

But I agree something must be done... no beating up, just death, kill the little shit and get it over with.

#9 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:42 AM

Even though he did it on private ground they could have asked his permission to spread the video, so he may know what to expect.

#10 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:38 AM

There's no excuse for someone being globally ridiculed, even if it was because he left a video laying around.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#11 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (Slade @ Apr 13 2006, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's no excuse for someone being globally ridiculed, even if it was because he left a video laying around.

For being laughed at, do you think it was rude that it was done behind his back globally without him knowing about it before?

If he knew what to expect and said no, which could be one reason why the spreaders did not ask in the first place.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 13 April 2006 - 10:23 AM

#12 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:11 PM

Serioulsy though, who makes a tape of themselves twirling a golf ball reciever around like a lightsaber.

my favorite of the star wars kid movies was the undercover brother one.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#13 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:17 PM

The only thing I can think of to say is smacktard. I think that sums up my views on all of this. If you eat your own snot and someone makes money off it, you shouldn't get any of that money unless you're a professional like Johnny Knoxville. Think about the kind of message this is sending: Humiliate yourself now, cash in later.

If you do something stupid by accident, you shouldn't make money off of it. The people who realize how hilarious it is are the ones doing the work and recognizing non-talent.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#14 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

Bravo.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#15 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:36 AM

Personally, I didn't think much of the videos. But I loved the take off they did(and continued to run)on Arrested Development.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size