Chefelf.com Night Life: Banning Anime? - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Banning Anime? Who's brilliant idea was this?

#16 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Otal Nimrodi @ Apr 10 2006, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But doesn't COBNAT live outside the US?

Yeah but whatever starts in the US ends up in Australia. sad.gif

#17 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:55 PM

what we get from overseas is filtered by the US, quite heavily... if it gets banned there, we'll never see it.

#18 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:24 PM

I think it's a shame such a brilliant and called for movement is being spearheaded but such idiots. *sigh* Anime really is a crime against cartooning. (And no, I don't think putting a 5fps animation in front of a nice background is a redeeming quality for a cartoon.)
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#19 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:33 AM

Whats so bad about anime?

Slade: While anime has little animation, the drawings are way better so it also takes a lot of time.
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#20 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:06 AM

Anime? Little animation? What was the last anime you saw? But seriously...

... Ah! Megami-sama - one of the most romantic ones I've seen so far...

.... Love Hina - well... not quite as romantic, but definitely fun... hang on, I'll go over to that person and introduce him to Video Girl AI or D.N.A.², that should burn his brains away.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#21 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:18 AM

What about that one where they all fall into puddles of water and come out as the opposite sex, or pigs, or whatever, and have ridiculous love triangles and squares and hexagons involving themselves and their fell-into-a-puddle-opposite-sex-counterpart? Can't remember the name... Something and a Quarter? And someone's name is Shampoo... tongue.gif

Anyway - I think this letter is ridiculous, but I can't say I'm a big fan of anime - mostly because the too-much-of-a-contrast between the beautiful pseudo-realistic background images and the very differently-drawn very unrealistic characters messes with my slight OCD. It should match!!! I can handle manga better. (Some artist I make, eh? biggrin.gif)

And it really doesn't take longer to draw an anime character; they're really quite easy. You follow a template just like any other simple cartoon character.
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#22 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:24 AM

Meyh, I judge my media on it's own merits, not it's type. Some anime is good, some is shit. Same as anything else. I have to admit, I haven't watched all that much, but I liked Trigun and Full Metal Alchemist.

Oh, and as for that comment on destroying parliment with fertiliser and fireworks, that was referencing V for Vendetta.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#23 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:42 AM

Oh gods, the planets getting stupider already, and I haven't even had breakfast yet.

Just be thankful that nobody gives a shit in a sling about PetitionOnline petitions. He may as well have made a Geocities page about it...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#24 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Apr 11 2006, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about that one where they all fall into puddles of water and come out as the opposite sex, or pigs, or whatever, and have ridiculous love triangles and squares and hexagons involving themselves and their fell-into-a-puddle-opposite-sex-counterpart? Can't remember the name... Something and a Quarter? And someone's name is Shampoo... tongue.gif

It's Ranma 1/2, yet another crime of the infamous Rumiko Takahashi.

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Apr 11 2006, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway - I think this letter is ridiculous, but I can't say I'm a big fan of anime - mostly because the too-much-of-a-contrast between the beautiful pseudo-realistic background images and the very differently-drawn very unrealistic characters messes with my slight OCD. It should match!!! I can handle manga better. (Some artist I make, eh? biggrin.gif)

Well, the newer animes handle that quite well in my opinion. unsure.gif

QUOTE (SimeSublime)
I have to admit, I haven't watched all that much, but I liked Trigun and Full Metal Alchemist.

Yup yup, two very very decent animes.

OH OH OH! Just remembered which two animes I'd really like to show that person: DearS and Chobits. Man, he's soo gonna freak out!

This post has been edited by Gobbler: 11 April 2006 - 03:11 AM

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#25 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:04 AM

The plots have a tendency to be a little trivial, but (at least in manga) the drawings are usually pretty. The only anime I've ever managed to really get attatched to was Inu-Yasha.

This post has been edited by Mirithorn: 11 April 2006 - 05:05 AM

"YOU'RE MISSING A PERIOD. YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY, DON'T YOU? YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU FUCK WITH GRAMMAR? WELL, FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MISSING PERIOD! I HOPE IT MEANS YOUR SLUTTY, NON-PUNCTUATED WAYS HAVE GOTTEN YOU TEEN-PREGNANT!"

#26 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:28 AM

I'll just pretend I didn't hear that.

#27 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (Slade @ Apr 10 2006, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's a shame such a brilliant and called for movement is being spearheaded but such idiots. *sigh* Anime really is a crime against cartooning. (And no, I don't think putting a 5fps animation in front of a nice background is a redeeming quality for a cartoon.)

Unsure what idiots you mean here, one solution was to bring in controls for anime if it proved to be serious, also what reasons do you think the movement is brilliant?

I did not know it was a crime against art, but what difference do you think the move will make towards the claims of academic performance?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 11 April 2006 - 05:49 AM

#28 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:05 AM

One anime trend that pisses me off is that when the characters get mad in a comdedic fashion, suddenly the artwork degrades to the point that all detail on the character is erased, and they look five years old. I don't understand why they do that, it just makes it look stupid, and really sucks the atmoshpere out of the plot.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#29 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:08 AM

Chibi-drawings are solely there for the comedic effect... hmm... come to think about it, I tend to agree with you, but I can't really remember an anime which destroyed the atmosphere by including a chibi-scene... hang on, I'll scan through my collection again...

#30 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:26 AM

Hey, I wub.gif Chibis! They're cute, and funny, and are there for humor. They wouldn't be in a dramatic scene.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size