Chefelf.com Night Life: MSN's the best and worst TV spin offs - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MSN's the best and worst TV spin offs http://entertainment.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=218281&GT1=7703

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:39 PM

Originally found here http://entertainment...218281&GT1=7703

TV Spin-offs
The good, the bad and the what were they thinking?

By Kati Johnston
Special to MSN Entertainment

It's human nature to want to let the good times roll as long as they possibly can -- and in the networks' case, to milk a concept within an inch of its life. Thus was born the TV spin-off, which takes a character or a concept from a successful show and lets it fly like a baby bird all on its own. Some have been great -- sometimes better than the shows from which they spun. Some have been clunkers. And some have been so wildly off-the-mark that you have to wonder what the network execs were thinking (and possibly smoking). Here's our list of favorite high- and lowlight TV spin-offs:

The Good
"Rhoda" (1974)/"Lou Grant" (1977): The wildly popular "Mary Tyler Moore Show" (1970) spun off both of these successful and appealing series, each with its own very different tone. "Rhoda" kept "MTM's" single-gal-struggling sitcom concept going, with great writing and a strong cast. "Lou Grant" became a serious drama -- not without a fair amount of humor -- about the Los Angeles newspaper biz and the issues it tackled, both inside and outside the newsroom. (Even "MTM" had her clunker spin-off, though; remember "Phyllis"? Cloris Leachman is a great character actress, but her whiny Phyllis was best as a punch line, not a lead character.)

"Frasier" (1993): This spin-off from the '80s phenomenon "Cheers" (1982) relocated stuffy shrink Frasier Crane to Seattle and proceeded to outdo its original show, with top-notch writing, snappy dialogue and great cast chemistry. The occasional guest visit from "Cheers" stars Ted Danson, Shelley Long and most memorably Bebe Neuwirth as Lilith kept the connection, but it always was Frasier's show.

"Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987): Among the gajillions of spin-offs from the original '60s "Star Trek," "The Next Generation" was distinguished by a great cast led by Patrick Stewart. The dialogue was still inane ("Make it so," already), but Stewart's presence cast a gravitas most welcome amid the crew's adventures.

"Melrose Place" (1992): This randy spawn of "Beverly Hills, 90210" (1990) got America re-addicted to nighttime soaps.

(Remember Rolling Stone's classic graphic showing who'd slept with whom on the show, with the characters connected by little dotted lines made out of ... sperm cells?) Where "90210" was earnest, "Melrose" was nasty and unpredictable -- just the little pick-me-up that viewers needed. And Amanda? One of TV's best villains ever. (We don't lament the loss of "Models, Inc.," however; those producers seemed to think a lot of pretty faces would make up for poor plot and dialogue.)

"Laverne & Shirley" (1976)/"Mork & Mindy" (1978): "Happy Days" (1974), one of the most successful American sitcoms ever, procreated like there was no tomorrow. Two great shows, "Laverne & Shirley" and "Mork & Mindy," were born and showcased the comedic talents of Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams in the former, while the latter launched the bottle rocket known as Robin Williams. Sadly, some of "Happy Days'" kids were not so "Happy"; see below.

"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (1999): Before Dick Wolf abandoned the use of all birth control, his hit "Law & Order" (1990) seemed prime to become a franchise, and he chose well when he launched "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit." The cast, featuring Mariska Hargitay and Chris Meloni, gelled in a way that only a few seasons of the original "L&O" did. It remains crisp, compelling and cutting edge. If only its siblings had fared so well; more below.

"Angel" (1999): We still miss "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997) and Sarah Michelle Gellar and her gang of evil-fighters at Sunnydale High. But the spin-off "Angel" was surprisingly strong -- with a much darker feel and fresh plotlines. (The phone calls to Buffy weren't the same as having a guest appearance by Gellar, though some of "Buffy's" best cast members, such as James Marsters as Spike and Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia, joined the "Angel" cast.)

"Maude" (1972)/"The Jeffersons" (1975): Norman Lear's groundbreaking "All in the Family" (1971) pushed television into edgy new frontiers, tackling racism, class issues, women's equality and a host of other topical notions, through the lens of the unapologetic Archie Bunker. As the original waned, spin-offs were inevitable, and two great ones -- "Maude," which showcased the indomitable Bea Arthur, and "The Jeffersons," starring comic geniuses Sherman Hemsley and Isabel Sanford -- were as addictive as the original. Because these were so stellar, we'll forgive the misfires of "Archie Bunker's Place" (1979) and (gulp) "Gloria" (1982) -- aaah, that voice!

"The Muppet Show" (1976): Kids' shows have had spin-offs, too. "Sesame Street" (1969), still going strong after decades, introduced America to Jim Henson's marvelous Muppets, who then went on to star in their own "The Muppet Show" and have guest gigs on "Saturday Night Live" and fabulous movie careers. Their secret: never writing or talking down to kids while slipping in a few jokes that grown-ups loved. Remember Cookie Monster as Alistair Cookie, host of "Monsterpiece Theatre"?

"The Simpsons" (1989): A lot of folks forget "The Simpsons" started as an occasional short feature on "The Tracey Ullman Show" (1987), but whoever decided to give Springfield's finest their own half-hour show was brilliant. The show is still a bright light in Fox's lineup, and a recent study showed that more American kids were familiar with "The Simpsons" than the U.S. Constitution. We the People have spoken ... d'oh!

The Bad
"Joanie Loves Chachi" (1982): Even the "Happy Days" creators had their misfires: The well-intentioned but pretty stinky "Joanie Loves Chachi" was probably doomed from the get-go (though trivia buffs will enjoy knowing that the pilot episode was a big hit in Korea, where "chachi" means penis). Stars Erin Moran and Scott Baio were appealing enough but couldn't sustain the flimsy premise. And don't even get us started on the animated series "Fonz and the Happy Days Gang" (1980). Heyyy!

"Star Trek: Everything Else": Can we just stop boldly going, already? "TNG" was strong; everything else -- "Deep Space Nine" (1993), "Voyager" (1995), ad nauseum -- has been obtuse, diluted or just plain dull. Let Gene Roddenberry and his vision rest in peace -- so that the rest of us can.

"Law & Order: Criminal Intent" (2001): How far can Wolf take his police procedurals? "L&O: Criminal Intent" has its moments, but now the cast has doubled and is just plain confusing; "Trial by Jury" (2005) died while incarcerated (who cares about the sleazy perps and the people who defend them?); and brace yourself for the most recent spin-off, "Conviction," which revolves around -- wait for it -- hot young assistant district attorneys. Enough already! And honestly, we secretly believe Wolf is somehow responsible for all the "CSI"s and "NCIS"s too.

"Tabitha" (1977): "Bewitched" (1964), the sweet and frothy '60s sitcom about a suburban witch and her clueless husband, clicked because of the guileless performance of Elizabeth Montgomery as Samantha. But once it ran its course, creators tried to build a show around the charisma-free daughter character, "Tabitha." She was cute in her crib moving her nose back and forth with her pudgy baby finger -- but that's a 10-second gag, not a 30-minute one.

"Knots Landing" (1979): What police procedurals are today, nighttime soaps were to the early '80s, so you probably couldn't blame the creators of the great guilty pleasure "Dallas" (1978) for trying to spin off another show. But "Knots Landing" never delivered like "Dallas," lacking a great villain like J.R. Ewing, and its setting in a generic California cul-de-sac coated the drama in blandness from which it never escaped. (Though we liked that one gal whose name we always thought was Valvoline.)

"Dr. Phil" (2002): Everything Oprah Winfrey touches turns to gold, but that doesn't mean it's all golden. Dr. Phil is great in small doses (or at least palatable) but just can't sustain his own show, "Dr. Phil," much less his own cult of personality, try as he might. Y'all, sometimes that dog just won't hunt.

What Were They Thinking?
"Joey" (2004): We've said it before: NBC squandered its best opportunity of the 2004 season, taking the most likable and interesting character from the juggernaut "Friends," Matt LeBlanc's Joey Tribbiani, by transplanting him, in "Joey," to California (did he move to Knots Landing?), and surrounding him with annoying sidekicks and generic gags.

"The Ropers" (1979)/"Three's a Crowd" (1984): Sometimes bad spin-offs are easy to predict. When you start with a show such as "Three's Company" (1977), based completely on sexy double entendres about two women rooming with a guy and a lot of jiggling and elbow-nudging, you might not have enough to work with. The original show was appealing because of the stars' chemistry, especially that of Suzanne Somers and John Ritter. But take away Somers and you've got ... "Three's a Crowd" (shudder) and even more icky, "The Ropers." Honestly, Somers' subsequent infomercials for the ThighMaster made for better TV.

"Diagnosis Murder" (1993): Was there any reason for "Jake and the Fatman" (1987) in the first place? So what are we to make of its spin-off, "Diagnosis Murder," which was essentially "Murder, She Wrote" in a hospital? Precious years of prime time, all wasted.

"Baywatch Nights" (1995): Let's get this straight: The appeal of "Baywatch" (1990), as we all know, was to watch gorgeous lifeguards jogging in their bathing suits along the sands in the warm California sun. So the point of "Baywatch Nights" was to ... what? Show what the kids did when the sun went down? It had something to do with an agency and solving stuff, but other than launching the career of Angie Harmon, this spin-off deserved its untimely death.

"Petticoat Junction" (1963)/"Green Acres" (1965): How low (brow) can you go? Some folks loved "The Beverly Hillbillies" (1962) and its fish-out-of-Dogpatch premise; others couldn't make it through one episode. But the appetite for hick comedies was high in the '60s, and the show actually spun off two -- successful! -- shows, "Petticoat Junction" (the point of which seemed to be imagining the girls of Hooterville -- get it? -- bathing in that water reservoir; hey, people drink that stuff!) and "Green Acres," the best actor of which was, hooves down, Arnold the pig.

Kati Johnston is a freelance writer who specializes in entertainment. Send e-mail to Kati at Kati.Johnston@comcast.net
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:49 PM

Muh... I agree with most of them, but Mirithorn says that Star Trek: TNG wasn't true enough to the source material.

I liked Diagnosis Murder. It's only on late, though, which might be why.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#3 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:37 AM

I’m a Buffy fan, but Angle kinda sucked. I guess I just didn’t enjoy watching David Boreanez running around beating the crap out of people as much as I did Sarah Michelle Gellar.

#4 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:11 PM

I liked DS9.
I am the Fisher King.

#5 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:35 PM

i agree with much of that...

but melrose place sucked ass

and opra sucks too...

and Lord Aquaman, We all call DS9 melrose space

or deep sleep 9.

#6 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Mar 29 2006, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I’m a Buffy fan, but Angle kinda sucked. I guess I just didn’t enjoy watching David Boreanez running around beating the crap out of people as much as I did Sarah Michelle Gellar.

I'd have to agree there.

Oh, and... I like Charmed better than both of them.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#7 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (Otal Nimrodi @ Mar 29 2006, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd have to agree there.

Didn't they cancel Charmed?
I am the Fisher King.

#8 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE (Otal Nimrodi @ Mar 30 2006, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd have to agree there.

That was a joke, right? Please tell me that was a joke. Charmed is one of the most pathetic shows I've ever seen. I loved Buffy, and thought Angel was even better. But I feel nothing but disgust for the detrius of TV waste that is Charmed.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#9 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:09 AM

Sime, you've just gotten yourself a die-hard fan.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#10 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:35 AM

I never really got into it either, mostly because I couldn’t help but pick their ‘magic’ apart, which isn’t fair but I cant help it. Shannen Doherty is pretty hot though. So is Alyssa Milano for that matter. I know a lot of people who love that show, so it cant be all bad.

#11 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:04 AM

I'd forgotten about Models, Inc. Anyone remember the fresh male lead from that one? Man, his career rose after that summer run.

#12 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

I've never seen Charmed, nor do I ever want to, but I was a massive fan of Buffy and Angel when both shows were still on (the fandom's still there of course, but it's faded in the past year or so). I can't think of one series as being better than the other, though. The only major thing I can pick out is that while some or the earlier Buffy episodes can lose some appeal after you pass the high school age, the Angel episodes can stick with you longer because it's not completely teen-centric.

That, and I love Spike. And both series have Spike.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#13 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:52 PM

In the end, it wasn't about Buffy anymore anyway. Spike ruled the show. And he was a good ruler, yes indeed.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#14 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:58 PM

All bow before the Great and Powerful (and dead sexy) Spike! The Lord and Master of Fangirls/(Boys?) of the Whedonverse!
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#15 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:42 PM

Don't forget that he was blond.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic