Chefelf.com Night Life: Show's that were unfairly cut down in their prime or before they even had a prime - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Show's that were unfairly cut down in their prime or before they even had a prime

#16 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:13 PM

FRIENDS. 10 years just wasn't enough. Those people were like my friends, you know, like members of the family. I was happy to invite them into my living room from week to week to share their joy and their heartbreak, their laughter and their love.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#17 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:26 PM

really?

#18 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:08 AM

It makes me sad, Barend, that you have to ask. I know I'm not sarcastic often, but come on. laugh.gif
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#19 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:31 AM

yeah, well maybe it was the dead pan way in which you said it... dry.gif

#20 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:56 PM

wah wahhhhh (muted trumpet)

The Cowboys (with Mark Hamill,) based on the John Wayne movie.

#21 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:53 PM

I agree with most of the show said here.

I must add:

Invader Zim
Clone High
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#22 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:46 PM

Fine. SQUARE PEGS. While I have no idea if it was any good, I liked it when I was 14. They should release its one season on DVD.

#23 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Apr 11 2006, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wah wahhhhh (muted trumpet)

The Cowboys (with Mark Hamill,) based on the John Wayne movie.

Also in that vein: Brisco County, Jr., anyone?
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#24 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

I used to love that...

i had mixed feeling about the elvis character, and briscoe's over abundant knowlege of advanced physics in 1885 but it had bruce campbell in it....

but no, i really did enjoy it.

#25 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:16 AM

The Outer Limits.

What.?. mellow.gif

#26 User is offline   Casual Fan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:00 PM

I think this is an impossible category, given the way the TV business works.

Sometimes shows get cancelled after only one episode, or less than one season. There are lots of these shows, and you can't really tell if they would have been any good. But I guess all of them were "unfairly" cut down, by definition. I never got the idea behind spending the money to produce actual episodes of a show, to the point where they can be aired on nationwide TV, and then show one and cut them down. Don't television executives watch these things before they put them on the air? Don't they show them to test audiences? If you have a season's worth of episodes in the can, what is the cost to the network of just airing all of them in the hopes that they eventually find an audience?

I guess I just don't get the concept behind the "pilot". If you are so unsure of what makes a good TV series that you to wait until a single episode airs before deciding whether to schedule it for a season, I just don't know about that business model. Imagine if this concept was used for other products.

OTOH, once an episode is on for at least a couple seasons, the tendency seems to be to milk it for all its worth, and not put it to sleep until the concept has visibly gotten tired. Hence the concept of "jumping the shark", which all series do eventually. Some teams of writers and producers have kept this to a minimum, such as with "Seinfeld" (I think it definitely got worse in its last two years, but it wasn't horrible), but usually what is happening is painfully obvious.

#27 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:53 PM

Anything that had Bruce Campbell in it and isn't being aired anymore, was obviously taken off air too soon.

#28 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Apr 14 2006, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also in that vein: Brisco County, Jr., anyone?

I remember Brisco. Bruce Campbell post-Evil Dead trilogy. I blame the X-Files for wrecking Brisco's chances of becoming a big TV hit. I keep hoping that they'll put on DVD some day in the future; if they put "Ned & Stacy" on DVD, why not Brisco County, Jr.?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#29 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:26 PM

Ned & Stacy was fantastic... more so at the time, but it just went places that other shows didn't even think of..

#30 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 23 2006, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ned & Stacy was fantastic... more so at the time, but it just went places that other shows didn't even think of..

Like beautiful red headed women being caught naked after having long, hot, passionate, sweaty sexual marathon trysts with their lovers?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic