Chefelf.com Night Life: Why is there so much hatred for the prequels here? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Why is there so much hatred for the prequels here?

#106 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:22 PM

lap dogs: the salacious crumb to George Lucas' Jabba the Hutt

#107 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 3 2006, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lap dogs: the salacious crumb to George Lucas' Jabba the Hutt

Or Jabba the Slut. HAHAHA. I hope that made some sense.

<.<

>.>

#108 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:18 AM

#109 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:29 AM

#110 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:45 AM

#111 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:31 PM

OH! hahahahahha

#112 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:16 PM

Yeah Lucas has said many times he intended all six, nine, twelve or whoever many movies to be all told from the perspective of the droids, the real man characters of the saga.

While at the same time saying that "it's really the story of the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker."

#113 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:26 PM

I NOTICED TAHT GEORGE LIUCAS DIDNT HAVE A TAIL zorro.gif SO I :{p{{{ ** NOTICED THAT HE DIDNT HAE ONE YET SO I HACKED OFF ALL OF MY PETS TAILS INA HONAR OF THE LUCAS MASTER THWARGGGGGFUGAHHHHHHHHHHHH!?!?!?!?!?! sorcerer.gif
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#114 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (KurganX @ Apr 4 2006, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah Lucas has said many times he intended all six, nine, twelve or whoever many movies to be all told from the perspective of the droids, the real man characters of the saga.

Give me two quotes (so we can be sure) where he said this. I personally heard him say this about ANH only, which is the only film (as ive said) where the concept is even remotly explored.

The fact is that it was just another thing Lucas ripped off another director (Kurasawa and Hidden Fortress to be precise) and even then the idea only works for streaches (and certain shots) of the film.

#115 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:04 AM

Anikan ruined most of TPM for me, but I still consider it good or fair becouse of the other parts in the movie.

#116 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Apr 4 2006, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Give me two quotes (so we can be sure) where he said this. I personally heard him say this about ANH only, which is the only film (as ive said) where the concept is even remotly explored.

The fact is that it was just another thing Lucas ripped off another director (Kurasawa and Hidden Fortress to be precise) and even then the idea only works for streaches (and certain shots) of the film.

Get me two posters who deny the possibility.

#117 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:44 PM

rolleyes.gif

I was told (by you) that it was a fact that the OT was related through the eyes of the droids, and this is something else that Lucas fucked up with the PT. I explained (fairly well I thought) why I thought this wasn't the case and I asked you to provide your case as to why you thought this was true.

I got- NOTHING.

I was told there were "numerous quotes" to back up the idea that the narrative was supposed to come from the droids in all 3 OT films. I asked for evidence.

I got- NOTHING.

Which means (tap tap tap) that i'm still waiting for SOMETHING to show me that i'm wrong.

#118 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:17 PM

alot of people felt that way about the holiday special...

i spent years trying to convince people i had seen additional material, and so few believed....

but it got out in the end and no heaps of people have it on DVD...

i have recolections of lucas saying that everything was meant to be from the droids perspective and to be honest the two times luke faces vader and the conversation between luke and lieah in ROTJ, (and of course empire POV) are generally the only times in which the droids aren't present...

they may not be in every shot but they are generally there...

in the PT much longer stretches of time go past with out them...

but more infuriatingly having C3p0's memory wiped rather defeats the purpose of him being there at all...

C3P0: what a desolate place this is...
R2D2: what? oh right... you had your memory wiped... you were made here... obiwan kenobi dropped darth vaders kids off here so we should try to find owen and his hottie girlfriend cause they probably know where obiwan is...
C3P0: what?!? i don't remember being involved in anything like that...
R2D2 : don't you...? not even the time your head got stuck to killbot? that was fucking gold!

#119 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:31 PM

Just so as we’re clear on what Lucas meant by this- the idea was originally supposed to be a, uh, homage shall we say to Kurosawas Hidden Fortress, in which 2 bumbling serf types accompany the story around and generally don’t know what’s happening, but we get to figure out the story through their eyes so to speak.

In actual, real practical terms, not only does this not work in Star Wars past A New Hope, I think it only actually works in the first half of the film, roughly until they meet Han and the droids are forgotten or (like R2) become basic devices to move the plot forward.
Personally I think the only shot he had in mind was the shot of 3PO and R2 walking away from the camera after first landing on Tatoonine, which is basically a direct rip off/homage/reference whatever to said Kurosawa film.

I think that Lucas does actually revisit the idea in the PT a little bit in TPM, where sections of the story (mostly on Courascant) are filtered through the POV of either Anakin or JJ, neither of whom really know whats going on and so sort of remind me of those dudes from Hidden Fortress.

#120 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:13 PM

I haven't watched The Hidden Fortress, so I wouldn't have the attitude that it's episode 4 specific. Perhaps You read that Ep 4 was based on THF, so that's the basis for your justified position. Or maybe you figured it out on your own, that's cool.

Just so as we’re clear on what Lucas meant by this- the idea was originally supposed to be a, uh,

Well, I heard that GL said... (and this was when there was no internet. Starlog issues and SW articles were gleaned and scrutinized, but new information on upcoming episodes was the slow release of a three-year trickle.) Well, I read that GL said the droids would be the tie which would bind the trilogies together (since no living person would be around for the complete saga).

Others hold this memory. Additionally, others think as you do. (Maybe we're both right.)

I'm not so interested in what GL ever intended for something to be originally; I'm more interested in revealing him for the fraud he is.

(And if I should remember to be grateful for all he's given me, I need not forget all that he's taken back.)

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size