• (2 Pages)
  • +

Amidala's Pregnancy How will it work?

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:46 PM

After reading Marri's post something occurred to me. How are they going to work in Amidala's pregnancy? I could be wrong but doesn't she have to get pregnant, flee Anakin, give birth to the twins and die. All in the next movie? I guess technically she could not die in Episode III but it seems pretty weak to have her give birth and then just die, unexplained, off camera in between Episodes III and IV.

What am I saying? As if Lucas would not do something simply because it doesn't work well in a story.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:48 PM

This has been the problem since the 2nd movie, chef. Lucas cannot possibly put everything in part III. This pregnancy never occured to me either. That, stacked with the building of the Obi/Anakin relationship, Lucas has an impossible task to perform.

Oh, and just one more thing. In the span of 1 hour and 25 mins (roughly) Anakin has to become super evil and turn to the darkside. Or is it a last minute ordeal? I'm not sure, but the amount of explaining and character relation building is not possible to complete in just one more film.

My best guess is that the pregnancy will be done in the background or in transition with other scenes. For example, like the Scene in Godfather; Whlie Michael is attending his Son's christening (sp?) All those hit's on the other mob families are taking place.----sweet scene. Or, maybe it does not need to be metnion it at all. The final scene might just show a shot of Amidala with a round tummy looking sad.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#3 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:46 PM

A better question might be how is Lucas going to explain Luke and Leia's CONCEPTION tongue.gif

Seriously though, Lucas has wasted so much film time in the last two episodes that anything he shows in this last episode is going to be rushed and unsatisfying.

While it is insinuated that Amidala lives past the events of the PT, I can't imagine a fufilling end that doesn't have Amidala die tragically. I can't imagine Anakin leaving without continually trying to turn Anakin back to the good side, regardless of his transformation. In my soon to be posted trilogy concept, I have Amidala getting killed by one of Boba Fett under the orders of Palpatine. Anakin is distressed by this and realizes that everything that was Anakin Skywalker is gone, {his wife, his friendship with Obi-Wan, his mother, his hand and most of all his honor as a Jedi). This now makes it easier for Anakin to completely go to the darkside and become Darth Vader {which is facilitated by a climatic duel with Obi-Wan that leads to him falling into a lava pit}. It also explains why Darth Vader would go back to the good side once he finds out that he has two children. Anakin is not dead, something good has come out of his love for Amidala, Obi-Wan has trained HIS son. It gives Darth Vader the motive to become Anakin again. I would also have the movie end with Obi-Wan burying Amidalas body on Tatooine in a solitary but touching seen. Obi-Wan would say good bye to Obi-Wan, Beru and the infant Luke, with Obi-Wan saying something regarding his seeing Luke again at some point. The trilogy would end with Obi-Wan simply walking into the desert as Luke and Beru, and Owen watch.

As for the birth, I would have twins born on camera, on Dagobah of all places. It would be precluded by a scene in which Yoda has a heated argument with Obi-Wan as to why he decided to teach Anakin. The argument ends with Yoda saying to Obi-Wan that he is no longer a Jedi anymore and to leave his prescence, his sight and his home forever. The scene is interupted by Amidalas labor, of which See Threepio, Artoo-Deeto and Yoda assist as Obi-Wan witnesses.

I don't think Lucas has anything like this in mind for the third movie. I thing Chef Elf's prediction of a horrible baby-naming sequence is more truth than fiction sad.gif

#4 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (Mike Mac from NYU @ Mar 9 2004, 08:46 PM)
In my soon to be posted trilogy concept, I have Amidala getting killed ... under the orders of Palpatine. Anakin is distressed by this and realizes that everything that was Anakin Skywalker is gone, {his wife, his friendship with Obi-Wan, his mother, his hand and most of all his honor as a Jedi). This now makes it easier for Anakin to completely go to the darkside and become Darth Vader {which is facilitated by a climatic duel with Obi-Wan that leads to him falling into a lava pit}.

Rest assured, that is also exactly how Lucas will do it. The return to grace in JEDI pretty much screamed that. The Emperor tried to kill Anikin's children. In fact, the Emperor probably convinces Anikin that they ARE dead before it's discovered that luke is alive.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#5 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:12 PM

I think they already said Amidala will die, that's pretty much been confirmed. And this just harkens back to what I've been saying all along: Episode I, regardless of entertainment value, was one of the most pointless movies ever made. Lucas HIMSELF says that it was just backstory, and with Episode II he could get on with the story. Newsflash George: YOU DON'T NEED 2 HOURS OF GODDAMN BACKSTORY! Episode I should have had about 15-30 minutes of itself, and the rest should have been Episode II. Then in the new Episode II you develop both the love relationship, pregnancy, and Anakin's turn to the dark side much more, and in Episode III you don't have to cram everything in there. I think it's still possible to do it, but it's gonna be one dark goddamn movie. Because Lucas pussied out and couldn't put anything bad in Episode I to develop the story and had to make it appeal to 5-year-olds, he's now gonna have to make a movie that will be very frightening to 5-year-olds, hell maybe even 10-year-olds, alienating the audience he wants. Smart moves George.

#6 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:43 PM

It's not untill vader fights luke over the death star in ANH that he seems to realize he has a son. because it's the first thing on his mind in ESB.
something happens to their relationship before it's known that Amidala is up the duff, so anikan obviously never finds out that he has kids on the way. She leaves luke with owen and beru, but decides to raise liea herself (luke doesn't remember her but liea does!)

Vader shows no signes of looking for a son in the first film , so he musn't of known!!! - although.... maybe he knew she was pregnant but didn't know she was going to have twins, and THAT"S why they were seperated, but then that suggests that Amidala decided to only protect one.... -and that idea is just horrible.

and if it doesn't sound like (going on the dialog of the OT) Amidala gave up Leia, it sounds more like she got together with someone on alderan (probably a king?) and tried to raise her under those conditions. That being the case if Amidala was hunted down Leia would have been killed too (or taken). so either Amidalas death was;
a. unrelated
b. due to an injury that took a while to claim her
c. she ventured out later, and was stumbled across.

but this leads to the question: why didn't vader recognise leia as kin when he found her in ANH? So Vader probably didn't recognise luke as his son... he probably found a note in obi-wans cloak, that he left there so that vader would find luke, beacuse deep down obi-wan knew that the two would have to confront each other!!! (or Obi-Wan is just careless with his post-it-notes).

#7 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:49 PM

Ep II would have been so much more satisfying had Anakin turned to the dark side towards the end, leaving all of Ep III for battles between he and Obi-Wan.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#8 Guest_Marri_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 March 2004 - 03:15 AM

The timelines in all the SW films are rather hurried, aren't they? It always seemed to me as if Luke's entire training on Dagobah took place within a few days. But this wasn't a real problem then since the whole of the original trilogy followed and developed the feelings, experiences and characters of the main crew. Luke seems very real to me all the way through because much, but not too much, time is devoted to showing his conflicting emotions. This is the focus of the film. In the PM (and AoTC, which I have also only seen once) there was hurried time schedules AND no character development.

On the whole it seems out of character for GL to have a film where Amidala starts, goes through and finishes a pregnancy, which should take about a year. Maybe the next film starts with her giving birth. Er... and nobody telling Anakin... Nah, probably not such a good idea.

(Thanks for the welcome BTW and I will register, but right now I couldn't access the page.)

#9 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:42 AM

Reasons to Hate Episode III, #1 Amidala's absurb pregnacy!

I'm with everyone on this. I just don't see that it is going to work out. The time line is all wrong currently, the setting is all wrong, the character interations are all wrong and even the wrongness is all wrong.

It's just one big wrong fest waiting to unlesh it's wrongness upon the whole world. I hate it already, no matter what Lucass (spelling intended) does with it.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#10 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 10 March 2004 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (Supes @ Mar 10 2004, 08:42 AM)
It's just one big wrong fest

laugh.gif

That just made my day. Well put.

#11 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 10 March 2004 - 06:15 PM

they're not going to show her pregnant because no ones going to perving on a knocked up portman...

I bet $10, the kids are already born by the begening of EP#3 (JUST SO THEY CAN HAVE KIDS IN THE FILM), and we will be left to just asume that ani forgot, (seein as he already forgets so much by ANH).

cheap fuckers!!

#12 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2004 - 06:19 PM

Actually I believe the kids will be born near the end of the film, either on Dagobah or a new planet (don't you love how he just makes new planets out of thin air?). Just FYI.

#13 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Mar 10 2004, 06:15 PM)
they're not going to show her pregnant because no ones going to perving on a knocked up portman...

What about that movie where she plays the pregnant teen. That didn't seem to stop anyone? wink.gif

Actually I believe the kids will be born near the end of the film, either on Dagobah or a new planet (don't you love how he just makes new planets out of thin air?). Just FYI.

Yeah. Note to George: Stop making up new crap planets and start using the ones from the OT to prove their worth in the saga. Alderaan? Corellia? Dagobah?

#14 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2004 - 09:20 PM

You know what really pisses me off? Moreso than not seeing Alderaan is not seeing Corellia! I mean, come on, show us why being Corellian is so cool, why they don't believe in odds, all that cool Corellian mercenary stuff. Show us a planet of cool rogues. It also could have been a great plot device. Why not have Jedi sent to Corellia, where they meet a mercenary who becomes important to the plot, so that at least we can have some semblance of a normal character like Solo to relate to in the movie. It sure as hell would've made for more interesting conversation, and would have given us a character to like. Hell, if they wanted to be tragic, they could even show him be killed in Episode III by Anakin, whom he had developed a good friendship with. That would have really symbolized the end of the good Anakin if he killed a character that everyone liked, instead of Jules, err, Mace Windu.

#15 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 11 March 2004 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Mar 10 2004, 08:52 PM)
QUOTE (barend @ Mar 10 2004, 06:15 PM)

What about that movie where she plays the pregnant teen. That didn't seem to stop anyone? wink.gif

yeah, well, it stopped me! dry.gif

QUOTE (Chefy @ a minute ago)
Yeah. Note to George: Stop making up new crap planets and start using the ones from the OT to prove their worth in the saga. Alderaan? Corellia? Dagobah?

not to be a nerd, but Dagobah is a system not a planet. (sorry, for some unknown reason it bothers me still... ) blink.gif

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size