• +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fly, R2, Fly

#61 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 4 2006, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If your cat is just a plain, old, stupid cat... that's all it is.

First of all, thems fightin words.

Don't worry, Abbey. You'll grow out of this phase sooner, or later.

Secondly - I called you a douche all in good fun, but this is just infuriating. Don't talk down to me you silly fuck. I may be young but I am chock full of worldly experience and I aint afraid to use it.

There really is no need to get offended

Thirdly, I am not offended.

we all go through the same phase where we think we know more than everyone else

You raise the intelligence flag far more than anybody else here, so take a good look at your house's construction before you start chucking stones.

When you figure out that you were really fooling yourself into thinking you were smarter than you were, you will find humility and enlightenment. I am in no way calling you stupid, so please don't take it that way. I am saying that you have much to learn, young Padawan, but you're by no means stupid.

Not cool. Just because I dont consider my dishwasher and my dildo a robot doesnt mean I think I know more than everybody else. Your feeble attempts at condescension only further your image as a douche.

Jejef, you cant expect to have meaningful conversations with other human beings if you talk to them like they're little children.

This post has been edited by Sailor Abbey: 05 April 2006 - 09:51 AM

#62 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Apr 4 2006, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah. I can't wait for it to come to our theater. Everybody's talking about it! What's it like?

Good, I think.

Good enough to start talking about again, guys?

Please?

!?

#63 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:23 PM

Jejef: There is an English word "nauseous." It means "causing nausea; sickening." You're saying that because it is often m,isused when the user wants to say "nauseated," that it doesn't exist. I think you may be similarly misusing "robot," giving it a broader application than intended by its creators. Maybe not; however a dictionary's simplstic definition will never resolve this. Your best bet would be to visit the robotics department of a university and ask them. Likely they will tell you that since its creation in 1920, the word is widely misunderstood. They will say that while applied in their field only to specific types of machines, the word can, yes, be used to describe photocopiers and VCRs. They won't admit it, but the broader use of the word is annoying to them. Anyway, arguing for the broadest possible use of the word doesn't show how smart you are; it just points out how useless the word is. Jeez, you sound like one of those guys who takes the idea that religion can refer to a belief system derived from a set of as-yet-unproven axioms to mean that mathematics is therefore a religion. You want to drain all the usefulness out of a word, go ahead. As for me, I still see a fundamental difference in design, function and intent between my VCR and the Mars Rovers. It bothers me, albeit only a little, that you don't want to regard that.

PS: Are you the same guy that ran the table on two separate topics regarding the definition of the word "absolute?" I'm sure there's a place for nitpicking with no purpose. I'm not sure if it's here.

PPS: Goth kids sitting in Denny's talking about nihilism? What's that got to do with anything? Well, at least they were keeping it real. In my experience, Goth is not a lifestyle; it's a hairstyle.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#64 User is offline   Harmonica Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:40 PM

Jejef Thgaron, you really don't have a very good grasp of English or history, do you?

There are robots all around you. Your refridgerator is a robot; so is your stereo; so is your stove; your microwave. They all serve a purpose.

Purpose does not equate robot. All machines are built for a purpose.

it seems as if you've proved my friend Webster wrong again...

robot n. machine which works like a human being

Until you can conclusively show us that your dictionary is the latest up-to-date edition and really says that and you're not just making that up to help your point, my good friend Dictionary.com trumps your pithy paper publication.

civilian number two brought this point up earlier, and it's such a shame that it got ignored, perhaps because it was too rational for things.

robot (n)

"A mechanical device that sometimes resembles a human and is capable of performing a variety of often complex human tasks on command or by being programmed in advance."

There's a key word there. Variety. A stereo, a refrigerator, a stove, a microwave. They aren't robots in they serve but one single function. Nor are the tasks performed complex, but then again, they are not required to be, so that criteria may be ignored. Neverless, it could be argued (I wouldn't agree with such an argument, but it's still valid) that the dishwasher undertakes multiple types of activities and is therefore a robot. Abbey is incorrect in asserting that robots must have bodies; those are androids that by definition must resemble humans. However, the assertion that robots are simply those that do human tasks is far too broad.

Let's look at another word then.

Machine (n)

"A system or device, such as a computer, that performs or assists in the performance of a human task."

Under your definition, that thus means that every single machine is a robot. That's silly, for obvious reasons.

Listen, my dildo does the same job as a penis - that doesn't make it a robot.

laugh.gif I'd just like to say that that is unquestionably the best sentence I have ever read.

Give me one good example of a machine that isn't a robot. Think about it for a while before you answer. I'll give you one for free, so you have a basis to work off of: The Cotton Gin created by Eli Whitney.

The cotton gin was made to separates the seeds, seed hulls, and other small objects from the fibers of cotton, a job previously done by human hands. Under your all-inclusive definition, that makes it a robot.

TVs aren't robots. They are just electronic devices.

They convey information in the same manner as humans (Gasp!). Same manner as stereos play human music. Your logic says they are robots. Even though they only do one thing.

A catapult is completely man-powered... not a robot.

Since when does "Doing a human task" have anything to do with power source? You specified nothing about that.

Remember the movie Short Circuit?

If that's where you're getting your robot info, this all suddenly makes perfect sense to me.

A pair of scissors are not a robot, but they are an example of a simple machine. They are not powered by electricity, or ion repulsion, or any other form of energy you can think of other than the force exerted through the muscles and tendons in your hands. You control how they cut. They aren't preprogrammed to know how to cut. They have no circuitry or central processing unit to perform a task on their own... and when I say on their own, I mean there is no way to input information into a pair of scissors, so they can perform the task of cutting for you.

They're doing a human job, which seems to be enough for you. I somehow doubt that any dictionary, yours or mine, says that robots require internal electronics or processing. Dictionary.com simply specified a "Command". Of course, commands require neither electronics nor programming. They can be verbal, turning a crack, pushing a button, pulling a lever, or moving your hands. The task and purpose still get fullfilled.

A robot is an electric or electronical machine that performs a task for you, based upon your input.

You're just making that up now. Especially compared with the previous
robot n. machine which works like a human being

I'd just like to add that "electronical" is a word which does not exist.

Genius is nothing more than a moniker society gives to people with an I.Q.

Genius (n) has multiple defitions. First and foremost, it means "Extraordinary intellectual and creative power." You are correct in asserting that it is a term used by the I.Q. test. However, the term "Genius" existed long before the I.Q. test existed. The I.Q. test merely adopted a pre-existing word to use in their rankings.

It is only a number, unfortunately, and means just as much as the grades you received in school... absolutely nothing

Spoken with all the gusto of one who didn't do so well in school. rolleyes.gif

Einstein was hardly a genius. His I.Q. number was sub-par to be given the term 'genius', yet we still think of him as such.

You may notice a few things from this link.

Firstly, since Einstein was born in 1879, it's unlikely that the test was popular enough for him to have taken it when he was in school.

Secondly, for the longest time, the test was featured solely in England and France. Whereas Einstein is from a little, nothing place you may know as "Germany".

Thirdly, given that the areas that the I.Q. test tests (mathematics, spatial reasoning, language) are the areas that Einstein excelled in, it's a reasonable bet that he would have done an astronomical job on it.

Lincoln never attended school because his family was dirt poor, and he became one of the most prominent leaders this nation has ever known

Uh, you're half right. His family was poor. But he still went to school, went to college, and became an affluent lawyer.

Darwin gives us a 'theory' of evolution, and people today try to teach this 'theory' as a part of civilized historical fact... what we can't grasp is that a theory is like asking the question: 'what if?'

I don't see anywhere here where it says that a theory means "What if". And moreover, you don't seem to realize that kids today hear the word theory and automatically assume "Oh, okay, it's not true then" because of that. Teachers can't teach evolution as fact and are in fact required to essentially have a disclaimer about the theory, thanks to the religious sects.

Keep in mind there is no such thing as 'double-jointed'

Uh, yeah, there is.

there is no such word in the English language as 'nauseous'.

As civilian number two said, there is a word. It exists. It's just usually used incorrectly. See here.

They are very contradictory, even to themselves. It reminds me of the Gen-Xer's in the 90's who wanted to be different, just like all the different people, who were different just like them. A conforming non-conformist, in other words. They used to claim to be individuals because they didn't want to be just like everyone else, but what they didn't realize is that they were turning into the same thing as everyone around them that also felt the same way.

You say that as though that's Socrates-esque wisdom instead of one of the most obvious nuggets of information availible. Why not just call people "lemmings" while you're at it?

Please, by all means, respond to my posts calling me blatantly stupid, idiotic, on drugs, or a 'douche'. I think they're hilarious. I laugh everytime I read them

Come now, is acting juvenile like that necessary?

This post has been edited by Harmonica: 05 April 2006 - 09:56 PM

#65 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 5 2006, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am being genuine... 'you kids' is referring to other users, Barend. I mean no offense to you, as I've said... you have a good head on your shoulders. All I'm saying is to use that intellect to the best of your ability. Don't let it go to waste. It doesn't matter if you claim to be a genius, or not. Genius is nothing more than a moniker society gives to people with an I.Q. higher than a certain number. It is only a number, unfortunately, and means just as much as the grades you received in school... absolutely nothing. Einstein was hardly a genius. His I.Q. number was sub-par to be given the term 'genius', yet we still think of him as such. Abraham Lincoln never attended school because his family was dirt poor, and he became one of the most prominent leaders this nation has ever known. Darwin gives us a 'theory' of evolution, and people today try to teach this 'theory' as a part of civilized historical fact... what we can't grasp is that a theory is like asking the question: 'what if?'.

As far as your thumb goes... what weird thing can you do with your thumb? Keep in mind there is no such thing as 'double-jointed'. For those that get sick at the sight of 'double-jointed' abilities, there is no such word in the English language as 'nauseous'. It is 'nauseated'. Barend, as a genius, surely you can appreciate the wisdom I am sharing. Otherwise, you are not a genius, and you have not found humility and enlightenment as of yet. If this is the case, do not be discouraged. I am not trying to be condescending, I am merely sharing knowledge that I have obtained through careful research and study. Don't take this as an insult to your intelligence. It is nothing more than constructive criticism based upon my knowledge. I am 31 years old, and I don't know everything... but I can admit it. I don't consider myself a genius. I'm horrible at math, but my talent lies within other sciences, and the arts. I don't claim to be smarter than anyone here, but I read some of these posts and I have to laugh at them. They are very contradictory, even to themselves. It reminds me of the Gen-Xer's in the 90's who wanted to be different, just like all the different people, who were different just like them. A conforming non-conformist, in other words. They used to claim to be individuals because they didn't want to be just like everyone else, but what they didn't realize is that they were turning into the same thing as everyone around them that also felt the same way.

I used to go to Denny's at 2 in the morning, and there would ALWAYS be a table full of goth kids smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee, and talking to each other about how void and meaningless existence is. It's been going on for years, Barend. I have nothing against goth kids. I know NIN isn't exactly a 'goth' band, but I like them for their music. You'll never believe where I saw them... sitting at Denny's at 2 in the morning, drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes, and... well, ok... I didn't catch what they were talking about, but I'm sure they were unwinding for a little after playing a show. Not that they were trying to be non-conformist because I'm sure they've grown out of that phase, but they were doing the typical 'goth' thing.

I'm not trying to offend anybody, but if I've stepped on anyone's toes, I'm sorry. Please, by all means, respond to my posts calling me blatantly stupid, idiotic, on drugs, or a 'douche'. I think they're hilarious. I laugh everytime I read them. I'm still in genuine mode, for those that think I'm being sarcastic. Keep those insults coming!

you've shared nothing new with me...

i've been harrasing the evolution crowd for quite a while for defending a 'theory' to the death...
i mean why do people who have failed to formulate their own theories cling so hard to someone elses theory and defend it like a religion...

and i'm at least glad you agree with me there.

i don't call my self a genius because of the three IQ test that have declared me one, (one even called me 'visionary'). i do it because compared to the average person on the street who barley registers above amoeba level of social evolution and struggles to come to grips with rudementary logic, i should be a god! and not just someone who plays 'god' on TV.

the only way people ever enjoy the illusion of defeating me in an argument (aside from Civ#2 who kicks much ass when it comes to common sense) is by;

1. in the physical world: talk louder over me, interupting and not allowing me to speak, walking away blocking their ears, or hanging up (if on the phone)

2. on the internet: patheticallty resorting to spellchecking my posts, choosing to repeat their statement ignoring its redundification by my point, flaming, misquoting.

i'm a genius because society in general fails to grasp the obvious, and they make the 'average' or 'median' if you will....

i don't need to be told to use my head, it's working fine.

the meaningless existence is for amatures... they have no idea.
but neitche was alright, but seriously... i hate the way people think because they've read him that they're brilliant...

form your own opinions people.... jeez...

This post has been edited by barend: 05 April 2006 - 11:07 PM

#66 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:27 AM

But seriously, who wants to be genius when you got enough problems in the process of trying to stay simple?

Edit for a horrificly simple spelling mistake. sad.gif

This post has been edited by diligent_d: 06 April 2006 - 12:30 AM

#67 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:43 AM

intelligence prevents happiness....

i think most people make a concious descision to be stupid.
and no, the philosophy that says they're the smart people for choosing is the work of ignorance.

#68 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:48 AM

Typical gusher, just like they turned "starpilot" into "podracer" they turn "robot" into "vibrating dildo" Hahahaha!!! This is the funniest shit I've ever read!

i'm a genius because society in general fails to grasp the obvious, and they make the 'average' or 'median' if you will....

Like they say in "The Incredibles" they find new ways to reward mediocrity (or even less).

As a quick note, I don't really think that people who claim to be "genius" to be geniuses. The true people that I admire are for the most part filled with an abundance of common sense.

This post has been edited by CowboyCurtis: 06 April 2006 - 07:59 AM

Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#69 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Apr 5 2006, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First of all, thems fightin words.

Easy... I have two cats. I've had other cats in the past as pets. They are stupid.

Secondly - I called you a douche all in good fun, but this is just infuriating. Don't talk down to me you silly fuck. I may be young but I am chock full of worldly experience and I aint afraid to use it.

And I didn't call you names... not that it hurts, but I didn't. I'm not talking down to you. I explained to you already that I am sharing my knowledge. That isn't talking down.

Thirdly, I am not offended.

Then why are you giving a rebuttal using the words: 'douche', or 'silly fuck'? If you're not offended, then why advocate animosity?

You raise the intelligence flag far more than anybody else here, so take a good look at your house's construction before you start chucking stones.

Hmmm... yep, seems good. Did I mention I wasn't calling anyone stupid? Maybe I should clarify. I DIDN'T SAY ANYBODY WAS STUPID. You can quote me. I said the same thing to you that I said to Barend: You've got a good head on your shoulders. That means I realize you have a fully-functioning brain, and you know how to use it. So, if you'd like me to call you unintelligent, I could, but I just don't think that would be too nice, would it? I'm not chucking stones, stepping on toes, talking down, etc., ok? It may have come off that way to some people, but Barend understands where I'm coming from... he's just as old as I am. I'm not calling younger people stupid. I'm saying they don't have the same life experiences as somebody mine or Barend's age. My girlfriend is 26, and believe me, it shows. It's amazing what a 4 year difference can make, when it comes to life experience. If I called you stupid, I would have to call my girlfriend stupid as well, and I'm not about to do that.

Not cool. Just because I dont consider my dishwasher and my dildo a robot doesnt mean I think I know more than everybody else. Your feeble attempts at condescension only further your image as a douche.

Jejef, you cant expect to have meaningful conversations with other human beings if you talk to them like they're little children.

I don't really have to reiterate that I didn't call you stupid, do I? I'm not being condescending. I just stated that in my last post. I am being completely 100% genuine. I'm not talking down to you, I'm sharing my knowledge. You don't think China developed their own nuclear weapons by accident, do you? No. America sold China nuclear weapons. By giving you tidbits of information I've obtained for over 3 decades, I'm not belittling you. I'm being nice enough to share with you what I have learned. I'm not selling anything, I'm giving it away... for *free. You have a choice. You can either use the information as you see fit, or you can choose to disregard the information as false, and leave it at that. We can always just keep going at it, but it gets tiresome, does it not? Obviously, you see error in my logic, and I see error in yours. If there is no middle ground, a war ensues. I don't want war. I only intend to state my point. You can toss my point out the window, if you want to, but why get offended by it? I see your point of view. I've already admitted that. I'm not going to change my knowledge to go hand in hand with somebody elses'. Please, if you're going to give me a rebuttal, try to refrain from calling me names, or using swear words to get your point across. You'll be surprised at how well your rebuttal is received.

*Sales tax may vary from state to state.

#70 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 5 2006, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you've shared nothing new with me...

i've been harrasing the evolution crowd for quite a while for defending a 'theory' to the death...
i mean why do people who have failed to formulate their own theories cling so hard to someone elses theory and defend it like a religion...

and i'm at least glad you agree with me there.

As I stated before, Barend. You have a good head on your shoulders.

I think people cling to theories because society has forgotten what a theory is: an educated guess. A hypothesis, if you will. I don't claim this as a fact, but that's my educated guess as to why the majority of society is uncapable of thinking on their own. Call it laziness, if you want, but I think it's due to an overabundancy of disregard for the truth. People want answers to life's questions, and they want them yesterday. They are impatient. They don't care if it's a lie... they just want an answer.

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 5 2006, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quite astute. I couldn't have said it better.

#71 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (CowboyCurtis @ Apr 6 2006, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a quick note, I don't really think that people who claim to be "genius" to be geniuses. The true people that I admire are for the most part filled with an abundance of common sense.

people with common sense are so far and few between, that when they pop up i lable them brilliant by default.

#72 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:27 PM

A theory is not an educated guess. Like you say, that's a hypothesis. A theory, like the Theory of Gravity, is a body of collected knowledge on a subject. You may be confusing "theory" with "theorem," but don't worry. Loads of people do it. The same folks who say "nauseous" when they mean "nauseated."

I don't mean to be a prat, but you really ought to stop trying to be dictionary man. In case you haven't picked this up in your three decades, plenty of dictionary definitions are substandard.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#73 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 6 2006, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Easy... I have two cats. I've had other cats in the past as pets. They are stupid.

This statement proves that you don’t have a clue what your talking about and makes all of your argument shereafter invalid.

And I didn't call you names... not that it hurts, but I didn't.

Well, you did call my cats stupid which is just as bad.

I'm not talking down to you. I explained to you already that I am sharing my knowledge. That isn't talking down.

Telling somebody that you are “sharing your life experience” with them is patronizing and is very uncoll.

Then why are you giving a rebuttal using the words: 'douche', or 'silly fuck'? If you're not offended, then why advocate animosity?

Because I’m a vulgar miscreant who finds words like ‘douche’ and ‘fuck’ to be of great value when conversing with my fellow human beings. That, and six years of military service has greatly stunted my vocabulary.

Oh and, I thought you were behaving like a silly fuck and a douche.

Hmmm... yep, seems good. Did I mention I wasn't calling anyone stupid?

…except cats.

Barend understands where I'm coming from...

I’m just taking a stab in the dark here, but I don’t think Barend is as fond of your tone as you might think. I’m not sure anybody is. Curious, do you talk to people in the real world like this, or do you reserve sharing your life experience with the unfortunate members of this forum alone?

I'm not going to change my knowledge to go hand in hand with somebody elses'.

Well if your not going to, what makes you think anybody else is?

Please, if you're going to give me a rebuttal, try to refrain from calling me names, or using swear words to get your point across. You'll be surprised at how well your rebuttal is received.

I am unable to comply.

...fuck.

#74 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 6 2006, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A theory is not an educated guess. Like you say, that's a hypothesis. A theory, like the Theory of Gravity, is a body of collected knowledge on a subject. You may be confusing "theory" with "theorem," but don't worry. Loads of people do it. The same folks who say "nauseous" when they mean "nauseated."

I don't mean to be a prat, but you really ought to stop trying to be dictionary man. In case you haven't picked this up in your three decades, plenty of dictionary definitions are substandard.

A theory, and I won't even use a dictionary on this one, is something that looks good on paper. It should work, according to general principles and practices... but it can't be proven as "fact". It is the same thing as a hypothesis, or an educated guess, which is a way of guessing something is true without proving it to be true. Theories are not fact until they are proven to be otherwise. Theorem is a theory dealing with mathematical equations. Hypothesis, theory, and theorem come from the same Greek origin. They all contain "the" from the Greek "theo", meaning the suggestion of something to be true without being proven... i.e.: theology. I'm not going to get into religious aspects, but theology is the study of the belief in God. I believe in God, but just because I do, it doesn't mean everybody else does. On paper it looks theoretically correct to me, but I can't prove it to someone who believes in some other theory, such as the Big Bang Theory. That's all I'm going to touch on religiously.

I stand corrected on the word 'nauseous'. Society has become so dumbed down, lazy, and accepting, that we have now included 'nauseous' into our own language as a 'real' word. That's terrific. I wonder what word is next... a'ight? Nawmean?

Three decades later, and all I have picked up on is the theory that people have become dependant upon using other peoples' opinions, instead of using their own. Then again... that may not be a theory, after all...

QUOTE (Barend @ Apr 5 2006, 9:57 PM)

#75 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Apr 7 2006, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This statement proves that you don’t have a clue what your talking about and makes all of your argument shereafter invalid.

Cats are stupid. That doesn't mean I don't like them as pets. They are self-maintaining... to an extent, but they are not on the same intellectual echelon as human beings.

Well, you did call my cats stupid which is just as bad.

Believe me... my cats are just as stupid as yours. So by generalizing cats as being stupid, I was referring to you? No... don't think so. Unless you're a cat, which I'm not buying.

Telling somebody that you are “sharing your life experience” with them is patronizing and is very uncoll.

Patronizing and un... what?!? Did you mean 'uncouth', or 'uncool', or both? So, if you had a friend that was older than you by... let's say 5 to 10 years... and they had 'been there' and 'done that', would you call them patronizing for teaching you what they had learned? I don't consider that patronizing. I consider it handing down knowledge. I guess some people don't like receiving knowledge. Sorry I even bothered.

Because I’m a vulgar miscreant who finds words like ‘douche’ and ‘fuck’ to be of great value when conversing with my fellow human beings. That, and six years of military service has greatly stunted my vocabulary.

Oh and, I thought you were behaving like a silly fuck and a douche.

Six years of military service and this is what we get? The military must have stopped producing soldiers, officers, and well adjusted people, and started cranking out vulgar miscreants who feel the need to drop the 'F' bomb to prove a point. Which branch did you serve? Did you rise above, or did you try to be all that you could be? Were you one of the few, or the proud? Wait a second... you were in the Navy, weren't you?

I’m just taking a stab in the dark here, but I don’t think Barend is as fond of your tone as you might think. I’m not sure anybody is. Curious, do you talk to people in the real world like this, or do you reserve sharing your life experience with the unfortunate members of this forum alone?

Stab away, but Barend isn't fond of my tone. He merely stated what I have been saying for years, now: Form your own opinions. I agree. That's not to say Barend is 'fond of my tone'. Yes, I do talk to people in the real world like this. Don't worry, you're not the only ones being blessed with my presence. I know it doesn't make it special for you anymore, but that's just the way it is.

Well if your not going to, what makes you think anybody else is?

I don't think anybody else is. I didn't say they were going to. I've already said to keep throwing insults at me all you want. I passed down my knowledge, and you can either accept it, or disregard it, but is there really any reason to get angry about it? That's the problem with theories. They aren't fact. That being said, why should I change my 'knowledge' based upon someone else's 'opinions'? That's all theories are: opinions. They have some truth, or general principles intertwined with them, but they are just wild stabs in the dark if they are not proven fact.

Barend agreed with theories as not being proven fact. I'm not saying we should all listen to Barend, but he is intelligent enough that everyone in the forums looks up to him. I see his intellect shine through in nearly every post he writes. Am I being patronizing? No. Was this statement condescending to Barend? Absolutely not. I commend Barend on his wit. He's a very intelligent person. Even his sarcasm is laced with intellectualism.

I am unable to comply.

...fuck.

Which makes you appear immature to me. Note: I did not say you were stupid. When somebody replies to my posts utilizing the F word, especially when insulting me, it makes that entire reply lose face value. I am trying my best to not be patronizing or condescending on this matter, but it is extremely difficult when I'm reading through a seemingly intelligent reply, and then I come to an expletive word being used to insult me. I think you're an intelligent person. I don't know you personally, but from the replies you've written, I'm picking up on your anger, and misdirection. I can also see a slight hint of immaturity. I can take insults. I can't take someone telling me to stop being condescending, and then they poke me in the eyes with the F word. It's like shopping for a new car. Here is this brand new pristine car (a post reply)... it's mint... virgin, if you will. You take it for a test drive (calling someone a douche), which makes it lose value. Cars lose value the second you drive them off the lot anyways, so it's not a big deal. You bring it back to the dealership with a scratch on the hood (dropping the F bomb), which you didn't notice, but still drops the value even further. You decide whether or not you want to buy the car.

I'm sorry, Abbey. I'm not buying that car. The hood's scratched.

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size