• Last »

Fly, R2, Fly

#46 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 3 2006, 12:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a calculator has a circuit board and performs far more complicated task. hooking a hose up to it doesn't make it a robot.

washing machines don't perform the tasks independantly, there's a dial on the front that clicks onto different stages of what is essentially one function. the washing machine is no more a robot than a fridge or a pair of scissors.

what the hell are they teaching kids in schools over there?

So, by saying since a calculator performs a far more complicated task than a dishwasher, neither one are robots?

Anyone ever see one of those Robosapiens? I know it's a crappy example of a robot, but it's a robot nonetheless. You have to give these Robosapiens information before they can perform a task. Remember the movie Short Circuit? INPUT. When you set the dial on a dishwasher and close the lock, you are inputting information into the dishwasher's circuitry. The information you give it when you set the dial determines how it does its task, or for how long. That's all you need to do to a dishwasher; it takes care of the work for you. A calculator works the same way. You input information with the number pads, and it calculates the information into a mathematical equation for you. In a refrigerator, there are many narrow pipes that are continuously fed freon gas, or the legal equivalent. This gas is fed by a compressor, which is powered by electricity. The fridge does a simple task of keeping your perishable food goods cold at a temperature that you input via the temperature control dial. The internal circuitry of the control dial is preprogrammed to perform the task of setting the temperature of the freon gas to whatever you wish.

A pair of scissors are not a robot, but they are an example of a simple machine. They are not powered by electricity, or ion repulsion, or any other form of energy you can think of other than the force exerted through the muscles and tendons in your hands. You control how they cut. They aren't preprogrammed to know how to cut. They have no circuitry or central processing unit to perform a task on their own... and when I say on their own, I mean there is no way to input information into a pair of scissors, so they can perform the task of cutting for you.

Calculators, dishwashers, and refrigerators are powered with electricity, either through AC (alternating current) from a wall outlet, or DC (direct current) via batteries. A calculator has a simple math processor built in to solve mathematical problems for you. Dishwashers are preprogrammed to do the task of washing dishes for you. Refrigerators are preprogrammed to keep your food cold for you. All three are robots. They are just as much robots, if not more, than a Robosapien that you can pick up at Radio Shack.

A robot is an electric or electronical machine that performs a task for you, based upon your input. Sorry, but a dildo falls under this category, also.

Despondent makes a good point. In SW they're not called robots, they're called droids... which is short for androids. This is where I'm gonna have to explain something. Androids and robots, while similiar, are different. ANDROID literally means 'something that looks like a human being'. ROBOT means 'something that performs a task like a human being'. Robots do not have to have physical human features, as long as they can perform the task they are given, whether it is preprogrammed, or programmed at the time of the task.

As far as what the hell are they teaching kids in school over here... I don't know. I graduated from high school 13 years ago and started wasting my money on a college degree shortly afterwards. I quit going because some of the professors didn't know the difference between 'shit' and 'shinola'. You know it's a bad omen when 26 different college students have to solve an algebraic equation on the chalkboard for the professor because she forgot how to do math........ EVERY DAY.

#47 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:33 PM

If robots need to behave like humans, then there are NO robots on the planet Earth at this time. "Robot" therefore refers to machines of science fiction, and the science of "robotics" is a joke and the nerds there ought to rename their creations.

According to a dictionary I found online, a robot is

1.A mechanical device that sometimes resembles a human and is capable of performing a variety of often complex human tasks on command or by being programmed in advance.

2. A machine or device that operates automatically or by remote control.

3. A person who works mechanically without original thought, especially one who responds automatically to the commands of others.

Human appearance, hands, thumbs, etc, should be required only of the robot subgroup "androids."

So the dishwasher for sure, due to its preprogrammed stages; Mars rovers absolutely; dildoes no. Without moving parts, a dildo is a stick. A vibrating dildo can make its own argument, but I'd say no to that as well, unless it has preprogrammed pahases, and doesn't just do the one task continuously until further input. In the latter case, it's the same as a desk lamp.

Are there remote controlled dildoes? Can they be operated from a central computer somewhere? If so I have an idea for a movie.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#48 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 3 2006, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If robots need to behave like humans, then there are NO robots on the planet Earth at this time. "Robot" therefore refers to machines of science fiction, and the science of "robotics" is a joke and the nerds there ought to rename their creations.

According to a dictionary I found online, a robot is

1.A mechanical device that sometimes resembles a human and is capable of performing a variety of often complex human tasks on command or by being programmed in advance.

2. A machine or device that operates automatically or by remote control.

3. A person who works mechanically without original thought, especially one who responds automatically to the commands of others.

Human appearance, hands, thumbs, etc, should be required only of the robot subgroup "androids."

So the dishwasher for sure, due to its preprogrammed stages; Mars rovers absolutely; dildoes no. Without moving parts, a dildo is a stick. A vibrating dildo can make its own argument, but I'd say no to that as well, unless it has preprogrammed pahases, and doesn't just do the one task continuously until further input. In the latter case, it's the same as a desk lamp.

Are there remote controlled dildoes? Can they be operated from a central computer somewhere? If so I have an idea for a movie.

What about a dildo that you can turn on and it vibrates, rotates along the shaft, and moves small beads around underneath the "skin"? A human can vibrate, rotate, and move beads around... doing it all at once would be a complex task, would it not? There are people that still find walking and chewing gum at the same time a difficult feat. You can command a dildo to do these tasks by turning the switch on... isn't that a form of a command? It doesn't have to be a verbal command, it can be a simple physical command in the case of flipping a switch. The dildo that is being referred to sounds like a machine or a device that can accomplish a string of complex tasks at the command of a human being because the tasks are pre-programmed into the circuitry of said dildo. Hmmm... that goes hand in hand with definition numero uno.

All of this debate aside... dildoes could be remote controlled... or for that matter, operated from a central computer somewhere. It wouldn't be that hard to rig it up if the dildo has circuitry already implanted underneath the covering. I'd say the movie idea's got the green light, civ.

#49 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:30 PM

jejejejejjfff?

as you're unable to grasp this rather simple notion, i'm going to officially give up on you...

explaining to you what most people (who are by nature majoritvely stupid) seem to be able to cope with is becoming frustrating and annoying...

please refrain from arguing with me in the future.

but for the record, a washing machine is a sprinkler and a 2 motion motor. it fills in for a human in much the same way a paperweight does.

This post has been edited by barend: 03 April 2006 - 08:31 PM

#50 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:45 PM

I replaced the motor on a washing machine once. Whaddya know? I'm a robotic scientist just like Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith.

edit: "Yippeee!"

This post has been edited by Despondent: 03 April 2006 - 10:02 PM

#51 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 3 2006, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
jejejejejjfff?

as you're unable to grasp this rather simple notion, i'm going to officially give up on you...

explaining to you what most people (who are by nature majoritvely stupid) seem to be able to cope with is becoming frustrating and annoying...

please refrain from arguing with me in the future.

but for the record, a washing machine is a sprinkler and a 2 motion motor. it fills in for a human in much the same way a paperweight does.

Ah, come on, Barend! You seem to be an intelligent person... can you not see the contradiction? You said it yourself... "it fills in for a human...". It fills in for a human means it takes the place of a human as an interim. That's precisely what a robot is by definition. A dishwasher washes the dishes for you, so you can sit back and relax because you didn't have to wash all those dishes by hand. The dishwasher does the task for you. That's what a robot does.

I agree, most people seem to be able to cope with things because they don't care how something works, as long as it works. As a society, we've become lazy and dumbed down to the point that we're letting the television babysit our kids for us. We eat fast food because we don't want to cook. We buy self-propelled lawn mowers so we don't have to push them. We buy hybrid cars because we've destroyed the quality of the air around us and because of the staggering cost of gasoline. We've punched a hole in the ozone layer because we liked using hair spray in the 80's. We forgot how to react at a 4-way stop, so we pull up to the stop sign and gawk at the other drivers. We don't know how to get a shuttle to travel to Mars because of a 16 oz. piece of space-age foam. So, yes, I agree. The majority of people are stupid. They are lazy, too, and it is the reason they are stupid... they are too lazy to think. I concur, Barend.

#52 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 3 2006, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, come on, Barend! You seem to be an intelligent person... can you not see the contradiction? You said it yourself... "it fills in for a human...". It fills in for a human means it takes the place of a human as an interim. That's precisely what a robot is by definition. A dishwasher washes the dishes for you, so you can sit back and relax because you didn't have to wash all those dishes by hand. The dishwasher does the task for you. That's what a robot does.

seem?

thankyou for that passive agressive attempt at condescention. laugh.gif

yes, i said it "it fills in for a human...". in likening it to a fucking rock or piece of petrified wood!

that's the worst attempt at using a quote against someone i've ever seen. how can you sit there (assuming you're not standing, lying down, or hang-gliding) and honestly expect me to take that seriously...?

blow up dolls fill in for people... would you call them a robot?
or a horse?

#53 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 3 2006, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Despondent makes a good point. In SW they're not called robots, they're called droids... which is short for androids. This is where I'm gonna have to explain something. Androids and robots, while similiar, are different. ANDROID literally means 'something that looks like a human being'. ROBOT means 'something that performs a task like a human being'. Robots do not have to have physical human features, as long as they can perform the task they are given, whether it is preprogrammed, or programmed at the time of the task.

R2D2 doesnt look anything like a human. I think they called him a droid too.

#54 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:08 AM

Jejef, you need to realize that human beings don’t always define things properly. The word gay used to mean happy - now it means I like boobs. As I have already pointed out with the dictionary’s definition of witchcraft and sorcery, the dictionary is not the end all be all of the way human beings define something. Most people don’t consider the dishwasher a robot. That’s would just be stupid, in my humble and uneducated opinion. My cat sometimes unrolls the toilet paper - a complex human task - and if I’m not mistaken, my cat has some sort of electrical current or something of that manner. So by the dictionary’s definition, he’s a robot?

Riiiiiiiiiight.

Jejef, you need to stop. Your being a douche. I’m not sure if that makes you a robot, but nevertheless, you should cease and desist.

#55 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Apr 4 2006, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jejef, you need to realize that human beings don’t always define things properly. The word gay used to mean happy - now it means I like boobs. As I have already pointed out with the dictionary’s definition of witchcraft and sorcery, the dictionary is not the end all be all of the way human beings define something. Most people don’t consider the dishwasher a robot. That’s would just be stupid, in my humble and uneducated opinion. My cat sometimes unrolls the toilet paper - a complex human task - and if I’m not mistaken, my cat has some sort of electrical current or something of that manner. So by the dictionary’s definition, he’s a robot?

Riiiiiiiiiight.

Jejef, you need to stop. Your being a douche. I’m not sure if that makes you a robot, but nevertheless, you should cease and desist.

Most people don't consider education as a means of seeking knowledge. That's would just be stupid, in my douche-ey and educated opinion. Your cat unrolls the toilet paper - A SIMPLE human task that any feline could do, they just don't have opposable thumbs to lift the lid on the toilet seat. You're not mistaken about cats containing a static electric charge. In fact, there is enough static electricity in about 75 cats to start a car. I must have forgot the part of the definition of 'robot' where LIVING BEINGS are ruled out. If your cat has cybernetic parts, then he is by definition, a 'cyborg', which is a cross-breeding of animal and machine, and another sub-genre of robotics. If your cat is just a plain, old, stupid cat... that's all it is.

You kids crack me up. You tell me I'm not using common sense, or that I'm being a douche, or that I'm on drugs, or whatever excuse you can think up to discredit the fact that someone besides you may be right. Don't worry, Abbey. You'll grow out of this phase sooner, or later. There really is no need to get offended, we all go through the same phase where we think we know more than everyone else... even if our knowledge is based on a 'humble and uneducated opinion'. I went through this same phase, myself. When I look back on that time in my life... I thought I knew everything I needed to know... and now I know that I didn't know jackshit. When you hit that point in life, you'll know it. I hope it happens sooner for you, rather than later. When you figure out that you were really fooling yourself into thinking you were smarter than you were, you will find humility and enlightenment. I am in no way calling you stupid, so please don't take it that way. I am saying that you have much to learn, young Padawan, but you're by no means stupid.

The same goes for Barend. When I said 'you seem to be intelligent', I truly meant it. I didn't mean to sound passive-aggressively condescending. If you took it that way, I'm sorry. I just meant that you have an intellectual mind. Don't waste it on contradicting yourself. You're smarter than that. Both of you. Whether or not a dictionary's definition is final, it is irrelevant. You both have good heads on your shoulders. Use them... for something other than a hatrack. I know you can do it. I'm not being condescending, I'm being truthful. You are intelligent beings, so let's put this contradictory nonsense aside and focus on using that full 10% of our brains, instead of just throwing an opinion out there and stating it is a fact. I'm sorry if I'm being a 'douche', I'm just trying to see if I can find logical, common sense people to interact with.

#56 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:19 PM

It's not you so much Jejef, it's the flag you bandy about.

innocent.gif

#57 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:24 PM

hey did anyone catch that rad movie The Star Wars or something and did you see that bit where that guy cut off the aliens arm in a bar with his LAZER WEAPON?

AWESOME!

#58 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:41 PM

Yeah. I can't wait for it to come to our theater. Everybody's talking about it! What's it like?

#59 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Apr 4 2006, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey did anyone catch that rad movie The Star Wars or something and did you see that bit where that guy cut off the aliens arm in a bar with his LAZER WEAPON?

AWESOME!

i fuckin love that movie... i hope they bring it out on DVD!!!

and jejejf

if you say you're being genuine, fine...

but understand that terms like 'you kids' is intentionally or not, still condescending.

just remember... i'm 30. I'm a genius. and not that it has any baring here, but i can do a really cool wierd thing with my thumb.

#60 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 5 2006, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i fuckin love that movie... i hope they bring it out on DVD!!!
and jejejf

if you say you're being genuine, fine...

but understand that terms like 'you kids' is intentionally or not, still condescending.

just remember... i'm 30. I'm a genius. and not that it has any baring here, but i can do a really cool wierd thing with my thumb.

I am being genuine... 'you kids' is referring to other users, Barend. I mean no offense to you, as I've said... you have a good head on your shoulders. All I'm saying is to use that intellect to the best of your ability. Don't let it go to waste. It doesn't matter if you claim to be a genius, or not. Genius is nothing more than a moniker society gives to people with an I.Q. higher than a certain number. It is only a number, unfortunately, and means just as much as the grades you received in school... absolutely nothing. Einstein was hardly a genius. His I.Q. number was sub-par to be given the term 'genius', yet we still think of him as such. Abraham Lincoln never attended school because his family was dirt poor, and he became one of the most prominent leaders this nation has ever known. Darwin gives us a 'theory' of evolution, and people today try to teach this 'theory' as a part of civilized historical fact... what we can't grasp is that a theory is like asking the question: 'what if?'.

As far as your thumb goes... what weird thing can you do with your thumb? Keep in mind there is no such thing as 'double-jointed'. For those that get sick at the sight of 'double-jointed' abilities, there is no such word in the English language as 'nauseous'. It is 'nauseated'. Barend, as a genius, surely you can appreciate the wisdom I am sharing. Otherwise, you are not a genius, and you have not found humility and enlightenment as of yet. If this is the case, do not be discouraged. I am not trying to be condescending, I am merely sharing knowledge that I have obtained through careful research and study. Don't take this as an insult to your intelligence. It is nothing more than constructive criticism based upon my knowledge. I am 31 years old, and I don't know everything... but I can admit it. I don't consider myself a genius. I'm horrible at math, but my talent lies within other sciences, and the arts. I don't claim to be smarter than anyone here, but I read some of these posts and I have to laugh at them. They are very contradictory, even to themselves. It reminds me of the Gen-Xer's in the 90's who wanted to be different, just like all the different people, who were different just like them. A conforming non-conformist, in other words. They used to claim to be individuals because they didn't want to be just like everyone else, but what they didn't realize is that they were turning into the same thing as everyone around them that also felt the same way.

I used to go to Denny's at 2 in the morning, and there would ALWAYS be a table full of goth kids smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee, and talking to each other about how void and meaningless existence is. It's been going on for years, Barend. I have nothing against goth kids. I know NIN isn't exactly a 'goth' band, but I like them for their music. You'll never believe where I saw them... sitting at Denny's at 2 in the morning, drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes, and... well, ok... I didn't catch what they were talking about, but I'm sure they were unwinding for a little after playing a show. Not that they were trying to be non-conformist because I'm sure they've grown out of that phase, but they were doing the typical 'goth' thing.

I'm not trying to offend anybody, but if I've stepped on anyone's toes, I'm sorry. Please, by all means, respond to my posts calling me blatantly stupid, idiotic, on drugs, or a 'douche'. I think they're hilarious. I laugh everytime I read them. I'm still in genuine mode, for those that think I'm being sarcastic. Keep those insults coming!

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size