• Last »

Fly, R2, Fly

#121 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 24 2006, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, you completely missed his point. Allow me to explain.

Point: Someone pointed out that R2 flying was stupid and used physics to back it up.
Point: Jariten pointed out many other things, all from the OT, that also defy physics, but which are not attacked by prequel haters.

Conclusion: Jariten hoped that readers would remember that STAR WARS is FICTION, and that their complaints have no basis, since they don't complain about the first three films (or at least, not as much as they do about the PT). If you buy the one bit, he says, you buy the whole thing. That is Jariten's argument.

When you tell Jariten that STAR WARS is fiction, and then proceed to dive in at him with various arguments to show that he shouldn't be concerned about hover technology, then you're showing him that you didn't get that that was his point all along. You see, there is no sense in using a guy's argument against him; it's a pretty clear indicator that you didn't understand him.

Example:

Safety inspector: "This lampshade is tested to 200 degrees, so it should be ok."

Customer: "200 degrees? So what; this lamp only gets up to about 160, tops!"

Another good example would be all that stuff above about Ion Repulsion to prove to Jariten that STAR WARS is make believe. cool.gif

All that stuff above about ion repulsion was not intended to prove to Jariten that Star Wars is make believe. It was intended to prove to Just another wretched fan that it was make believe.

So, again... I got Jariten's point, otherwise I wouldn't have broken it down to: Star Wars = make believe. I got Just another wretched fan's point as well... I just found it to be redundant. I don't care what kind of schooling in aeronautical engineering he's been through... Star Wars is still make believe.

Maybe Lucas should have put a disclaimer at the beginning of each film stating: This film is not proof that physics are non-existent "in a galaxy far, far away". This motion picture is fictional. Here at Lucasfilm, we realize there are laws of physics, which are applicable to everyday life here on Earth. However, since this film is classified as 'science fiction', there are some things "in a galaxy far, far away" that work on different principles, than they do in real life. If you accept this film as 'real life', you should be ashamed of yourself. What would your mother say?

Some things in Star Wars you can actually deem feasible. However, certain technologies, such as the 'lightsaber', 'repulsor-lift', and 'hyper-drives' are not. They are fictional technologies. There is no way to build an actual lightsaber in the manner in which they are portrayed in the films. You can make a 'laser sword', but the laser would be infinite, unless you discovered a way to regulate the length of the blade. Ion repulsion is still in the theoretical process. It is possible to ionize the particles in the atmosphere, but to produce ionized columns of air that are strong enough to provide 'lift' for a craft, is still a thing of the future. Hyper-drives don't exist. We don't know how they work, or we would have built one by now. NASA still has problems getting their shuttles off the ground. Light speed travel is in the distant future... if we ever invent such a technology. You can't accept the whole movie as a lesson in physics because it is fictional. There are small amounts of science in each film, but it is fictional, so you can't believe every little thing as either being possible, or impossible.

I agree with Jariten. It's all make believe. I wasn't arguing against his point. Please... if you're going to read my post at all, read it thoroughly. I did mention something about "aeronautical engineering school not teaching the laws of physics behind ion repulsion". Unless Jariten made an arguement based on having aeronautical engineering schooling, I wasn't arguing against his point.

#122 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 24 2006, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Jariten. It's all make believe. I wasn't arguing against his point. Please... if you're going to read my post at all, read it thoroughly.

Okay ... here is your ENTIRE reply to jariten:

(jariten @ Apr 17 2006, 11:18 PM)

Or a city in the clouds.

Or lightsabres.

Or lightspeed.

Or sound in space.

Or something with no means of propulsion travelling at light speed.

Or or or or or

--------

[your reply] :

To answer all of these questions:

TO MAKE YOU ASK QUESTIONS.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people. It's a sci-fi space opera. It is not REAL LIFE.

So, you were agreeing with jariten, then. Your reply was to reinforce his argument against another member. You weren't trying to show him that his stance was silly, that he shouldn't take STAR WARS so seriously; you were agreeing that others shouldn't take it so seriously. You understood that jariten knows better and you were not condescending to him at all.

Is that it?
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#123 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 24 2006, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have won nothing. It was not my intention to 'win' anything. I will not reconsider calling 30 million years of evolution stupid. I think evolution is stupid. It is a 'theory'. Cats are curious, hence they find amusement unrolling the toilet paper. They don't know what happens when the toilet paper runs out, so they try to find out... over and over again. As a human being, I know what happens when I unroll the toilet paper: A) A huge wad of wasted toilet paper is left on the ground. cool.gif There is a cardboard roll underneath all those layers of paper. C) Someone will question me as to why I took the liberty of unrolling the toilet paper... to which I can actually think of an answer, and explain it to them in brilliant technicolor detail. A cat knows one thing: A) Look at how this stuff comes down as I paw at it... oh, no! There's no more left! I'll just have to find something to do until that stupid human puts more of this stuff up there... maybe I'll just take a nap.

Here’s a few excerpts from a happy article about how stupid cats aren’t.

In a test of canine-versus-feline intelligence, Dr. Maier, professor of psychology at the University of Michigan and Dr. Schneirla, curator at the Dept. of Animal behavior, American Museum of Natural History, compared I.Q. as a function of memory in dogs and cats. Both species were shown a large number of boxes and taught that food could only be found under the one with a lighted lamp on top. Once the training was complete, researchers turned the lamp on briefly. Then to test the animal's memory, the researchers prevented them from going to the box for a period of time. Canine recall lasted no more than five minutes. Cats, however, returned to the correct box as long as 16 hours later, exhibiting a power of recall superior to that of monkeys and orangutans.

The cat's intellectual ability is highlighted by its ability to use the information retained to solve problems. Cats are able to form "learning sets," a skill once thought to be confined to primates. For example, cats that were trained to pull boxes on wheels showed they could combine that skill with their own insight to solve new problems. In one instance, a cat pulled the box to a specific location and used it, step-stool fashion, to reach a desired reward: a piece of food suspended from the ceiling by a string. The full extent of the cat's cognitive abilities is still largely unknown, but they continue to amaze their owners with their ingenious abilities, nevertheless.

Cats learn by observation, imitation, trial and error just as humans do. Stories abound which describe cats turning doorknobs to open doors, ringing doorbells, opening cupboards, turning off lights, and even using the toilet solely by observing the owner perform these activities. Many feline behaviorists as well as child psychologists seem to agree that the intelligence of an adult cat equals that of a 2 to 3 year old child. We know how clever and manipulative children of this age are, is it any wonder that cats are better at training their owners than the owners are at training them?

Heres the article...

Jejef is curious, hence he finds amusement continuing to call cats stupid. He doesnt know what happens when he keeps insulting Abbeys furry four legged children, so he tries to find out... over and over again. As a human being, I know what happens when Jejef keeps insulting my feline pals: A) A huge wad of wasted intellignece is left on the forums. cool.gif There are a bunch of people who have to sift through a plethora of off topic posts. C) Someone will question me as to why I took the liberty of continuing to converse with him... to which I can actually think of an answer, and explain it to them in brilliant technicolor detail. Jejef knows one thing: A) Look at how these letters on the screen form to make words which I can later look up in the dictionary... awesome! I'll just have to find something to do until that stupid human puts more of this stuff up there... maybe I'll just take a nap.

This post has been edited by Sailor Abbey: 25 April 2006 - 07:23 AM

#124 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:30 PM

jejef, Re: Cats.

Your argument in no way defined it self as being founded in an understanding of intelligence. It did open a clearer window into your cerebral interpretation of logic however...

A cat which has developed cross species communication no less than we have is stupid for failing to understand the propulsion system of a car therefore it is stupid according to you.
By this logic, a member of an African tribe in some area untouched by 'civilisation' and have had no interaction with the 'developed' world, is also "stupid" because they would not understand a great deal more than cats about our technology.

It seems your understating of intelligence revolves around opportunity and capacity.

A cat may operate on simpler level of survival that works on a primeval instinct and leisure, but I hardly think that justifies the term stupid. They are under informed on the complexities of another species' technology and social interactive routines, due to an incompatibility in communication and intellectual capacity. However they have shown, along with many other animals, a certain level of adaptability. A thing the human race prides itself on, despite the fact that we have only adapted to our own changes made to the world to reduce effort and thought.

Stupidity is operating well below ones capacity and proven ability.
Condemning a cat as stupid by such standards is by the far the least intelligent accusation imaginable.

This post has been edited by barend: 25 April 2006 - 09:34 PM

#125 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Apr 25 2006, 07:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here’s a few excerpts from a happy article about how stupid cats aren’t.

In a test of canine-versus-feline intelligence, Dr. Maier, professor of psychology at the University of Michigan and Dr. Schneirla, curator at the Dept. of Animal behavior, American Museum of Natural History, compared I.Q. as a function of memory in dogs and cats. Both species were shown a large number of boxes and taught that food could only be found under the one with a lighted lamp on top. Once the training was complete, researchers turned the lamp on briefly. Then to test the animal's memory, the researchers prevented them from going to the box for a period of time. Canine recall lasted no more than five minutes. Cats, however, returned to the correct box as long as 16 hours later, exhibiting a power of recall superior to that of monkeys and orangutans.

The cat's intellectual ability is highlighted by its ability to use the information retained to solve problems. Cats are able to form "learning sets," a skill once thought to be confined to primates. For example, cats that were trained to pull boxes on wheels showed they could combine that skill with their own insight to solve new problems. In one instance, a cat pulled the box to a specific location and used it, step-stool fashion, to reach a desired reward: a piece of food suspended from the ceiling by a string. The full extent of the cat's cognitive abilities is still largely unknown, but they continue to amaze their owners with their ingenious abilities, nevertheless.

Cats learn by observation, imitation, trial and error just as humans do. Stories abound which describe cats turning doorknobs to open doors, ringing doorbells, opening cupboards, turning off lights, and even using the toilet solely by observing the owner perform these activities. Many feline behaviorists as well as child psychologists seem to agree that the intelligence of an adult cat equals that of a 2 to 3 year old child. We know how clever and manipulative children of this age are, is it any wonder that cats are better at training their owners than the owners are at training them?

Heres the article...

Jejef is curious, hence he finds amusement continuing to call cats stupid. He doesnt know what happens when he keeps insulting Abbeys furry four legged children, so he tries to find out... over and over again. As a human being, I know what happens when Jejef keeps insulting my feline pals: A) A huge wad of wasted intellignece is left on the forums. cool.gif There are a bunch of people who have to sift through a plethora of off topic posts. C) Someone will question me as to why I took the liberty of continuing to converse with him... to which I can actually think of an answer, and explain it to them in brilliant technicolor detail. Jejef knows one thing: A) Look at how these letters on the screen form to make words which I can later look up in the dictionary... awesome! I'll just have to find something to do until that stupid human puts more of this stuff up there... maybe I'll just take a nap.

Abbey is curious, hence she finds amusement continuing to defend animals which have intelligence equal to that of a 2 to 3 year old child. She doesn't know what happens when she keeps trying to put the pussies on a pedestal, above all human logic, so she tries to find out... over and over again. As a human being, I know what happens when Abbey keeps insisting that felines are smarter than human beings: 1) A huge wad of brain cells die off in Jejef's head. 2) There are a bunch of people who have to sift through a plethora of off topic mind-numbing jibbery-droo to find out that, through some strange chain of unlikely, and improbable events, there is an alternate dimension, where Morris the cat, is believed to be the one supreme being that all humans "evolved" from. 3) Someone will insult Jejef, and question him as to why he even responds in the first place... to which he can actually think of an answer, and explain it to them in brilliant technicolor detail. They will all disregard his answer because it doesn't fit in with the sophomoric idealism of society. Abbey knows one thing: 1) Look at how this fluffy, white butt-wipe keeps flowing off of the wall to make a wad on the ground, which I can later use to take a nap on top of... meow! I'll just have to find something to do until Jejef makes another logical point for me to shoot down, for whatever reason... maybe I'll just spend a few minutes making sure my ass is licked clean... those humans are so stupid... wiping their butts clean with that paper... it's just so over-rated. Nothing beats the taste of cat fur served up with a dash of fecal matter.

I'm not a doctor, and I'm not conducting a study on the feline psyche, but it's common knowledge that a 2 or 3 year old child has enough mental capacity to understand, and utilize a vocabulary that contains more than a "meow". To say that a human is dumber than a feline is stupidity. Can a cat, which has the intellect of a 2 or 3 year old human, study quantum physics? Can they understand Latin? Can they invent a method of transportation that would render all petroleum fueled cars obsolete? I haven't seen a cat do anything other than what they are good at doing: Eat, sleep, and shit. We learn by observation, too. I observe my cats doing stupid things on a daily basis. By observing these things, do you think I would be able to teach my cats how to play violin?

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 25 2006, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It seems your understating of intelligence revolves around opportunity and capacity.

Wow! Thanks for summarizing it for me.

My cats read it, too. I am allowing my cats to type their interpretation:

hjfdsay]894ja
aa0fozbzjh ftaioupq; ita4tahjgja;a jaqw4ra890afart
a4t8ppoaq oitq8yqdf tr 8ta 4wq8uq3 oarjg8 IOAT E QO3
ARA ATUA ORAIJTEW509YOJ OFIO OI Ho a r0a4wftoaf iuoy
urt 89u audards iu arp a 498ya4huartu piu oar arty8a4t r t

As you can see, they understood it well enough to type a response. It's very poignant, especially Clarence's thoughts on antiretrobutiondisestablishmentism in today's society. He's such a smart kid! I think he's gonna be an ambassador to the U.N. someday! Or maybe President!

#126 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

Did you know Wald had a cat? Of course you didn't, it was on the bonus dvd.

Sorry, wrong thread.

Cats condescend. Dogs love without question. There are exeptions to everything and
R2D2 can fly.

#127 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 25 2006, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My cats read it, too. I am allowing my cats to type their interpretation:

hjfdsay]894ja
aa0fozbzjh ftaioupq; ita4tahjgja;a jaqw4ra890afart
a4t8ppoaq oitq8yqdf tr 8ta 4wq8uq3 oarjg8 IOAT E QO3
ARA ATUA ORAIJTEW509YOJ OFIO OI Ho a r0a4wftoaf iuoy
urt 89u audards iu arp a 498ya4huartu piu oar arty8a4t r t

As you can see, they understood it well enough to type a response. It's very poignant, especially Clarence's thoughts on antiretrobutiondisestablishmentism in today's society. He's such a smart kid! I think he's gonna be an ambassador to the U.N. someday! Or maybe President!

"As you can see, they understood it well enough to type a response."

yes... its too bad you didn't dry.gif

#128 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 25 2006, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Abbey is curious, hence she finds amusement continuing to defend animals which have intelligence equal to that of a 2 to 3 year old child. She doesn't know what happens when she keeps trying to put the pussies on a pedestal, above all human logic, so she tries to find out... over and over again. As a human being, I know what happens when Abbey keeps insisting that felines are smarter than human beings: 1) A huge wad of brain cells die off in Jejef's head. 2) There are a bunch of people who have to sift through a plethora of off topic mind-numbing jibbery-droo to find out that, through some strange chain of unlikely, and improbable events, there is an alternate dimension, where Morris the cat, is believed to be the one supreme being that all humans "evolved" from. 3) Someone will insult Jejef, and question him as to why he even responds in the first place... to which he can actually think of an answer, and explain it to them in brilliant technicolor detail. They will all disregard his answer because it doesn't fit in with the sophomoric idealism of society. Abbey knows one thing: 1) Look at how this fluffy, white butt-wipe keeps flowing off of the wall to make a wad on the ground, which I can later use to take a nap on top of... meow! I'll just have to find something to do until Jejef makes another logical point for me to shoot down, for whatever reason... maybe I'll just spend a few minutes making sure my ass is licked clean... those humans are so stupid... wiping their butts clean with that paper... it's just so over-rated. Nothing beats the taste of cat fur served up with a dash of fecal matter.

When I rewrote your paragraph it was mildly funny. For you to do it after me is just lame.

AND...

I didn’t say they were smarter than human beings. If I did, I was probably embellishing just to piss you off.

I'm not a doctor, and I'm not conducting a study on the feline psyche, but it's common knowledge that a 2 or 3 year old child has enough mental capacity to understand, and utilize a vocabulary that contains more than a "meow".

Cats have a bigger vocabulary than just “meow.” They communicate with a bunch of different noises. I think their problem in physiological as opposed to intelligence related. If they had the same capacity as a human they might be able to communicate in the same way as a two or three year old human. I cant say for sure, but I don’t see why not.

Can a cat, which has the intellect of a 2 or 3 year old human, study quantum physics? Can they understand Latin? Can they invent a method of transportation that would render all petroleum fueled cars obsolete?

Cats do what they are supposed to… survive. They use their intelligence to do what nature has engineered them for. They don’t have any need to study science or find alternative fuels to be successful. It doesn’t make them stupid because they havent developed a need for technology yet.

I haven't seen a cat do anything other than what they are good at doing: Eat, sleep, and shit. We learn by observation, too. I observe my cats doing stupid things on a daily basis. By observing these things, do you think I would be able to teach my cats how to play violin?

I have observed more human beings doing stupid things than any animal I know of. Ok except for my stupid Boxer. Hes definitely a dimwit.

Well, Jejef… your personal observations have led you to believe cats are stupid. People who go to school for years to become biologists, zoologist, psychologists, paleontologists, and all other manners of ists, have concluded otherwise from years of scientific research. But… if you say they’re stupid… they must be.

… ever think maybe its just your cats that are little retards?

#129 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Apr 26 2006, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I rewrote your paragraph it was mildly funny. For you to do it after me is just lame.

AND...

I didn’t say they were smarter than human beings. If I did, I was probably embellishing just to piss you off.
Cats have a bigger vocabulary than just “meow.” They communicate with a bunch of different noises. I think their problem in physiological as opposed to intelligence related. If they had the same capacity as a human they might be able to communicate in the same way as a two or three year old human. I cant say for sure, but I don’t see why not.
Cats do what they are supposed to… survive. They use their intelligence to do what nature has engineered them for. They don’t have any need to study science or find alternative fuels to be successful. It doesn’t make them stupid because they havent developed a need for technology yet.
I have observed more human beings doing stupid things than any animal I know of. Ok except for my stupid Boxer. Hes definitely a dimwit.
Well, Jejef… your personal observations have led you to believe cats are stupid. People who go to school for years to become biologists, zoologist, psychologists, paleontologists, and all other manners of ists, have concluded otherwise from years of scientific research. But… if you say they’re stupid… they must be.
… ever think maybe its just your cats that are little retards?

When you wrote the paragraph mimicking mine, it was mildly funny. I'm sure you got a hell of a chuckle out of it. When I wrote the paragraph mimicking yours, I didn't intend for it to be funny. I intended for it to be a recap of the ideology you've been using to "embellish", in an attempt to piss me off.

I'm still not pissed off.

In fact, I'm still in a pretty good mood, but I am somewhat bewildered if you still don't think cats are lower on the intellectual chain than human beings.

So, you believe people who go to school for years to become biologists, zoologists, psychologists, paleontologists, and all other manners of 'ists', who have concluded cats are not stupid from years of scientific research... are not as smart as an animal with the same intellectual capacity as a 2 or 3 year old child? This leads me to believe you think cats are far more intelligent than a man with a PhD, who has studied animal behavior. Don't misunderstand... I do think cats are smart in the aspects of survival, hunting, and letting me know when their food dish is less than completely full. Compared to human beings over the age of 3, they are not as intelligent. The study speaks for itself. Besides, they were comparing felines to canines... not felines to humans. The difference is right there in the study. Human beings were conducting a study to see just how 'smart' felines are, compared to canines.

I believe Despondent said it best:

"Cats condescend. Dogs love without question. There are exceptions to everything and
R2D2 can fly."

Cats do condescend. My cats "meow" at me if I'm not showing them enough attention. Cats are possessive. They think the humans that own them as pets are their pets. If my cats could speak, they would tell me this: "Pet me. I need food. I need my litter box cleaned. I'll go take a nap."

Dogs are very loyal. They aren't called 'man's best friend' for no reason. They will do whatever it takes to earn your love. You want them to play dead, roll over, beg, shake hands... they'll do it, just to show you they obey.

Of course, R2D2 doesn't fly, though. He "hovers".

... and yes... sometimes I do think maybe my cats are a little "Deedeedee". Sometimes, they act like 'Stewart' off of MadTV: "Look what I can do!" as they stick their butts in my face.

#130 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 26 2006, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you wrote the paragraph mimicking mine, it was mildly funny. I'm sure you got a hell of a chuckle out of it. When I wrote the paragraph mimicking yours, I didn't intend for it to be funny. I intended for it to be a recap of the ideology you've been using to "embellish", in an attempt to piss me off.

I'm still not pissed off.

In fact, I'm still in a pretty good mood, but I am somewhat bewildered if you still don't think cats are lower on the intellectual chain than human beings.

I wasn't embellishing to piss you off - I said, if I had said cats were smarter than humans it was probably only to piss you off. But I still don't recall doing so. Please show me where I said that, I cant seem to find it. If you cant provide me with a good quote, please take the opportunity to stop putting words in my mouth just to further your ridiculous argument. Cats are NOT smarter than humans. Cats ARE very intelligent animals. They are NOT stupid. Your argument for cats being stupid IS stupid.

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 26 2006, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cats do condescend. My cats "meow" at me if I'm not showing them enough attention. Cats are possessive. They think the humans that own them as pets are their pets. If my cats could speak, they would tell me this: "Pet me. I need food. I need my litter box cleaned. I'll go take a nap."

Dogs are very loyal. They aren't called 'man's best friend' for no reason. They will do whatever it takes to earn your love. You want them to play dead, roll over, beg, shake hands... they'll do it, just to show you they obey.

My cats are very affectionate and don't act like the spoiled little monsters like you are describing. They can do any tricks my dogs can do (with the exception of pull the sled - but rest assured when I can find a harness small enough I'll get some pictures), they go for walks with me out to the woods, just like my dogs, and they respond appropriately to commands (or suggestions rather) in English and Gaelic. Cats are more independent than dogs, but that doesn't mean they condescend. They are lovable little fuckers and you will cease and desist with your shit talking or I will be forced to take you to Chefelf Court.

This post has been edited by Sailor Abbey: 26 April 2006 - 06:13 PM

#131 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:55 PM

Jejejef...

cats are NOT on the same intellectual level as humans, and THAT is why we cannot condemn them as stupid.

how hard is that to understand.

It's like calling a rock a retard. No wonder you consider washing machines robots.

#132 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Apr 26 2006, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wasn't embellishing to piss you off - I said, if I had said cats were smarter than humans it was probably only to piss you off. But I still don't recall doing so. Please show me where I said that, I cant seem to find it. If you cant provide me with a good quote, please take the opportunity to stop putting words in my mouth just to further your ridiculous argument. Cats are NOT smarter than humans. Cats ARE very intelligent animals. They are NOT stupid. Your argument for cats being stupid IS stupid.
My cats are very affectionate and don't act like the spoiled little monsters like you are describing. They can do any tricks my dogs can do (with the exception of pull the sled - but rest assured when I can find a harness small enough I'll get some pictures), they go for walks with me out to the woods, just like my dogs, and they respond appropriately to commands (or suggestions rather) in English and Gaelic. Cats are more independent than dogs, but that doesn't mean they condescend. They are lovable little fuckers and you will cease and desist with your shit talking or I will be forced to take you to Chefelf Court.

I doesn't matter if you said cats were smarter than humans. You implied that cats were smarter than humans with your rants. You backed up your argument with a study on the difference between the intelligence of dogs and cats, and you then related it to how cats are intelligent compared to humans. In the study, it said that cats were just as intelligent as a 2 or 3 year old child. Did they also do a study on the intelligence of a 2 or 3 year old child?

You can keep trying to piss me off, if you wish, but it's not gonna happen. I didn't put words in your mouth. You took it upon yourself to correct my point. You blew it all out of proportion. My point, all along, was that cats are stupid compared to human beings. Stupid is one way of saying "not very intelligent". It is not their fault. They are less intelligent than, say, an orangutan. As humans, we are more intelligent than orangutans. When I say cats are stupid, they are "NOT very intelligent". You told me, "maybe your cats are retarded". When I said cats are stupid, where in that sentence did I use the word 'retarded'? Are you implying that I inferred that cats are retarded? I didn't say that. I don't think that. Are cats stupid compared to human beings? Yes. I will prove it to you.

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Apr 26 2006, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cats are NOT smarter than humans.

If cats have an intelligence that is not greater than human intelligence, it means their intelligence is less than, or equal to the intelligence of humans. If we are referring to an adult cat, and an adult human, then the cats' intelligence is less than a human's, due to the fact that the 'experts' agree that cats have the same intellectual prowess of a 2 or 3 year old. Compared to humans, cats are not very intelligent, which means, to a human, a cat is stupid.

I didn't say I hated cats, so if you are implying that you are wrong. Cats are smarter than dogs. Domestic cats are self-maintaining... to an extent. They are cleaner than dogs. Dogs will do anything for you just to gain a little attention. Cats make you work for their attention. They are condescending, almost to a fault. Nonetheless, I would still take a cat any day, over a dog. They are really good pets. My cats would disagree with me. If they could speak, they would tell you "I am a really good pet".

By calling cats "not very intelligent" compared to humans, I guess I am shit talking. Right? I love my cats. They're my children. They aren't human, but I love them as if they were. I wouldn't do anything to harm my cats, let alone any animal. If you still take this to mean I think cats are retarded, you're way off.

#133 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:53 PM

Why don't you guys take it inside- the Debate Club.

#134 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:34 AM

stupidity is the act of not meeting the quata expected of one's species as a result of slow learning, porr descisions, mental laziness, etc. Doing something 'stupid' is doing something that conflicts with one's better judgement.

operating below one's capacity.

Man, for all the greif everyone gives deepsycher...

i can't beleive i'm explaining this to you. you can't call a 'less developed' speicies stupid. it's a misapplication of standards.

cat's not being smarter than humans does not make them stupid.

it's like saying a calculator is stupid because you can't play Games on it like you can on pentium 5 PC.

you're whole argument is flawed by its very nature, and yet you choose to ignore the logic that is clearly presented to you and you have a brain that should be able to proccess that freely provided inormation.

There's a word for that....

QUOTE (Despondent @ Apr 26 2006, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why don't you guys take it inside- the Debate Club.

the debate club is for the discussion and debating of things upon which many factions differ...

not for explaining the painfully obvious to people who should know better.

#135 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:20 AM

I hate that R2 can fly.

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size