• +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fly, R2, Fly

#106 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (Just another wretched fan @ Apr 13 2006, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my beef with R2 flying is from a more aeronautical standpoint, its just not possible. (Aerospace engineering school ruined a lot of star wars for me, like I can't see how a TIE fighter or the Falcon can fly in atmosphere without airfoils. What generates the lift again? )

Let me get back on topic, Just look at the rockets fire and the body lift off the ground, It shouldn't happen like that, the force should just generate a moment about the center of mass and flip him on his head and push him along the ground face first. Yknow, kind of like what would happen if you duct tape a roman candle to a GI Joe...they don't fly....they just spin around on the ground in spirals.

Yeah, if you strap a big enough rocket to a GI Joe you'll lift it, but not a slow controlled flight like R2 in the factory.

Now, i'll submit this post and wait for someone to rebut with anti-gravity.

i agree...

it would take a shit load of counter weight in his bottom plate/panel and powerful rockets just to give enoug of a boost to saftley jump...

but fly, you're right... it's bullshit...

but not as bullshit as lava surfing.

#107 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 17 2006, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i agree...

it would take a shit load of counter weight in his bottom plate/panel and powerful rockets just to give enoug of a boost to saftley jump...

but fly, you're right... it's bullshit...

but not as bullshit as lava surfing...

Or a city in the clouds.

Or lightsabres.

Or lightspeed.

Or sound in space.

Or something with no means of propulsion travelling at light speed.

Or or or or or

#108 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:31 PM

Don't worry Jariten, you'll get your way when Artoo flies in the new OT. Hooray for consistency. Everybody Happy? smile.gif

#109 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:28 AM

I don't much care for Flying Artoo, but not because its physically impossible. If I can buy the Death Star I can buy anything.

#110 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Apr 18 2006, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't much care for Flying Artoo, but not because its physically impossible. If I can buy the Death Star I can buy anything.

I bought the DS the first couple of times
and asked my own pointed questions, the least weighty involved the bug people,
but by then they'd added hula hoops and the original DS wasn't for sale anymore

at any price.

#111 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Apr 17 2006, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or a city in the clouds.

Or lightsabres.

Or lightspeed.

Or sound in space.

Or or or or or

so why bother giving him rockets... he should be able to fly without them?

cloudcity was hover technology, lightabres are pure bullshit but they didn't open any new questions, there should be no sound in space but i'll be the first to admit that a space battle without sound would be boring to watch or have to be covered in a very different manner...

i mean they mention cloaking devices in ESB and we never get to see them in action, we're introduced to the red knights in ROTJ but we never see them in action, infact there are alot of really cool and nifty things we're told about and never get to see so excuse me if the continuity crushing site of R2D2 doesn't fit neatly in my back pocket...

#112 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Apr 17 2006, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or a city in the clouds.

Or lightsabres.

Or lightspeed.

Or sound in space.

Or or or or or

To answer all of these questions:

TO MAKE YOU ASK QUESTIONS.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people. It's a sci-fi space opera. It is not REAL LIFE.

#113 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:00 AM

I'm pretty sure you missed his point.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#114 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Apr 21 2006, 04:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure you missed his point.

Oh, no. I got his point. I just thought it was redundant. Allow me to reiterate.

According to the laws of aeronautical physics, it is impossible to make a flying craft... fly... without 'lift'. I understand that. Which is why, in the SW universe, a technology called 'ion repulsion' is applied, to create the lift those crafts need to stay airborne. While these movies are science fiction... they do have a miniscule amount of science to them. Ion repulsion is a method of drawing in only the atoms in the oxygen that are charged (-). The ionization process utilizes an electro-magnetic motor, which turns those (-) atoms into (+) atoms. The end result is a (+) charged column of air, much like a small tornado. It is this column of air that keeps the crafts airborne, providing a means of synthetic 'lift'.

It works on the same principles of having two (+) charged magnets repelling each other. This is called magnetic repulsion. When you magnetize something, it is given a (+) or (-) charge. Identical polarity provides repulsion. If you ionize oxygen, you are changing the atoms' polarity, thus creating 'ion repulsion'. When this form of technology is referred to in the EU, it is called 'repulsor-lift'.

Ever see one of those 'Oreck air purifiers' work? It's the same principle. The 'air purifier' takes in oxygen, then reverses the polarity through ionization. The air is filtered as it passes through the purifier, and it is forced out into the room in columns of ionized air. They don't teach this in aeronautical engineering school.

I got the point, civ. Once again, Star Wars is FICTIONAL. It is make believe, and you either love it, or hate it. I didn't think Tomb Raider was that great because of the manner in which Lara Croft fires a PAIR of Israeli made Desert Eagles, with little or no recoil. Ever fired a Desert Eagle? If you haven't, they have a KICK to them. I'm not incredibly strong, but I can handle firing most handguns with one hand... not a DE. It's a very powerful handgun. Like I said, you either love Star Wars, or you hate it... either way, it's all make believe.

#115 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 21 2006, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like I said, you either love Star Wars, or you hate it... either way, it's all make believe.
Close. You either love SW, or you Loved it (past tense). smile.gif

#116 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 7 2006, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cats are stupid. but they are not on the same intellectual echelon as human beings.
Believe me... my cats are just as stupid as yours. So by generalizing cats as being stupid, I was referring to you? No... don't think so. Unless you're a cat, which I'm not buying.
Patronizing and un... what?!? Did you mean 'uncouth', or 'uncool', or both? So, if you had a friend that was older than you by... let's say 5 to 10 years... and they had 'been there' and 'done that', would you call them patronizing for teaching you what they had learned? Six years of military service and this is what we get? The military must have stopped producing soldiers, officers, and well adjusted people, and started cranking out vulgar miscreants who feel the need to drop the 'F' bomb to prove a point. Which branch did you serve? Did you rise above, or did you try to be all that you could be? Were you one of the few, or the proud? Wait a second... you were in the Navy, weren't you?
Which makes you appear immature to me. Note: I did not say you were stupid. When somebody replies to my posts utilizing the F word, especially when insulting me, it makes that entire reply lose face value. I am trying my best to not be patronizing or condescending on this matter, but it is extremely difficult when I'm reading through a seemingly intelligent reply, and then I come to an expletive word being used to insult me. I think you're an intelligent person. I don't know you personally, but from the replies you've written, I'm picking up on your anger, and misdirection. I can also see a slight hint of immaturity. I can take insults. I can't take someone telling me to stop being condescending, and then they poke me in the eyes with the F word. It's like shopping for a new car. Here is this brand new pristine car (a post reply)... it's mint... virgin, if you will. You take it for a test drive (calling someone a douche), which makes it lose value. Cars lose value the second you drive them off the lot anyways, so it's not a big deal. You bring it back to the dealership with a scratch on the hood (dropping the F bomb), which you didn't notice, but still drops the value even further. You decide whether or not you want to buy the car.

*shakes head* I cant believe I let you get away with that tripe. Damned bloody internet. Guess its too late now.

You win this round, Jejef, but in the future I hope you will reconsider calling 30 million years of evolution stupid. Just because they are entertained by unrolling the toilet paper doesn’t mean they’re stupid.

#117 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 7 2006, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cats are stupid... they are not on the same intellectual echelon as human beings.

Cat's aren't stupid. they operate within the confines of their intellectual capacity.
Humans choose not to try. If they did, no one would ever que across an intersection.

#118 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Apr 21 2006, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, no. I got his point. I just thought it was redundant. Allow me to reiterate.

No, you completely missed his point. Allow me to explain.

Point: Someone pointed out that R2 flying was stupid and used physics to back it up.
Point: Jariten pointed out many other things, all from the OT, that also defy physics, but which are not attacked by prequel haters.

Conclusion: Jariten hoped that readers would remember that STAR WARS is FICTION, and that their complaints have no basis, since they don't complain about the first three films (or at least, not as much as they do about the PT). If you buy the one bit, he says, you buy the whole thing. That is Jariten's argument.

When you tell Jariten that STAR WARS is fiction, and then proceed to dive in at him with various arguments to show that he shouldn't be concerned about hover technology, then you're showing him that you didn't get that that was his point all along. You see, there is no sense in using a guy's argument against him; it's a pretty clear indicator that you didn't understand him.

Example:

Safety inspector: "This lampshade is tested to 200 degrees, so it should be ok."

Customer: "200 degrees? So what; this lamp only gets up to about 160, tops!"

Another good example would be all that stuff above about Ion Repulsion to prove to Jariten that STAR WARS is make believe. cool.gif
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#119 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Apr 22 2006, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*shakes head* I cant believe I let you get away with that tripe. Damned bloody internet. Guess its too late now.

You win this round, Jejef, but in the future I hope you will reconsider calling 30 million years of evolution stupid. Just because they are entertained by unrolling the toilet paper doesn’t mean they’re stupid.

I have won nothing. It was not my intention to 'win' anything. I will not reconsider calling 30 million years of evolution stupid. I think evolution is stupid. It is a 'theory'. Cats are curious, hence they find amusement unrolling the toilet paper. They don't know what happens when the toilet paper runs out, so they try to find out... over and over again. As a human being, I know what happens when I unroll the toilet paper: A) A huge wad of wasted toilet paper is left on the ground. cool.gif There is a cardboard roll underneath all those layers of paper. C) Someone will question me as to why I took the liberty of unrolling the toilet paper... to which I can actually think of an answer, and explain it to them in brilliant technicolor detail. A cat knows one thing: A) Look at how this stuff comes down as I paw at it... oh, no! There's no more left! I'll just have to find something to do until that stupid human puts more of this stuff up there... maybe I'll just take a nap.

I'm not saying I hate cats. I love them, just as much as any other animal on Earth. They are great pets. They take care of themselves... for the most part... and they are fun to have around. All I have to do is clean their litter box, and feed them. They do the rest. Dogs are a different story, but they are easier to train than cats.

#120 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Apr 23 2006, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cat's aren't stupid. they operate within the confines of their intellectual capacity.
Humans choose not to try. If they did, no one would ever que across an intersection.

Cats are stupid. Compared to humans, they are not very intelligent. I know what my cats are planning to do for the remainder of the day: Take a nap. Wake up. Eat something. Mash their faces up against a catnip bag. Take a nap. Wake up. Stare out the window. Play with one of their toys. Take a nap. Use the litter box. Eat something. Take a nap. Et cetera.

When I cross an intersection on foot, I know there may be cars to watch out for before they even show up. When a cat crosses an intersection, they know the other side of the road looks more interesting than the side they were on. They don't know what a car is. They don't have the slightest idea how a car works. They don't know the difference between Ford and GM. They don't know anything about octane ratings. They know nothing about batteries, alternators, spark plugs, fuel injection, tire pressure, ABS, transmissions (manual, or automatic), turbochargers, straight 6's, V-8's, dual overhead cams, air conditioning, radiators, heater cores, or any of the parts that allow an automobile to work. Their 'intellectual capacity' is incapable of knowing all of this information. You can trick the dumbest of humans into believing their car's 'blinker pump' is low on 'blinker fluid'. If you tell a cat the same thing, they'll stare at you blankly.

Cats are smarter than dogs, in some aspects, but in other ways, dogs are smarter than cats. Cats are on the same intellectual level as dogs. Can a cat or a dog fix your car's transmission? No. They only know they need to get to the other side of the road because it looks more interesting on the opposite side. They don't even know what a 'road' is. They don't know what purpose a 'road' serves. Humans do.

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size