Chefelf.com Night Life: Drugs and Healthcare - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Drugs and Healthcare

#16 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:36 PM

ahhh... the wonderful world of prescribtion subscription.

why cure something when you can have someone pay you every month for a bottle of pills or salve to make their horrible ailment just bareable...

i love they way headache pills are marketed... if something anyones you take one of these... ahhh... all better.

painkillers slow the immune system (as does sugar, so cut out that ice cream or lemonade crap when you're sick) which is why they want you take morphine junoir at the drop of a hat!

#17 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:44 PM

I don't take medicine when I don't have to - I even usually refrain from taking painkillers for a headache. Also, I hate that so many people are just being lazy and taking drugs for EVERYTHING, like being fat (diet pills) or lazy (ADD meds) or had a bad day (antidepressants). But when I had to have knee surgery because I couldn't get through a day of school without collapsing, and was missing school left and right because I couldn't walk, I was certainly happy to have some painkillers. And when my mother was going crazy, trying to kill herself, and neglecting my infant brother because of clinical depression, I was certainly grateful to Paxil for turning her into a normal person again. Also, I'm certainly glad that my little brother can take antibiotics to kill the infection when he gets strept throat, instead of dying because it just continues to thrive. There's a lot of corruption in the market of drugs and medicine, yes. But I don't think it would be very fair to yourself or your loved ones to refrain from taking something that will get you well instead of dead, when it's easy, known to cure, etc. Paying for some medicine to heal yourself and dealing with the constipation is a much better option than your family having to pay for your funeral and deal with you being gone, in my opinion.

This post has been edited by Spoon Poetic: 21 February 2006 - 06:45 PM

I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#18 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:03 PM

Yes I rather deal with colds without the use of drugs, the drugs that pretend to defeat the cold by my guess of weakening my nerves for a short time. I hear that sometimes the side effects are worse.

#19 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:11 PM

Ok, I was crabby this morning and perhaps I was a little harsh. I understand people wanting to live. I get that. I think its fine for somebody to take some motrin when they have cramps so they can go to work and feed their family. Or give their baby some of that pink stuff so they dont die. But there’s a difference between necessity and irresponsibility.

There are also other kinds of pain killers, natural remedies and different healing modalities that don’t involve poisoning yourself. But the AMA doesn’t make money off of those and people like being able to pawn their problems off on pills so they don’t have to actually have to be proactive.

Personally, I’d rather suffer through the pain than have that nasty shit in my body. It feels gross on many levels.

But I still don’t think I should have to pay for something I am completely against. Its like being forced to make a campaign donation for the democratic party, every year of my life until I die. WTF!

#20 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Feb 21 2006, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I still don’t think I should have to pay for something I am completely against.

I suppose that's how the pro-lifers feel about abortion clinics. Too bad. You're going to pay for the roads, the military, the police and the museums. You'll pay for socialized medicine and the FCC. If you don't like it, go into politics and change it. Or do what everyone else does: hate it and fork over the dough, complain to your friends, and then move on.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#21 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:48 AM

Barend: Sugar doesn't slow the immune system. It's the body's most fundamental fuel for aerobic respiration life processes. Where the hell did you hear that??

Civ: I must admit that I'm a little dissapointed at the lack of you actually debating. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Slade: 22 February 2006 - 01:49 AM

This space for rent. Inquire within.

#22 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:14 AM

Why does an abortion require a clinic? You can do them at home. An entire clinic? It could be done at any clinic.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 22 February 2006 - 02:15 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#23 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:09 AM

Could be to help reduce infections (in operations) and also for the right equipment on demand but unfortunately the opposite way round in some places.

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 22 February 2006 - 07:13 AM

#24 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Feb 22 2006, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or do what everyone else does: hate it and fork over the dough, complain to your friends, and then move on.

Thats the plan! thumbsup.gif

#25 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ Feb 22 2006, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Barend: Sugar doesn't slow the immune system. It's the body's most fundamental fuel for aerobic respiration life processes. Where the hell did you hear that??

Civ: I must admit that I'm a little dissapointed at the lack of you actually debating. tongue.gif

natural sugar is good for you, at least on the energy front...

nothing refined is good (except me).

refined sugar gives you like 30 minutes of energy and drains the fuck out of your natural resources.
it most certainly lowers your tolerance and resistance. the body may like it before a workout, but alcohol is also a 'prefered fuel source' but what happens when you drink enough of that...
you may not notice the down side of refined sugar but how did you feel the last time you spent the day eating nothing but sweets...

and refined salt is poison... eat a bag of it and see how you feel (you'll be dead, so don't)

the body can run on alot of things but without nutrition it will toll the body. it's a medical fact, i got my information from someone in the medical profession.

painkillers are stupid... 70% of the time, a glass of water and some patience is the best cure for a headache, 29% is because you hit your head, and 1% you have a tumor or something...
(estamistics are not tapered to migrane sufferes)

#26 User is offline   Slade Icon

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

Inductive logic is spotty as best, and leaves you no where closer to proving anything than when you started. Alcohol isn't prefered because it's a poison that dissolves lipids and can't be fully mestaticised by the body either.

#27 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:50 PM

first of all...

alcohol is the purest fuel source there is... it's not good for you, but according to the personl fitness instructor course it is called a 'prefered fuel source'

mostly in relation to the fact that if you consume both food and alcohol, your body will store the food as fat and dance off the alcohol...

i'll wager its half the reason people get into fights when they're drunk...
because society has a tradition of taking the stuff sitting down, and aside from obvious break down in normal biofuntionalityi think you'll find its because people are sitting on too much fuel...

alcohol provides energy.

all my information is from conversations with doctors, physiotherapists, and a personal trainer (a friend, i can't actually afford one).

the only thing likley to be spotty is the cumpolsive need for people to disagree with me, especially when they live in the least healthy country in the world. (helathy as in fittness... not catching bullets or toxic waste... although....)

#28 User is offline   Slade Icon

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:40 AM

The excess energy your body doesn't need that is obtained through breaking down ethanol is converted into fat just like every other compound that we digest.

Glucose is a bit more pure, as it's universal and crucial to aerobic respiration, and doesn't tend to naturally break down into more potent toxins in the body.

Why am I even having this argument? tongue.gif

#29 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:58 PM

i don't know... all i was saying is that sugar lowers your resistance...

One of sugar's major drawbacks is that it raises the insulin level, which inhibits the release of growth hormones, which in turn depresses the immune system. This is not something you want to take place if you want to avoid disease.

An influx of sugar into the bloodstream upsets the body's blood-sugar balance, triggering the release of insulin, which the body uses to keep blood-sugar at a constant and safe level. Insulin also promotes the storage of fat, so that when you eat sweets high in sugar, you're making way for rapid weight gain and elevated triglyceride levels, both of which have been linked to cardiovascular disease. Complex carbohydrates tend to be absorbed more slowly, lessening the impact on blood-sugar levels.

Sugar depresses the immune system.
We have known this for decades. It was only in the 1970's that researchers found out that vitamin C was needed by white blood cells so that they could phagocytize viruses and bacteria. White blood cells require a 50 times higher concentration inside the cell as outside so they have to accumulate vitamin C.

There is something called a "phagocytic index" which tells you how rapidly a particular macrophage or lymphocyte can gobble up a virus, bacteria, or cancer cell. It was in the 1970's that Linus Pauling realized that white blood cells need a high dose of vitamin C and that is when he came up with his theory that you need high doses of vitamin C to combat the common cold.

We know that glucose and vitamin C have similar chemical structures, so what happens when the sugar levels go up? They compete for one another upon entering the cells. And the thing that mediates the entry of glucose into the cells is the same thing that mediates the entry of vitamin C into the cells. If there is more glucose around, there is going to be less vitamin C allowed into the cell. It doesn't take much: a blood sugar value of 120 reduces the phagocytic index by 75%. So when you eat sugar, think of your immune system slowing down to a crawl.

http://www.healingda...-diet/sugar.htm

#30 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:34 AM

Oh, snap!

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size