Chefelf.com Night Life: ROTS shut out of any Oscar nominations - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

ROTS shut out of any Oscar nominations

#1 User is offline   sargon1955 Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:10 PM

Even for special FX. So much for what Lucas' peers think of him...

This post has been edited by sargon1955: 31 January 2006 - 08:11 PM

#2 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (sargon1955 @ Jan 31 2006, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even for special FX. So much for what Lucas' peers think of him...

I seem to recall the Phantom Menace didn't get any Oscar nods back in 1999; that was all The Matrix. I can't recall AOTC getting any awards, except maybe a few Razzies.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#3 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:10 PM

the reason movies like shrek and the incredibles get nominated is because PIXAR at least have the decency to put enough entertaining material for adults in their films. If George Lucas did the same, maybe someone old enough to nominate a film might sit through it. wink.gif

This post has been edited by barend: 31 January 2006 - 10:10 PM

#4 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:10 PM

The Oscar's lost all my respect when "The Aviator" won a bunch of awards it did not deserve.

This post has been edited by Storm: 31 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

#5 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:38 PM

It did get an oscar nod though.

not for sound,

not for SFX.

not for score, but for

Makeup.

And not in the screenwriting kind.

#6 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:32 AM

Yes, but ROTS won a People's Choice Award, far more prestigeous than am Oscar because the people choose the winner!

I thought the nod was for best costume work. Nothing stellar about the film to warrant more nominations. Guess this shows Lucas doesn't have asmuch pull as he may think he has in Hollywood.

Poor Hayden!

#7 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:15 AM

The Peoples Choice Rules, yo!

2002 Best Movie:
Shrek beats out the Fast & The Furious!

A single and simple example of how effective the People's Choice Awards are at determining both the value and cultural wealth of films in todays society..........

#8 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:29 AM

So the Oscars are a good guideline of quality then?

How many did Titanic pick up?

Lucas' victory at the PDA's at least made me smile (if nothing more), because there were actual, real live people there doing the voting, not a small, faceless system bound by fashion and in-house politics.

whatever, all awards ceremonies suck, regardless.

#9 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:34 AM

I haven't had respect for the Oscars for a long time. ROTS being shunned has nothing to do with whether its good or not. The Academy has other things they want to deal with, and offering ROTS anything won't serve whatever it is they're aiming for.
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Darth Player @ Feb 1 2006, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but ROTS won a People's Choice Award, far more prestigeous than am Oscar because the people choose the winner!

the same way McDonalds is the most popular and succesful 'resteraunt' because the people choose it.

wink.gif

#11 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Feb 1 2006, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the same way McDonalds is the most popular and succesful 'resteraunt' because the people choose it.

wink.gif

Exactly. The CBC ran a program called "The Greatest Canadian," where they asked people to name who in all of Canada's history they thought was the "greatest." Totally open-ended, just like that. Well, some scientists, politicians and - sigh - hockey legends naturally made the list. What killed me was that the top 100 greatest Canadians of all time (by popular vote) included Avril Lavigne. Seriously. Sk8er Boy. Up there with Lester Pearson, John A McDonald and Alexander Graham Bell. Mitigating factor: the top *ten* included Don Cherry, a Torontonian who writes and delivers commentary on hockey games.

Popular vote = shit. As Chruchill famously grumped, "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#12 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Feb 1 2006, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wink.gif

Good people, I jest.....

I find it amazing that Temurra's soul sister, the girl who starred in Whale Rider, got whay could have just been a ceremonial nomination for her role whereas Hayden is destined for the direct-to-video fate.

#13 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Feb 1 2006, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly. The CBC ran a program called "The Greatest Canadian," where they asked people to name who in all of Canada's history they thought was the "greatest." Totally open-ended, just like that. Well, some scientists, politicians and - sigh - hockey legends naturally made the list. What killed me was that the top 100 greatest Canadians of all time (by popular vote) included Avril Lavigne. Seriously. Sk8er Boy. Up there with Lester Pearson, John A McDonald and Alexander Graham Bell. Mitigating factor: the top *ten* included Don Cherry, a Torontonian who writes and delivers commentary on hockey games.

i hate these polls... made by idiots, for idiots, with idiots.
putting the 'common' back in 'commoner'

...aside from the fact that there's no way that avril levigne (cuteness aside) deserves to be on the same list that, i can only assume, Wayne Gretzky was on (and no doubt at the top of).

ALL HAIL!

This post has been edited by barend: 02 February 2006 - 06:33 PM

#14 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:58 PM

Poor Hayden got a Razzie nomination for best Supporting Actor (sic!).

Oscar nominations got all serious this year, concentrating on BIG ISSUES of Racism, Gay Rights and What Not.

If any poll-award is remotely prestigious and to my taste it would be the British cinemagoers list (Empire magazine??? CAn't recall...) which voted ESB second greatest film of all time right next to Shawshank Redemption. Now did, Shawshank pull any Oscars?? I don't think so, neither was it a big box office hit, yet people remember this heart-wrenching film, and always will.

Whereas all prequels will simply fall into oblivion, irrespective of the amount of money they earned.

#15 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:04 PM

Popular vote = shit. As Chruchill famously grumped, "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

Churchill had so many awesome quotes. But the guy was all over the place.

I'm reading a book right now called Who Killed the Canadian Military? The author also wrote a book called "who Killed Canadian HIstory".

As it stands, recent polls have shown that most canadians don't even know who lester pearson was! Most people don't care about history, sad really.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size