Chefelf.com Night Life: Major Blunder - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Major Blunder ...Chewbacca never returned?

#16 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jan 31 2006, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They didn't tell threepio, ok? Same as in SW. No plot hole.

Gonk droids can be tortured to talk, and we see 3PO's willingness to surrender a time or two. It was just exposition to tell the kiddies: Remember Chewie and maybe Lando? Keep an eye open for them. Your daddy will nudge you when Lando raises his mask.

I agree. Threepio's a blabber-mouth. He'll tell you anything because he is scared of the consequences of not telling you. Why do you think they talked about wiping his memory at the end of ROTS? He knew Leia was a princess, but only because he was under the impression she was Bail Organa's real daughter. He didn't know any better. Protocol droids are known to crack under pressure. Astromechs do, too, but only if it involves keeping someone from dying. I suggest reading The Rise Of Darth Vader by James Luceno and The Han Solo Trilogy by A. C. Crispin. Those two books will explain 3PO's ignorance as well as an astromech's unwillingness to help unless threatened with a life or death situation, respectively. My point is this: They may have told 3PO that Chewie and Lando did not return as of yet in order to tell him a half truth... to throw Jabba or one of his minions off track. Artoo probably knows everything that's going to happen, but he is trustworthy enough that he won't go running his mouth in inappropriate situations. That's way he didn't get a memory wipe in ROTS.

#17 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:15 PM

I just want to pipe in that the whole memory-wipe thing is sloppy writing. A savvy self-aware robot would just routinely download his memory banks and keep them in a safety deposit box. Sure, he'd never remember where the box was or that he'd done it, but the bank would have instructions to send him an email every three months to remind him they were there.

I suspect Lucas thought the concept of memory wiping would clean up any plot inconsistencies in the trilogy. Unfortunately he seems to have forgoptten that there were humans around too, and whatever Yoda is, and their memories weren't wiped.

This post has been edited by civilian_number_two: 27 February 2006 - 02:15 PM

"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#18 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:36 PM

And the OT fans who needed a memory wipe as well, after seeing any of the PT.

#19 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:14 PM

I found c3p0 in revenge of the sith and the phantom menace to be quite enjoyable. i always crack up when c3p0 right out disses jar jar binks, and threepeeo isnt over done in RotS. his humor is very very subtle.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#20 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE (Revan-47 @ Feb 27 2006, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found c3p0 in revenge of the sith and the phantom menace to be quite enjoyable. i always crack up when c3p0 right out disses jar jar binks, and threepeeo isnt over done in RotS. his humor is very very subtle.

Maybe one day Massa George would allow Anthony Daniels to write a tell all book, or when Lucas "becomes one with the Force" Daniels will do it. In one interview I read with him, he didn't have a lot of kind words for Harrison Ford and said he and Mark Hammil became good friends on the set of SW. The stories I'm sure that guy has........

#21 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:59 PM

What exactly did he say about Harrison?

#22 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (diligent_d @ Mar 1 2006, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What exactly did he say about Harrison?

He said something along the lines of Mark Hammil being a good guy, being all friendly and cracking jokes (he picked Daniels up to drive to the location they were shooting in Tunesia every morning, so they had time to get one another) whereas when asked about Ford, he said some people weren't easy to work with or friendly or made life easy on the set and that's it. That's why I hope he does a 'tell all' book one day if circumstance permits, especially telling about the differences in filming and attitudes from doing the OT to the PT.

#23 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

"And I am C-3: P.O.'d!"

#24 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (Darth Player @ Mar 2 2006, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He said something along the lines of Mark Hammil being a good guy, being all friendly and cracking jokes (he picked Daniels up to drive to the location they were shooting in Tunesia every morning, so they had time to get one another) whereas when asked about Ford, he said some people weren't easy to work with or friendly or made life easy on the set and that's it. That's why I hope he does a 'tell all' book one day if circumstance permits, especially telling about the differences in filming and attitudes from doing the OT to the PT.

I can kinda see where Harrison Ford is coming from. Lucas didn't want to cast him as Han Solo, initially. If I was a budding actor in Hollywood, and the director I was used to working with opted to tell me that he was just going to use me to "read" the lines for the other actors/actresses, knowing full well I was to be replaced by a complete nobody, I'd be a pretty 3P.O.'d kinda guy, too. That's why there aren't too many interviews with Harrison Ford on the subject of SW, and plenty of Mark Hamill/Carrie Fisher/Mace Windu/Peter Mayhew/Ewan McGregor interviews.

#25 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Mar 5 2006, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I was a budding actor in Hollywood, and the director I was used to working with opted to tell me that he was just going to use me to "read" the lines for the other actors/actresses, knowing full well I was to be replaced by a complete nobody,

Nice parlay for Ford. Reminds me of how the black dancer guy in Fame got in the school.

#26 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jan 31 2006, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They didn't tell threepio, ok? Same as in SW. No plot hole.

4 months late with this, but you can't really be defending this script goof.

Mistakes do exist in the OT you know, it's OK to admit it. And it barely effects the film. I didn't even realise until it was pointed out here.

This isn't related to you so much, but I love how, to deflect attention away from obvious flaws in the films, people suddenly start bringing up the PT in an attempt to forget.

#27 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Apr 25 2006, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
4 months late with this, but you can't really be defending this script goof.

What script goof? Threepio is flabergasted by the rescue, which R2 is obviously in on, given the fact that the admittedly LAME rescue hinges on his ejecting the lightsaber at the precise arc and velocity required for any situation.

As I was saying, R2 was in on the rescue, and threepio was SURPRISED. Now unless they flushed his memory between V and VI, (and we know by his heroic tales to noble EWOKs that he wasn't) C-3PO NEVER KNEW the plot or fates of said Chewbacca and Lando.

If anything, I'm pointing out how stupid this OT film is, ok?
You will NOT find me making excuses for ROTJ, Understood?

#28 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Apr 25 2006, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What script goof? Threepio is flabergasted by the rescue, which R2 is obviously in on, given the fact that the admittedly LAME rescue hinges on his ejecting the lightsaber at the precise arc and velocity required for any situation.

As I was saying, R2 was in on the rescue, and threepio was SURPRISED. Now unless they flushed his memory between V and VI, (and we know by his heroic tales to noble EWOKs that he wasn't) C-3PO NEVER KNEW the plot or fates of said Chewbacca and Lando.

If anything, I'm pointing out how stupid this OT film is, ok?
You will NOT find me making excuses for ROTJ, Understood?

Completely understood.

wink.gif

#29 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (Travis Mays @ Jan 29 2006, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The opening of ROTJ has C3PO and R2D2 walking towards Jabba's palace when Threepio remarks that "Poor Lando Calrissean and Chewbacca never returned from this place." Yet later on, Leia shows up with Chewbacca in tow. What gives?

3PO's in the closet lifestyle has finally caused him to lose his mind. He even forgets Chewbacca's name later on, calling the furry creature "Chewbac." In the decadent atmosphere of Jabba's palalce, 3PO was finally able to live an open, albeit, unhealthy life as a droidosexual. Nevertheless, he became disillusioned with the "scene" after the muppet abode's relaxed sexual mores caused him to have an affair with a half tortured and virus ridden droid torso. After a brief stint of driodmydia, 3PO recovered and planned to profess his love for R2D2. No news on the relationship has come up.

This post has been edited by georgelucas4greedo: 06 June 2006 - 12:49 PM

It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

#30 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:17 PM

i haven't watched the OT for a while... but i thought C3P0(d) was refering to tatooine... as opposed to jaba's palace.

but i'll double check in september...

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size