• « First

KIng Kong

#46 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:45 AM

I saw it today.

The whole sequence before they reached the island seemed to go on forever. I sat there feeling like I was watching the DVD extended version.

For such an established director, its a shame that he resorts to amateurish tatics like slow motion to add weight to a scene (the same thing pissed me off in LOTR).

The love scenes were pat and predictable, and oddly (for a 3 hour film) undercooked.

It was basically a series of set pieces after that with padding inbetween. BUT! I think that all thats left of modern day cinema is the phrase "it wont look as good if you see it on DVD". So into that, Kong fits nicely.

Madam Corvex-
Its better than the last two LOTR films (which I was hugely dissapointed by too).
if you find yourself squirming in embarrasment at any scene between whats her face and kong, the next set piece will only be minutes away. i recommend just sitting tight and waiting for that.

And what time was that Broadway show supposed to have been on? 4 in the morning?!

so...on the whole, i'm glad I watched it. 3/4 of the fun will be lost on DVD.

This post has been edited by jariten: 05 January 2006 - 09:54 AM

#47 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:21 PM

wow, i really disagree with you on this stuff, (although it wont look as good on dvd) the love scenes were great, the beginning was great buildup, and slow motion is really dramatic.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#48 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:41 PM

Just saw a behind the scenes segment/commercial on Kong and it did have me thinking of those lofty, thrilling moments. On the set, there was blue screen set up behind PLANTS. (No wonder the background was more seamless than other digital offerings. rolleyes.gif )

I just wish it had been a little briefer. I suppose we all have favorite scenes, and odds are, they're all long scenes. (Funny how brief the presentation scene was. I really expected a bigger buildup. A friend needed to go use the bathroom and barely made it back in time.)

Still, there's a death star payoff towards the end. I suppose that's reason to go again.

This post has been edited by Despondent: 06 January 2006 - 10:42 PM

#49 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

It didn't feel like a 3 hour movie to me. I rather enjoyed it. I took my 6 year old to see it, and she's a very antsy, easily distracted little girl, but she sat through the whole movie, enrapted!

I do agree about the slo-mo. It was very unnecessary, especially when Ann is looking at them ready to trap KK. A few quick looks, and one would've easily got the message. Totally unnecessary. I was unbothered by the slo-mo in LOTR series.
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#50 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:05 AM

So you would you define this film as a "flop" or a "mild/modest success"?
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#51 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:34 AM

Most people I've asked described it as a "OMG THAT WAS AWESOME!"
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#52 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ Feb 4 2006, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you would you define this film as a "flop" or a "mild/modest success"?

With these details and currently being ranked 38 on the All Time Top Grossing Films list I'd say it's a moderate to good success. It's certainly not a flop.

Released in US December 14, 2005
Total US Gross $213,160,170
Production Budget $207,000,000
Worldwide Gross $529,660,170

It was well received by the world wide audience, just comparing the takings against it's production budget would be the only thing that suggests it didn't perform as well as it needed too.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#53 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:04 AM

Yeah, and it scooped some Oscar nominations, too, although in lesser cathegories like "special effects" and sound mixing. But I still don't feel any great desire to go and see it. I do feel guitly about it, but I would rather watch my "Pride and Prejudice" for the nth time, especially the moment when Matthew Mcfadyen is about to kiss Keira and never does...

#54 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (Supes @ Feb 4 2006, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With these details and currently being ranked 38 on the All Time Top Grossing Films list I'd say it's a moderate to good success. It's certainly not a flop.

Released in US December 14, 2005
Total US Gross $213,160,170
Production Budget $207,000,000
Worldwide Gross $529,660,170

It was well received by the world wide audience, just comparing the takings against it's production budget would be the only thing that suggests it didn't perform as well as it needed too.

I don't blame the movie for it not making as much as it could have. Seems like nobody wants to go to the movies now days. I know I sure as hell dont. Most of the movies that have come out recently have sucked! Maybe people are starting to lose faith in the film industry... being promised great films that dont live up to the hype. Maybe people are protesting in the best way they can... by not spending their money.

I still want to see King Kong if its still playing somewhere. I kinda just forgot about it. Maybe I'll go later today...

#55 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Feb 5 2006, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still want to see King Kong if its still playing somewhere. I kinda just forgot about it. Maybe I'll go later today...

Shit!... I forgot to go see it again. Maybe next weekend.

#56 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Feb 6 2006, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shit!... I forgot to go see it again. Maybe next weekend.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#57 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Jan 5 2006, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For such an established director, its a shame that he resorts to amateurish tatics like slow motion to add weight to a scene (the same thing pissed me off in LOTR).

that really pissed me off in ROTK... he did it twice. pipin with the palantir, and eowyn watching theoden getting thrown by the nazgul.

two engaging scenes ruined by tacky stylizing.

PJ has this amazing ability to whisk you off to a fantasy world without question, and in his last two films he's managed to snap me back to reality violenlty with this one thing.

i just can't stomach it... it totally kills the mood

other than that i love him.

#58 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:59 AM

My sentiments exactly. I remember how I was sitting at the movies waiting for the finale to finally come to an end.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#59 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:16 AM

I agree, but any minor flaws were forgivable considering how great the rest of the movie was. I would apply that to the fellowship and two towers as well. Excellent!

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size