Chefelf.com Night Life: Casting of the present Trilogy - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Casting of the present Trilogy

#1 Guest_Mike Mac From NYU_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 February 2004 - 02:08 AM

I know some of you guys are interesting in knowing how I would redo the the present trilogy. I will post my concept soon in a later post. For now, I want to discuss the casting of the original trilogy.

"Casting a movie is similar to creating a baseball team. You don't need the five greatest actors in the world, you just need an ensemble that fits the parts and can work together amongs themselves in the medium presented."

I am really split on the casting of the PT. Somed days I like it, other days I don't. I understand GL used the same procedure in casting this group as he did with the OT. But for some reason it doesn't work as well here as it did back then. Is it all because of the horrible script or the bad direction? Or is the casting really not that good. Let's see.

Ewan MacGregor as Obi-Wan: I first saw Ewan macGregor in the trainspotting movie and that he was brilliant. He had charisma, quirkiness and enough inner strength to be a leading man in Hollywood. His basic problem was his thick Scottish brogue, which he learned to suppress. Around the time trainspotting came out, rumors surrounding Episode I stated that Kenneth Branagh was considered for the role of Obi-Wan. Lucas vehemently denied this and then two years later Ewan MacGregor was named to play Obi-Wan.
The character of Obi-Wan requires an actor to match the great preformance set by the late Sir Alec Guiness. To MATVH it, not imitate it. You needed a youngish English actor who could be play the swash buckler, but also have that suprising maturity of an experienced Jedi knight {think Errol Flynn in Robin Hood}. In my opinion Kenneth Branagh would be perfect for this role, except for the fact that he is not young enough. This could be a small barrier that you could work around. In my opinion Kenneth Branaghs looks and acting style is the prototype for Obi-Wan Kenobi.
No we come to Ewan MacGregor. I gave Ewan the benefitof the doubt when it came to learning about his casting as Obi-Wan. I like othe people accepted Lucas judgement on Casting and believed it would work out brilliantly. Why didn't it?
Look at Ewan MacGregor's roles recently none of them are leading man action roles. Mostof them are actually roles where he plays unique offbeat characters.[ex. Big Fish, Moulin Rouge}. He is not an actor that exudes heroic emotion as easily as say Harrison Ford, Bogart, or Errol Flynn. He also can be stoic if not given good romantic or comedic opportunities. In short, I think Ewan does not project enough "swashbuckling" to be an effective Obi-Wan Kenobi. He just comes across as an English speaking actor playing a Jedi Knight.

[/B]Natalie Portman as Queen Amidala- For the record, I think Natalie is a very beautiful and wonderful actress. She was sensational in the Professional and Anywhere But Here. She has potential and an excellent career in front of her. Yet, she seems so friggin out of place in a Star Wars movie. Her preformance will always be compared to Carrie Fisher who did very well playing Princess Leia. Part of Natalie's problem is that her character is not well defined. Amidala's only role and purpose in Lucas script is to fall in love with Anakin and spawn Luke and Leia. Hence Natalie has to struggle to find her character's core. I guess my main problem with Natalie is that her character's speech seems so damn anachronistic. As Queen Amidala she sounds like she blends in the star Wars universe, but as Amidala she sounds like a toned down valley girl from L.A. Listen to hear lines as Padme when watching Episode I or II, it just sounds so un "Star Wars". Natalie also never really has any chemistry with anyone in the star Wars cast. Part of the reason is that she is way younger than the rest of her castmates, especially in Episode I. The only person she has chemistry with is Jake Lloyd. {Why not they are the only young, Gen-X non-English sounding people in the whole Episode I ensemble}. The last problem with Natalie is simply the fact that she was only cast because she looks a little like a Carrie Fisher. George Lucas needs to realize that it is okay if his characters don't look EXACTLY like their predecessors. I think we all could have benefitted by having Amidala look a lot less like Carrie Fisher. It would distinguish Amidala as a completely different character, not as the stereotypical Star Wars love interest.

[B]Hayden Christenson as Anakin
- If there was ever a character that needed to be cast properly, Anakin is it. There was a list as long as two blocks of potential actors to play this role. The criteria for Anakin in my opinion is this-- The actor must be able to visually look like someone that COULD become Darth Vader, the actor must be able to portray a heroic individual but at the same time show a facial look that lets you know there is a darkside to him just waiting to come out. You need a good actor to play this role. Unfortunatley these where George Lucas' criteria for Anakin:
1. Must look handsome enough to attract the female viewers, sort of an "N synce' clone
2. Must be blonde and look reasonably like Mark Hamill
3. Must be able to protray a spoiled kid that can give "Saved by the Bell' type teen angst.

Well if these are your criteria, Hayden Christenson fits the bill,! I am almost positive GL saw "My Life as a House" and realized that Hayden could fit the bill. Look at that movie and look at his performance in Episode II, they are identical in tone and character. Unfortunately, Hayden's performance is appropriate for "House", it is not appropriate for a Star Wars movie.

How would you guys recast these roles? Let me know. Later on I will let you guys know my dream casting? Please guys, think the way someone would in central casting. Think seriously and practically. Think the way you would if you were given a budget and had to make these movies?

#2 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 29 February 2004 - 03:54 AM

I would have cast Ewan MacGregor or Johnny Lee Miller as young Obi-Wan. Ewan is actually about the finest actor in the new trilogy. It's just that his part is terrible.

If I had bothered to create an Amidala character, I would have cast an unknown in the role, so as not to have to fight against type. Natalie Portman is ok, but nothing special (THE PROFESSIONAL, sorry, is a terrible and terribly silly movie). Her best move as an actress was turnig down the title role in LOLITA. If I had to go with a known actress, I would have aimed a little older. No reason the queen of a planet should be a teenager. Maybe Eliza Dushku. I think she could do a good job as an actress if she'd stop wearing all that black shit around her eyes. She certainly would have brought more fire (not to mention bigger breasts) to the role.

Young Anikin? Well, whichever guy I'd cast as Obi-Wan, I'd put the other guy as Anikin. So, going with Ewan for Obi-Wan, we have JLM as Anikin. I would never have allowed for the Jake Lloyd incarnation, since I think I'd have known what an embarrassing mess that was going to turn out to be.

Really, though, the dream casting game only works with things you thin are good. Like, "who would play Dr Manhattan in a film version of WATCHMEN?" Recasting a movie that would have been bad no matter who starred in it is a depressing game.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#3 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 29 February 2004 - 01:14 PM

I agree, McGregor's been one of the only bright spots of the trilogy, and I actually did think Neesen was pretty good, though his character was completely unnecessary. But I hate Portman, I don't care if the script sucks, good actors can come across better, and she didn't. Christensen had maybe one or two truly emotional lines, the rest were crap, but the same goes for him. But yeah, it is hard to get good casting if the rest of the movie sucks anyway.

#4 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 29 February 2004 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (Mike Mac From NYU @ Feb 29 2004, 02:08 AM)
3. Must be able to protray a spoiled kid that can give "Saved by the Bell' type teen angst.

thank for summing that up so beautifully. I've been trying so hard to adequatley articulate my feelings on that particular aspect of his performance.

you are a credit to your academic institute! (you tell them I said so).

#5 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 March 2004 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Feb 29 2004, 03:54 AM)
Really, though, the dream casting game only works with things you thin are good. Like, "who would play Dr Manhattan in a film version of WATCHMEN?" Recasting a movie that would have been bad no matter who starred in it is a depressing game.

Oh I would so love to see a film made of The Watchmen. Of couse Warner Bros wouldn't be able to decide on a script or director or writer and they'd have to revamp the characters to fit a modern image and then there's that depressing ending well that wont do for Hollywood.

On second though I hope WB never make this film. I'd be forced to go postal, I just know it!

I agree though Civilian it is a problem recasting a film that was written shit and directed shit and has no soul. To be honest I'd just be concentrating on what went wrong aside from the casting because (perhaps with the exception of Hayden) I feel that the cast presented could have done a sterling job with good material and good guidence.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#6 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:03 AM

I agree that MacGregor's performance is brilliant. Not only is he a great actor but he does a very good job at capturing the young Obi-Wan you would imagine when watching Alec Guinness.

Natalie Portman: not a great performance but having seen her in other movies I realize it's not her fault.

Hayden: again, a pretty lackluster performance but it's more to do with Lucas than him as an actor.

I don't know that I'd necessarily recast the roles. I'd rename the director, that's for sure. wink.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#7 User is offline   Esco Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:I love playing baseball, fishing, spending work day ripping on the SW prequels, hanging out with my wife, going to church, working out, writing music, producing music, watching movies, going for long walks (with wife), hanging out with friends.

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Feb 29 2004, 03:54 AM)
She certainly would have brought more fire (not to mention bigger breasts) to the role.

yeah, thats all SW needs. big boobs huh.gif

I can hear Lucas now: "there's still something missing
in Episode III, but I cant figure out what it is"
Rick McCallum: more boobs??
Lucas: more boobs.

This post has been edited by Esco: 03 March 2004 - 11:07 AM

#8 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Mar 3 2004, 11:03 AM)
I don't know that I'd necessarily recast the roles.  I'd rename the director, that's for sure. wink.gif

laugh.gif

In a world where anything is possible, I'd like Lucas to go (secretly if need be) into exile. Let somebody else, Mike from NYC for example, "ghost-direct" the thing. (writers and casting agents too- any task that carries Lucas fingerprints) They would do the work, but would go under the name "George Lucas" for sake of Mr. know-it-all/screw-it-all's ego. It would be like "second Isaiah" in the fact that the tone would change with someone else's style, but the work would carry on. They could begin with episode one or seven.

#9 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:44 AM

As i mentioned i am sort of on the fence when it comes to casting of the PT. When creating my redux of the PT, I started thinking that I would need to recast. Ewan macGregor could probably stay as Obi-Wan. But I do think that Amidala should be recast. I think a more better looking actress would help (not that Natalie is ugly or anything, quite the contrary) have no problem with bigger boobs on Amidala. I am s wink.gif

i was kind of hoping you guys could give me some examples of recasting, though. I still think recasting the trilogy would be neccesary even if you change the script and director. I just don't think the cast works well as an ensemble. As was the case with the OT.

As a tidbit what do you guys think of Jennifer Love Hewwitt as Queen Amidala. Not the best actress in the world, but she could pull of the preformance, in my opinion. i have weak spot for her by the way tongue.gif.

#10 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2004 - 01:26 PM

"
somebody else, Mike from NYC for example, "ghost-direct" the thing. (writers and casting"

I would be delighted. Can I use you as a reference, despondent biggrin.gif .

On a serious side, It amazes me that Lucas doesn't follow the same actions that other great directors like Spielberg and Cameron have done. Spielberg has used several people to direct and write his films while just having his name placed on the finish product. I remember "SpiderMan" was originally supposed to be a baby of James cameron. But he was not planning on writing it or directing it, he was going to hire others to preform those duties. Both Spielberg and Cameron understand the need for other people input and assistance on their projects. What's puzzling is that Lucas used that same concept in Empire Strikes back and Return of the jedi, both great films. He had Larry kasdan and others create the film and just took credit for the finished project. I think it is only arrogance on Lucas part as to why he decided to captain this ship all by himself.

My dream is that someday, when I am 60 or so (I am 26 now), i can buy the rights to the Star Wars franchise and create the PT the way i and the rest of you guys envision it. Hopefully all of you guys will be around rto see it. {I hope none of you are 60 years old sad.gif }

#11 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (Mike Mac from NYU @ Mar 3 2004, 11:44 AM)
As a tidbit what do you guys think of Jennifer Love Hewwitt as Queen Amidala. Not the best actress in the world, but she could pull of the preformance, in my opinion. i have weak spot for her by the way tongue.gif.

and she has a weak spot for tim-tams (only available in australia).

how about kiera knightly? yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:14 PM

Mike, you've got my vote. happy.gif

the only reason I've not chimed until late on this topic is I hardly feel qualified to cast the thing with the actors of the day. Let's face it, the big names you see all the time would just be wrong and I'm just not the filmgoer I ought to be.

so here is a totally worthless list of suggestions. (quick and dirty, as per my average post)
in no particular order:

Amidala- Trixie, from Speed Racer

JarJar- Spritle, also from SR

Obi Wan- Derek Smalls, from This Is Spinal Tap

Qui Gon- the Professor from Giligan's Island

Annikan- Eddie Haskell from Leave it to Beaver

Mace W- Alex Trebec or Dennis Haysbert (the president on 24)

#13 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (Mike Mac from NYU @ Mar 3 2004, 11:44 AM)

Well if you are going to cast a Jennifer as Amidala then look no further than Jennifer Connelly. She should fit most people's varied criteria:

1. Great actress.
2. Great looking - I could fall in love with her again.
3. Has boobs.
4. Doesn't look 12 years old.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#14 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2004 - 12:00 AM

My dream is that someday, when I am 60 or so (I am 26 now), i can buy the rights to the Star Wars franchise and create the PT the way i and the rest of you guys envision it. Hopefully all of you guys will be around rto see it. {I hope none of you are 60 years old  }

I'll be 54 when that happens (yes, I AM confident that you'll get the franchise wink.gif )

I don't really know any of the actors, and I hardly ever watch movies to begin with. I never heard of Ewan MacGregor before the Prequels, and not Natalie Portman, Heyden or any other of the cast. In fact, apart from the OT, I never watched any other movie with Mark Hamill, or Carrie Fisher in it (Harrison Ford: I have, but not much).

#15 User is offline   JamesEightBitStar Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 March 2004 - 04:46 AM

Honestly guys, I think casting is one of the most over-analyzed aspects of films--I find that, in the end, it really just doesn't matter. When I watch Indiana Jones, I don't go "Hey, that's Harrison Ford, the guy who played Han Solo!" I only see Indiana Jones, the archeologist.

One thing my mom does that annoys me, is when she's trying to get me hooked on a movie, she'll start naming who'se in it. Half the time I haven't even heard of anyone she names, or even seen or cared about other shows they've been in. I don't judge a book by it's author--wether I'm interested or not is determined solely by it's characters and concept. To me movies are the same thing. You can criticize the casting of Episodes I and II all you want, but the fact is that even if you had Anakin being played by Jonathan Taylor Thomas and Obi-Wan being played by Jim Varney, the movies would be pretty much the same--it's the script that needs to change, not the actors.

But Mike Mac, If you DO get the rights to Star Wars, then I'd love to see it... it'll probably be my last great happiness in life (I'm twenty now).

This post has been edited by JamesEightBitStar: 04 March 2004 - 04:52 AM

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size