• +
  • Last »

Narnia Nation

#31 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:21 PM

I ended up seeing it tonight. You guys will not believe the effects. Aslan looks so real.

And the guy I went with recently read the book again (I hadn't read it in a few years, so my memory of it is a bit off), and he said that the battle in the book is a big one, I just didn't remember because they only specifically named a few people. He said the movie was almost right on with the book. I will have to read it again, now!
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#32 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Dec 9 2005, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey now, it doesn't work if you're just following a trend. tongue.gif

I'm not following a trend. I like to damn you. tongue.gif
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#33 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2005 - 10:44 AM

But you wouldn't have thought of it had it not been for the eight "DYSP"s in her signature.

I really liked the sons of Adam/daughters of Eve thing. It had nice connotations- like the children were somehow more important when they were being called that, and they got a head start to begin with. I don't really care about the semi-religious stuff- let's face it, the bible is a work of creative genius and an amazing story- but it's impossible to slog through and really, really boring. If ideas aren't being used as well as they could be, I say they're up for grabs.
"YOU'RE MISSING A PERIOD. YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY, DON'T YOU? YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU FUCK WITH GRAMMAR? WELL, FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MISSING PERIOD! I HOPE IT MEANS YOUR SLUTTY, NON-PUNCTUATED WAYS HAVE GOTTEN YOU TEEN-PREGNANT!"

#34 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:41 PM

I think my oldest brother once said, "If people read the Chronicles of Narnia instead of the Bible, they would have a much better impression of Christianity."

Or something like that. That was the basic message.

And he's a devout Catholic.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#35 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

Saw it last night. Santa Claus giving out knives was amazing. And Jadis bore a frightening resemblance to my high school Physics teacher on a bad day.
Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#36 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:40 PM

I wish Santa brought me cool things like swords and bows and magic potions... But no, I get stuck with "Santa's bringing you a baby brother!"
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#37 User is offline   Travis Mays Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Dec 9 2005, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I ended up seeing it tonight. You guys will not believe the effects. Aslan looks so real.

And the guy I went with recently read the book again (I hadn't read it in a few years, so my memory of it is a bit off), and he said that the battle in the book is a big one, I just didn't remember because they only specifically named a few people. He said the movie was almost right on with the book. I will have to read it again, now!

What are you talking about? The special effects were horrible! I'll admit, Aslan looked good, but the beavers, and wolves? It's not a shock that the guy who did Shrek directed this one, I think he took templates straight from that movie and stuck them in this one. Everything was so blatently CGI I wanted to puke. The whole point of special effects is to make you oblivious to the fact that you're even watching them in the first place. Hollywood seems to have forgotten that. Seems it started happening right around the time Lucas decided to rear his ugly filmmaking hand once more.

And the acting, oh the acting... Look, I know most kids can't act worth a damn. But when you have a budget, the time, and 4 of them that are all MAIN CHARACTERS, you need to look a little more extensively. I mean, if Haley Joel Osment and Dakota Fanning can do it, surely there are more out there. I mean, did they even look beyond England?

I'm just glad I didn't stay awake long enough to watch the climactic battle of CGI vs CGI.

#38 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:28 PM

I think the movie is fine for an eight-year-old. They cut away on all of the violence, so it's not all gore and heads flying. The target audience is children, which is as it should be and what I was hoping for going in.

There is some license taken here and there, little nods to a couple of the other books that wouldn't have been there if the filmmakers had only read the one book, and the whole opening sequence is there apparently only to remind the audience that there had been a war that had affected England for a while.

Tilda Swinton is great as the White Witch. I'd go on but it's too early for spoilers.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#39 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:58 PM

I liked the movie. Liam Neeson as Aslan was perfect and I think the boys did a good job considering their ages. I entered the theather thinking that some scenes would be cut to insert battle scenes, but I was surprised that instead of cutting, they just added more to the story.

And Maugrim's voice was so cool. pirate.gif

EDIT: And I am damning Spoon for making me see that arrow in the Fedex logo.

This post has been edited by SithAvenger: 11 December 2005 - 05:12 PM

Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#40 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:48 PM

Haha, you really want in my sig, don'tcha, Sith?

#41 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 11 December 2005 - 07:05 PM

I think you should wait until someone else damns you as well, so you can keep it at an even number.

And wait until the "DAMN YOU, SPOON POETIC!" is a little more genuine, instead of just doing it to be cool.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#42 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (Emu @ Dec 11 2005, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saw it last night. Santa Claus giving out knives was amazing. And Jadis bore a frightening resemblance to my high school Physics teacher on a bad day.

this is clearly not the santa i wrote to... angry.gif

#43 User is offline   Mirithorn Icon

• Expert Misologist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:56 PM

I missed out on my opportunity for fame, letting it pass with a simple "That's really annoying."

I don't mind bad special effects, so long as they're not as bad as the CG wolves in The Day After Tomorrow.
"YOU'RE MISSING A PERIOD. YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY, DON'T YOU? YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU FUCK WITH GRAMMAR? WELL, FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MISSING PERIOD! I HOPE IT MEANS YOUR SLUTTY, NON-PUNCTUATED WAYS HAVE GOTTEN YOU TEEN-PREGNANT!"

#44 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Dec 9 2005, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how old are you?

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (SithAvenger @ Dec 11 2005, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: And I am damning Spoon for making me see that arrow in the Fedex logo.

Quit.

The movie was all right. No complaints about the acting, but it was definitely a kid's movie. It got annoying in some places where the stupid movie was trying to pander to the audience's emotions (For example, right before the battle, the oldest boy asks a ventaur if he'll stay with him. The centuar replies "To the death.").

I think it was a fairly solid movie overall...
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#45 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Mirithorn @ Dec 10 2005, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But you wouldn't have thought of it had it not been for the eight "DYSP"s in her signature.

even the sime, horfmarn, and lecter ones are 20 days later... anything now is jsut sad. like buying a nirvana CD in the first 10 years after Cobains "suicide"

and there's only one (1) "DYSP!" wink.gif

QUOTE (Mirithorn @ Dec 10 2005, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really liked the sons of Adam/daughters of Eve thing. It had nice connotations- like the children were somehow more important when they were being called that, and they got a head start to begin with.

the thing i like most about those titles for the children is that it seemed like Aslan was aknowleding thier beleived history as opposed to being an alagory for it. but then he did that too, which just confuses things...

personally, though, i think if people are going to let vague christian parrallels scare them from seeing an entertaining film then that's a shame, because it really is a wonderfull story.

it's also the reason i always hid in the wardrobe all the time, playing hide-and-seek as a child.

QUOTE (Mirithorn @ Dec 11 2005, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't mind bad special effects, so long as they're not as bad as the CG wolves in The Day After Tomorrow.

thankyou...

that really irked me, conmsidering ho wcool so much other stuff looked.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size