• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

UURGH! NOOOOOO!!!!!! Interesting Reading From IMDB.com trivia ROTS

#46 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:01 AM

I generally stay out of this sort of thing, however Zatochi's defence of the OT is way off here.

QUOTE (Zatoichi @ Dec 10 2005, 07:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
4. How does Luke learn how to use a lightsaber? Obi-Wan had him do one drill with a little sphere, and suddenly he's good enough to hold his own against Darth Vader?

Well, because he didn't do jack squat with it in the time that takes place between the two films, now did he? I'll wager he got some practice in here and there. A lightsabre is basically a sword. How hard is to figure out how to use a sword at least a little bit on your own.

It's not technically a sword. It has no defined edge, which virtually all fencing styles depend on, and has no balance since the blade weighs nothing. Existing fighting styles wouldn't apply, and the chance of lopping you own limbs off during practice would be pretty darn high.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#47 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:46 AM

whistling.gif Aw, you caught me. Still, existant fighting styles don't necessarily have to apply, and you can still fight with it as though it had an edge (like swinging around a stick and pretending it was a sword). Still, you got me thinking, the only part with any "physical presance" is the handle. With a simple accidental flick of the wrist you could very well end up dead or maimed (at least for a short time). I suppose with pretty good replacement limbs at least somewhat available it wasn't as much of a concern as it would be for us.

QUOTE (Paladin @ Dec 10 2005, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, if you watch closely, you'll see that he deflects the shots rather than absorbs them...

Oooh, now I'm going to have to check that out the next time I watch. For fun of course.

When I wrote absorbs, I really wasn't sure and just kinda tossed the word out there (it seemed plausible enough)

Thanks for pointing these things out guys thumbsup.gif
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#48 User is offline   Azrael23 Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:45 PM

Jaritan

"Lucas wrote the PT with these two things in mind- 1. how does a good person turn bad and 2. how does a democracy become a dictatorship. With that in mind, the two most important characters in the PT are Anakin and Palpatine, with every other character or event playing off them in some way. What Lucas seems to find more important is not the clone wars itself (the battles etc.) but how Palpatine sets them up. "

AZ..And all of these things could have been put into the film along with the Clone Wars. This could also have been shown as a turning point in Anakins character, not to mention add more depth in a few other Jedi characters. The truth is Anakin is the most important character, not Palpatine, but if that was what Lucas was aiming for he should have given us more scenes involving Anakin and Palpatine together, not just one in Episode 2.

"Which basically boils down to making a country fealful enough so that they'll give up their civil liberties, their rights, anything to the leader who says that he'll keep them safe. The idea of creating a war to stay in office literally happens in the film, but its a process thats happened time and again throughout history, and i'm sure you dont need reminding of the most recent example."

AZ..Thats another problem with these films, to much political elements rather than telling the story and adding character development, those should have been top priority, its Star Wars! Lucas pretty much bored the audience with far to much of it.

"Lucas took two films to cover it."

AZ. Not really. Anakins fall pretty much was covered in Episode 3, I wouldn't even say it was in Episode 2, because that incident appeared to be more isolated

"How was this glossed over?"

AZ..Anakins seduction was far to fast, even my wife who isn't even a SW fan thought it was rather quick and a drastic jump in character.

The Jedi Purge itself could have been a movie as well. All we get is a monologue and a cameo from Jett Lucas rolleyes.gif Lucas didn't do the Jedi any justice and they were wiped out far to easy, which makes them look weak.

Despite the podrace being only 10 minutes long (still to long) it wasn't needed and neither was the Droid factory ordeal. So much potential wasted, how sad.

This post has been edited by Azrael23: 17 December 2005 - 09:57 PM

#49 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 December 2005 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ Dec 16 2005, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What Lucas seems to find more important is not the clone wars itself (the battles etc.) but how Palpatine sets them up.

with all due respect... these films are called STAR WARS not 'star talks'

i hate to sound like a superficial redneck, but for a set of films that really on SFX, it ceratinly skipped the better moments...

instead we get hours of computer work to animate a character that everyone hated.

and not a dime spent on the clone war itself.

QUOTE (jariten @ Dec 16 2005, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How was this glossed over?

the jedicolypse?

it went for 1 minute.

which in a trillogy that had a 10 minute pod race.... yadda yadda yadda smile.gif

QUOTE (Despondent @ Dec 16 2005, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you add all the pre-race preparation and follow up material, it's a reel at least. Wait, does Lucas use reels anymore? I suppose the length adds credence to the weight of the "plot".

reels only last 8 minutes... so i think there's a few round tins labbled 'go-cart bit'

#50 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:31 AM

8 minutes? seriously?

I remember watching for the little blob in the Upper right corner of the screen to indicate a reel change during the repeated ESB viewings. I was under the impression they were 20 minutes or more.

"that boy is our last hope" "no, there is ano-" They ALWAYS stepped on that line! yell.gif

#51 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

like in batman with jack nicolson...

*batman escapes*
'PBPPT'
JOKER: "-those marvelous toys."

...8 minutes was the length when 'rope' was made by hitchcock.

they may have gotten a little longer.

there's an extended version of episode 1 on DVD, where the pod race goes even longer.

#52 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:38 AM

...8 minutes was the length when 'rope' was made by hitchcock.

I rented it the other day, but I havn't had a chance to put it on yet.

Kind of in Star Wars burnout...until after xmas at least. Needless to say, I have INCREDIBLE responses to ALL your criticisms of not only the PT but to EVERY FILM YOU'VE EVER SEEN EVER.

stay tuned.

#53 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:33 PM

cool, when you watch rope... be sure to pay attention to the the very impressive fact that the whole film is ONE shot.

(particularily made impressive by the fact that reels only last 8 minutes)

#54 User is offline   Travis Mays Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:11 PM

Rolls that get loaded into a camera, and reels that get shipped to a theater are two completely seperate things. Most 35mm films shoot with either 400 ft loads (about 4.5 min) or 1000 ft loads (about 11 min). Film reels that get shipped to theaters after the movie is edited and printed are, I think, 2000 ft (about 22 min).

Hope that clears things up.

#55 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Dec 22 2005, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool, when you watch rope... be sure to pay attention to the the very impressive fact that the whole film is ONE shot.

(particularily made impressive by the fact that reels only last 8 minutes)

it wasn't one shot! it was several 10 min shots (with one cut).

I didn't particularly like it.

#56 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:09 AM

everytime a reel needs to be changed in 'rope' someone walks infront of the camera, or the camera passed an object that takes up the whole shot...

the film is one 'virtual' shot.

it's sort of the whole point.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size