• « First

Heartless Obi-wan I loved you...bye!

#61 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:43 AM

Wow, a lot of stuff happened. Anyways, since you didn't bother to argue back to that long ass post I made somewhere on pg 3 Jejef, may I assume that you agree with me?

And, who cares about the artist crap? That doesn't make you a better judge of anything. Get a degree in film analysis if you want to be like that. The thing is, that if you actually did that, you would recognize that the PT is pretty crappy.

But, let me follow your example, and you can make of it what you will:
I am a mediocre trumpet player
I have some experience playing the piano
I can read music
I can write a little music
I am a halfway decent singer
I've written some poetry, and a little bit of other literature here and there
I am working (very slowly) on a screenplay
I have done some directing (film and stage)
I am a good actor (I only believe that because several professors have said so)
I have taken various courses that have to do with stage and film. In more than one we have done analysis as well.
I have done a good portion of costume design
I have seen many many films over the course of my lifetime, and I have only recently started to watch a lot of the classics
et cetera et cetera look out Liberal arts degree, here I come

Now ask yourself, does this make me better able to judge other pieces of artwork than your average joe? (Well probably) Does it make me a better judge of it than yourself? (Maybe) Point is, all of that can mean nothing to what we're concerned about, so it isn't a very good qualification for me to argue about things using all of that info to back up my (right biggrin.gif ) opinions.
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#62 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:44 AM

we knew that ani and padme had to get together... we didn't really need to see how that happened.

Barend, we disagree on everything! (SW related)

#63 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:00 AM

As artists, then, you should all consider this: Artists are their own worst critics. I'm not explaining this statement. Just something for you all to chew on.

I don't agree with you, Zatoichi. I'm not going to express why. It would be a lesson in futility to attempt to rationally discuss this topic further. I don't know where this thread got off topic, but it did. It may have been my fault, but I don't really know for sure.

I'm the one that's not being civil, right?

I'm no good at hitting the return button enough.

Right?

My viewpoint doesn't matter because I didn't think the PT was all that bad. Is this an accurate assumption?

My posts are just soooooo long and boring that they couldn't possibly be making any sense. Correct?

I just don't understand anything. Right?

The OT is perfect in comparison to the PT. I'm sure everyone agrees with this one... right?

This is the way most people on these threads view my posts, or at least that's what I gather from the slew of 'civil' replies directed at me for writing anything at all. You've all made up your mind from watching TPM that the entire PT is going to be horrible. I never said your opinions didn't matter, but if someone even attempts to question your reasoning, you attack with what, to me, seem like canned responses. It's like you've all been building up all of this resentment for so long, that if anyone voices a rational opinion that opposes yours, you all blow up on that person. Seldom do I see anybody give acknowledgement of incorrectness, when they find they are in error.

I do understand. You don't want to be proved wrong.

All I'm trying to do is understand. That's it.

I must apologize. I didn't realize everyone else's opinions were 100% fact. Sorry for disturbing your chi.

I'm gonna go shoot myself, now. I just don't have anything left to live for. Goodbye cruel world.

#64 User is offline   ion eon Icon

• Evolved
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:37 AM

goodbye to you too smile.gif
OH NO!!!

#65 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Mar 9 2006, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I must apologize. I didn't realize everyone else's opinions were 100% fact. Sorry for disturbing your chi.
I'm gonna go shoot myself, now. I just don't have anything left to live for. Goodbye cruel world.

Jejef, the people who hate the PT have legitimate reasons to hate it. Your trying to debunk their legitimate reasons. You believe there are legitimate reasons to like the PT. I think you need to put down that crack pipe, but hey, that’s just my opinion. The problem is when somebody starts making radical claims about the PTs awesomeness, because nobody’s buying it.

If GL paints his house pink and vomit-green/yellow, most people would agree that it was a bad move. You have every right to say ‘its not that bad and here’s why” but you cant get pissed off when everybody disagrees with you.

#66 User is offline   ion eon Icon

• Evolved
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:40 AM

It's too late for that he is already dead....
OH NO!!!

#67 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:19 AM

Drama queen...

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#68 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Mar 9 2006, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jejef, the people who hate the PT have legitimate reasons to hate it. Your trying to debunk their legitimate reasons.

'Legitimacy'? What's that?
"I hate the prequels because they had too much interaction between Padme and Anakin."

Yeah, but we needed to see interaction between those two characters, otherwise the transition between the trilogies wouldn't be very consistent.

"Yeah, but there was just too much."

Those scenes only lasted a few minutes... out of almost two hours time.

"Yeah, but that's a few minutes too many!"

So, they shouldn't have put any of these characters' scenes in the movie?

"Yes... we needed to see interaction between them for consistency issues."

Isn't that what I just mentioned?

"No. Gimme some of whatever you're smoking."

Yeah, that's legitimate.

You believe there are legitimate reasons to like the PT. I think you need to put down that crack pipe, but hey, that’s just my opinion. The problem is when somebody starts making radical claims about the PTs awesomeness, because nobody’s buying it.

Heh? Radical claims? You mean because I like the majority of the movies? I've got problems with the PT, but I think some of these complaints are downright ridiculous. I'm not trying to debunk anyone's arguement. I'm trying to understand others' points of view.

If GL paints his house pink and vomit-green/yellow, most people would agree that it was a bad move. You have every right to say ‘its not that bad and here’s why” but you cant get pissed off when everybody disagrees with you.

Who says I'm pissed off? I think it's funny to debate with people that speak in circles!

Ok, I put my crack pipe down.

#69 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Mar 9 2006, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
'Legitimacy'? What's that?

A legitimate argument is one that can be defended with reasoning. So sayith your friend... the dictionary.

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Mar 9 2006, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Radical claims? You mean because I like the majority of the movies? I've got problems with the PT, but I think some of these complaints are downright ridiculous. I'm not trying to debunk anyone's arguement. I'm trying to understand others' points of view.

Radical claims like the word absolute can have only one definition.

#70 User is offline   Jejef Thgaron Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Mar 9 2006, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A legitimate argument is one that can be defended with reasoning. So sayith your friend... the dictionary.

100% correct. That is what legitimate means. How does my friend, the dictionary, define reasoning? Let's see...

Reasoning n. putting your mind to use.

Given this definition, this would mean that if someone replies to a post without 'putting their mind to use', they are not thinking reasonably. In other words, disputing a point based on the assumption that your opponent is on drugs is not reasoning. Speaking in a contradictory manner of your point is not grounds for putting your mind to use. That would technically be classified as an illegitimate arguement.

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Mar 9 2006, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Radical claims like the word absolute can have only one definition.

Absolute means complete, total, final, unconditional, not to be modified, etc. Do these different synonyms not mean the same singular definition of absolute? Total means the same thing as complete. Final means the same thing as total. Unconditional means there are no conditions because of totality. Not to be modified means that nothing can be modified because it is complete. Are you saying I'm making a radical claim by being absolutely correct when I say that there is only one definition for 'absolute'? I'm not talking about synonyms here, I'm saying there is one singular definition for absolute.

According to the very same dictionary...

Radical adj. thorough/complete

Hmmm... does that mean my claim that absolute can only have one definition is thorough and complete? My buddy, Webster thinks so. By all means, argue your point. In my eyes, you've already ruined any credibility you had in terms of legitimacy. Shall I proceed in explaining the difference between arguement and contradiction? Naw. I'll just let this closing statement sink in.

"Nah nah nah nah nah, nah!"

#71 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

"I hate the prequels because they had too much interaction between Padme and Anakin."

Yeah, but we needed to see interaction between those two characters, otherwise the transition between the trilogies wouldn't be very consistent

Although it seems like we both like the prequels, i'm going to disagree with you on this.

Lucas showed the "interaction" between Ami and Ani because that (love, so along with his mother) is the main reason why he takes the wrong path (as Lucas might say). I dont think it has much to do with transition.

#72 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:42 PM

Jejef...

i think, firstly you need to understand that passive agression is probably the first ticket to conflict.

The OT is perfect in comparison to the PT. I'm sure everyone agrees with this one... right?
This is the way most people on these threads view my posts, or at least that's what I gather from the slew of 'civil' replies directed at me for writing anything at all. You've all made up your mind from watching TPM that the entire PT is going to be horrible. I never said your opinions didn't matter, but if someone even attempts to question your reasoning, you attack with what, to me, seem like canned responses. It's like you've all been building up all of this resentment for so long, that if anyone voices a rational opinion that opposes yours, you all blow up on that person. Seldom do I see anybody give acknowledgement of incorrectness, when they find they are in error.

The OT is not perfect... there are continuity errors, ill informed scientific concepts, ewoks, and a few story problems that undermine some of the films finer points...

it is, however lovable. if has good characters, actors with charsima, good humour, and great character/actor chemistry.

the SFX compliment an otherwise beleivable story. they don't hit you like a cold metal bar rammed up your ass to say look: 'R2D2 can fly' or whatever...

our replies are not canned, there's just so much bad about these films considering the scource material they had to waork with... they just failed to make it work... not as bad as say the film version of 'the hitchhickers guide to the galaxy' but really really bad never the less.

the fact that you call yourself 'the voice of reason' and accuse us of being 'in error' after stating that our opinion is nothing more than that while acting as if yours is fact, is what turns an otherwise simple argument into a slapfest....

I do understand. You don't want to be proved wrong.

see, that's the shit i'm talking about...

#73 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (Jejef Thgaron @ Mar 9 2006, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In other words, disputing a point based on the assumption that your opponent is on drugs is not reasoning.

I was being sarcastic.

On a completely separate and totally unrelated note, does anyone know how to say douche bag in German?

#74 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

Duschebeutel

#75 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Mar 9 2006, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Duschebeutel

laugh.gif awesome!

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size