Chefelf.com Night Life: Holocaust exaggerated: Gibson dad - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

Holocaust exaggerated: Gibson dad Friday, February 20, 2004

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 February 2004 - 12:52 AM

Holocaust exaggerated: Gibson dad

From correspondents in New York
February 19, 2004

A WEEK before the United States release of Mel Gibson's controversial movie, The Passion of the Christ, the filmmaker's father has repeated claims the Holocaust was exaggerated.

Hutton Gibson's comments, made in a telephone interview with New York radio talk show host Steve Feuerstein, come at an awkward time for the actor-director who has been trying to deflect criticism from Jewish groups that his film might inflame anti-Semitic sentiment.

In his interview on WSNR radio's Speak Your Piece, to be broadcast on Monday, Hutton Gibson, argued that many European Jews counted as death camp victims of the Nazi regime had in fact fled to countries like Australia and the United States.

"It's all - maybe not all fiction - but most of it is," he said, adding that the gas chambers and crematoria at camps like Auschwitz would not have been capable of exterminating so many people.

"Do you know what it takes to get rid of a dead body? To cremate it?" he said. "It takes a litre of petrol and 20 minutes. Now, six million of them? They (the Germans) did not have the gas to do it. That's why they lost the war."

http://www.theaustra...55E1702,00.html

Thanks a lot, DAD!
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 20 February 2004 - 01:39 AM

i don't know, mel doesn't strike me as anti-sematic... so i've gotta see this film. Like mel said, if he were anti-sematic, he would not have worked with alot of people he has worked with in the past. I'm not a big fan of Mels, but i don't dislike him. I just have to see this film... is it out there yet? Have people seen it, or is it "anti semetic" in a santa-clause/christian holiday kind of way?

as for his dad... well you can say alot of contraversial things, but i'd stay the hell away from the whole haulacost thing personally. that's one topic not be handled lightly.

#3 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 20 February 2004 - 04:59 AM

Mel is pretty guarded about his possible anti-semitism, seeing as how he's taken such a hit for his homophobia over the years. Not that gay people refuse to work with him, any more than Jewish people would refuse such a bankable actor if he came out and said something as stupid as his dad said. All the same, Mel's been pretty guarded, so it's hard to say what he thinks.

I think he's in a bad spot here. He doesn't want publically to side with his father, like a good son, since to do that would be to say that he is a holocaust denier. But he can't contradict his father in public either, since he wants to be the good son.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 February 2004 - 09:35 AM

If I were Mel I would forget about my anti-homosexual and anti-Jew feelings and just harness all that anger towards hating my father for trying with all of his being to ruin my career.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 Guest_Anniemate_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 February 2004 - 10:44 PM

I opened this thread with some trepidation.

However...I've seen some short clips from the film, like most of us. I shan't go to see it, simply because I can't watch realistic looking cruelty and torure practised on anyone. I don't have the stomach for it and I wouldn't be able to sleep at night for realising that that it did happen and atrocities like it still happen all the time.
For the same reason I can't watch the pieces of film shot at the time of the WWII liberation of the concentration camps like Auswitz and Belsen and all the others. Most of these people, as is indisputable, were Jews. This is what antisemitism lead to.
That is the very reason I think Hutton Gibson must be a very stupid, blind and prejudiced old man, despite being good at game shows!

His son I would hope, is more worldly and compassionate.

#6 User is offline   Jon Gutner Icon

• The Dairy Man
  • PipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 February 2004 - 01:43 AM

[B][I][U][FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue] i BLAHMBABAGO!!!!! see it meybee. probly. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

#7 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 21 February 2004 - 01:57 PM

I don't really like Mel Gibson, and never really have, so I doubt that I'll go see just because of that fact.

#8 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2004 - 06:14 PM

I'm going to see it. Not just to be a bandwagon jumper, but whenever something is going to be the most talked-about film of the year, I see it, so I know what the talk is about. Sure, I pay for it pretty much every time, since the talked-about films are usually the very very bad ones (eg BASIC INSTINCT), but I don't think it'll necessarily be the case with this one.

I don't understand the Catholic fixation on the Passion. Were I Christian I'd focus on the saying sand probably on the Resurrection of Christ. Eastern Christians made all sorts of Risen Christ icons, while in the West it's all crucifixes and Stations of the Cross.

All the same, I will see the ass off that movie. I won't be bothered by the torture or the atrocity; our society is far more violent today and I sleep just fine. I wish things were differerent for a lot of people, but I don't lose sleep wishing it.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#9 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 21 February 2004 - 07:28 PM

I'll see it. I believe it opens Wednesday. It's a shame Gibson's dad is stealing the limelight. Anyone hear of a lightning bolt strike the cross when filming?

#10 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2004 - 04:59 AM

James Caviezel (Jesus) was stuck by lightning TWICE during the filming. The Assistant Director, who is essentialy the schedule-maker and foreman on set, was struck by lightning once. The mitigating factor is that these strikes all occured on the one day, it was during a storm, and they were both carrying umbrellas. So, really, they were standing out there on a hill holding lightning rods, and got what they deserved.

It is a nice coincidence, however, given that what they were working on is technically blasphemy.

#11 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 22 February 2004 - 12:41 PM

I found that highly amusing.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size