• Last »

Let's Play A Game

#91 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:08 PM

The Melvins
Rather than churning out one mediocre collaborative album after another, why not try focusing on some new original material of your own? Did we need a second Jello Biafra collaboration? No. The first one barely warranted release, which makes the second one almost inexcusable.

The Cure
Hey, Robert Smith. It's been long enough. You could, you know, buy a comb or something. And maybe knock it off with the mopey goth-boy makeup, seeing as how you're well past an age where that can be considered acceptable dress. Oh, and also your attempt at a "harder" album was horrible. Please just stop making music before you ruin the rest of your legacy.

Daft Punk
*thud beep thud boop thud beep thud boop* repeat for seven minutes. It was okay the first time out, then you got really good at it, then you sucked out loud at it. 'Nuff said.

Hopesfall
Isn't this that screamo band that likes to do, like, nine minute cello breakdowns for no reason? Yeah...no fucking thanks.

Stratovarius
Two words: "progressive" and "metal". Generally not two words that go together well.

Malice Mizer
Never heard of them, and their band name makes me laugh.

Gaelic Storm
What did I say about Celtic music?

Project 86
What did I say about Christian rock?

Orgy
Little known fact: one of the guys in this band, Amir Derakh was in a hair/glam metal band in the 80s called Jailhouse. See if you can find him in this album cover!

And if you don't believe me, take a look at Jailhouse's AMG entry. This isn't important, it just helps to prove my point that these guys suck royally.

Death From Above 1979
"Ooh! Heccubus likes this band! There's no way he can say anything bad about them!" Right? Wrong. I have a few problems with them. For one thing, the singer's voice can be pretty irritating if I'm in a bad mood. When he screams, it's like a cat being hit by a car full of crying babies. Secondly, They're releasing three different versions of their next album. This is a pretty nice way to lose fans, in my opinion. I guess that's it for now.

The Dillinger Escape Plan
They have about ten songs that all sound the same to me. I still like them, but it's obvious that they have limitations that stupid music critics tend to ignore so that they can continue creaming all over their Dillinger CDs.

#92 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:35 PM

There's not really anything Christian about Project 86, and I can't figure out why they're under that category...

Aqualung, Ben Folds, The Unicorns, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, HIM, Rush, Coldplay, Weezer, New Order

Sorry if there are repeats, I don't remember things you've done and am too lazy to read ancient posts...
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#93 User is offline   Marky Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The Chuckster, punkrock, beer, birds.

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (floppydisk @ Nov 29 2005, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BAM! I beat you to the mention. (glad to find someone else who likes them, though)

Ah, must have missed that. And that is a very stupid comment tongue.gif

#94 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:18 PM

there was alot of glam to goth traffic on the genre migration front.

shotgun messiah replaced their guitarists and drummer with a sampler.

then there's christian death... a glam band who called themselves goth...
that big boofy blonde hair actually fooled a suprising amount of people.

#95 User is offline   Al Creed Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 30 November 2005 - 02:00 AM

Has anyone mentioned Billy Idol yet?

I want to see how far this goes. biggrin.gif

#96 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:19 AM

I just followed Hecc's sig and found this thread.

All right, Heccubus: Let's hear about the Finns.
Crowded House, Solo work, Finn Brothers, Split Enz. (Go nuts on the Enz, I'm not as familiar with them.)

CH drummer Paul Hester: "People compare us with the Beatles. There were 4 of them and there are 3 of us. No comparison." cool.gif

#97 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:34 AM

No idea if we're still going, but have a crack at Sepultura (pre or post Max, doesn't matter)
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#98 User is offline   Hero4u2hire Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:I'm a chef,<br />xbox<br />bar conversations<br />cold weather<br />skiing<br />drinking beer<br />buying under armour stuff<br />Bragging about my BIL worked on starwars III

Post icon  Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:08 PM

Hi Hecc, been awhile,

Sorry I'm late to this party, here's two easy ones

Fallout Boy (got that damn song stuck in my head! GRRR) yell.gif

H.I.M.

and maybe, maybe not easy (cult band)

Manic Street Preachers ( I found them by looking for a rendition of the Theme song from MASH) crying.gif

And if you can't find something to trash these guys about I can: biggrin.gif

Sonic Youth

#99 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:12 PM

Wow, its been forever since you've been here. Hi, I'm floppydisk.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#100 User is offline   Zewb Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Things and stuff.

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:00 PM

The Toasters

Journey

CAKE

This post has been edited by Zewb: 02 March 2006 - 11:11 PM

"It's gettin' to be re-goddamn-diculous. If you guys don't start thinking as men, we're gonna have a lousy country."

-John Wayne

#101 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:20 AM

Ignoring the possibility of there being any repeats (aside from the one that I really don't feel like going into again: Sonic Youth):

Aqualung
Two words: adult alternative. This in and of itself is almost enough to make me want to die when I hear Aqualung. Truly boring music. Next.

Ben Folds
One of the most disappointing solo ventures of all time. For example, Songs For Silverman bares more than a passing resemblance musically, and thematically to the Ben Folds Five's final album The Unauthorized Biography Of Reinhold Messner. Plus it's really just more of the same piano-based alternative rock that he's been cranking out since day one. Nothing new or exciting.

The Unicorns
While I happen to enjoy the Unicorns, the fawning over the new wave of lo-fi indie rock bands is getting disgusting. Really, the Unicorns are no better or worse than the lot of them, and the scene seems pretty stuck on doing what the Folk Implosion and Sebadoh did a decade ago.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
I have yet to really pay them any mind. I guess they're alright, but I don't see what the big fuss is. Maybe I just don't "get it", or better yet, maybe I just don't care.

HIM
This is actually the first band to see more than one request before I got to them. Funny, since they also happen to be one of the most stunningly over-rated rock bands in existence. Surely, people are smart enough to see through the cliche melodrama, chugging guitars and mind-numbingly simplistic drums, right? Apparently not...this pile of pseudo-goth rock star wannabes have amassed a following that, frankly, disgusts me. Sadly, I used to count myself among these legions. Thankfully, however, I was struck with a moment of clarity. "Hey," I thought. "This band is actually pretty terrible." I think "generic" is giving them too much credit. On a side note, I sold every last HIM CD that I owned earlier this week. Got a cool $10 for all five.

Rush
No. No, no, no, no, a thousand times no. I hate Geddy Lee's voice, and I pretty much just generally hate prog rock. It has nothing to offer society. I would not be displeased to wake up tomorrow and learn that the entire band had been mauled by some sort of wild animal. Like a bear or something. In fact, I would actively seek out said bear, and attempt to befriend it.

Coldplay
If Radiohead suddenly said "You know, experimentalism is fun, but we should make music that our moms would listen to" they would basically be Coldplay.

Weezer
(Note: this only applies to post-Pinkerton Weezer)
What the hell is wrong with Rivers Cuomo. The man was in one of the most interesting and groundbreaking pop bands of the 90s, and then he goes out and decides that he wants to be a rock star? What the fuck is up with those Weezer shirts that look like Slayer shirts? Who in their right mind thought that was honestly a good idea? What is wrong with you people? The worst part about all of this is that despite their blindingly obvious lack of any notable talent, people still eat this shit up. The next ten year old kid that I hear singing "Beverly Hills" is going to get punched in the back of the head.

New Order
Phase One: Form depressing, pretentious post-punk band before there eve is a "post"-punk movement.
Phase Two: Sit idly by while vocalist spirals into depression, culminating in his suicide. Make no effort to help him whatsoever.
Phase Three: Using your existing reputation and your former vocalist's tragic life to get some attention, form pretentious, depressing synth-based rock band.
Phase Four: Records don't sell very nicely, cut out the depressing bit, increase pretension, convince people that you're relevant by releasing upbeat pop tunes.
Phase Five: Ten years pass with your band seeing some success, then, suddenly, no one cares.
Phase Six: COMEBACK!
Phase Seven: No one cares.

Billy Idol
Let's face it, I'm an Idol freak. I saw the man perform live last summer and it was the single greatest moment of my life. Well, not exactly the greatest, but it was pretty amazing regardless. Despite all of this however, I can only ask: Why don't you just stop? Please? For me? I don't want to remember Billy Idol going out on that pile of shit Devil's Playground nonsense. I already have to ignore Charmed Life and Cyberpunk if I expect to get any sleep at night. But really, a third pile of useless garbage? Please stop, Mr. Idol. Or better yet, reunite with Generation X and go back to being a pioneer, rather than a sellout.

Anything The Finn Brothers Have/Will Do
I really don't care. I heard maybe two Crowded House songs when I was a kid and even then they weren't remotely interesting to me. And I was listening to horrible music at the time.

Sepultura
Let's just pretend Max Cavalera never left, Soulfly never existed, and Sepultura were still at least somewhat relevant. Hell, even the metal kids don't care about Sepultura anymore. I think everyone has just finally realized that Cavalera carried that band. His only mis-step was the whole Fred Durst collaboration thing. That could have never happened, and no one would have minded.

Fall Out Boy
Eh...what can you say? Annoying emo/pop-punk songs. Way too catchy for their own good. Used to love them, got sick of them once the majors got ahold of them and they were being crammed down my throat fifty times per day. Haven't touched any of their albums in months. That about covers my thoughts on Fall Out Boy. Oh, and they're all ugly, and the bass player is a douche.

Manic Street Preachers
They have one good song. I won't say what that song is, but it is a very, very good song. Other than that, they're pretty much useless. More of the same "we like the Verve waaaaay too much" type stuff. Nothing of note.

The Toasters
As a ska band, I have little to no reason to really take much interest in them. I can count the ska bands I like on one hand, and none of those fingers represents the Toasters.

Journey
Fuck Journey. That is all.

Cake
Is this guy trying to rap, or is he trying to sing? In either case, he doesn't do it very well at all. Cake have only ever been good for one thing: novelty singles. That's all they manage to produce. People care about Cake when they have a catchy single out, and then once its life has run out, no one cares about them for a couple of albums. The plus side to this is that anyone who actually likes this band can easily find all of their albums for next to nothing in used CD stores once people finally get sick of them.

#102 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:29 AM

On the subject of Blackmore's Night:

Ghost of a Rose
Diamonds and Rust

those two songs alone justify their existence, and I rather like them. They're not TRYING to sound like renaissance, they're trying to blend different styles of music and doing a pretty good job of it. The guitars on Diamonds and Rust make a beautiful accompany to the almost mournful vocals, and they balance songs like that out with fairly upbeat and fast paced tunes.

Now for a really hard one:

Bob Dylan
Rage Against The Machine

And then two easy ones

Audioslave (If your words can actually inflict pain on these watered down pussies I'll love you forever!)
Thursday

Oh, and Madonna

and what about Men Without Hats?

I like them, but only because they're eighties.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#103 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:27 AM

You mentioned in the earlier posts that people were making it too easy. I have no idea whether it's easy or not, but I'm curious as to what you have for The Living End.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#104 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:38 PM

Have you done David Bowie yet?
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#105 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:00 AM

Whoa, let's see... something that'll get me banned from here...

From Autumn to Ashes
Hawthorne Heights
Mr. Big
Apocalyptica
Rammstein
Brother Rat
Mike & The Mechanics
AC/DC
Moby
James Blunt

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size