• +

Our Local Grocery Store Sucks Wednesday, August 24, 2005

#16 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:49 PM

What I really got from this article was the link to Dean & Deluca. Now I'll admit, I don't know anything about Balsamic vinegar, so maybe it is possible to make a bottle worth $180, but were I to advertise a think like that, I'd be sure not to misspell "digestif."

Anyway, where I was sure, without question, that this was just a store for rich assholes was when I read the write-up for the tin of 18 Hallowe'en cookies. 18 cookies, in a special tin for "your favourite trick or treater." I'm sorry, folks, but if I'm spending $55 on a few ounces of what look to be pretty ordinary cookies (not even the least bit laced with cocaine), then my "favourite trick or treater" better show up in a lace teddy. Couldn't hurt either if she brings a friend.

Mortar and Pestle for $50; salt & pepper mill set for $240; at Dean an Deluca, the madness never ends!

This post has been edited by civilian_number_two: 27 August 2005 - 08:50 PM

"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#17 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:50 PM

again, this could be culteral differences, and i don't know all your strange american customs, so i hope i'm not being ignorant when i say, that if a cashier takes a call and walks away from you it means the food is free.

seriously...

he's done with you if he's taking a call, and there's no court that wouldn't back you on this.

failing that, you should have destroyed him, but again... otherside of the ocean, i'm not sure

#18 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:55 AM

If a cashier walked away from the stuff he was selling me to take a call I'd consider it my right to take it - I've held up my end of the bargain - I have brought my selection of items to the checkout with money to pay upon reasonable request of the cashier - he's bloody walked off. As compensation for him reneging on the unwritten rules of customer/cashier relations, I'd take my groceries. And be damned to any court or copper that tried to stick me for it.

#19 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:37 PM

i love how australians think alike....

#20 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:17 AM

Well, it wasn't the cashier, it was the bagger who is supposed to bag up my groceries. So everything had already been paid for. Now I don't need a servant to put my groceries in a bag, I have no problem doing it myself. However, since he was being paid to do that (and he started) I was rather annoyed that I had to finish it up.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#21 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 September 2005 - 02:40 AM

Having worked on a grocery store checkout for five and a half year(I bloody hate casual work), I'm surprised they can get away with it. I'd be fired in a second for behaving like that. We *have* to say hello, how are you, thank you, goodbye etc. And if we don't smile, we also get into trouble.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#22 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Sep 1 2005, 08:17 AM)
Well, it wasn't the cashier, it was the bagger who is supposed to bag up my groceries.  So everything had already been paid for.  Now I don't need a servant to put my groceries in a bag, I have no problem doing it myself.  However, since he was being paid to do that (and he started) I was rather annoyed that I had to finish it up.

then you should have kicked him in the face!

what the helll is wrong with american kids?!?

when i worked in a supermarket, we scanned the products in order that they should go in the bag and wasted no time doing it.
is there some problem or deficiency in the US education system that prohibits by way of ommision, people from doing more than one thing?

that's increadibly unacceptable behaviour though....

you should have kicked up a big stink. told the cashier to give back you money because you're not paying to visit some social club where if you are lucky, someone may help you. And if you're going to be filling your own bags then you shouldn't be paying.

i'm sorry...

to be honest... i can't think of a non violent solution to this.

if i ever visit NY, you must take me to this place.

#23 User is offline   EwokHunter Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Aug 24 2005, 12:48 PM)
Our local grocery store sucks.  I don't want to be unprofessional and go naming names but let's just say that the name of the grocery store rhymes with Pisstedes.  Sure, I may have been known to say, in the past, that other grocery stores are the worst but I am much more learned now.  Now is time for the truth.  Our local store sucks worse than all others.

Some Reasons why our Gristedes local grocery store is the worst grocery store:

Expired Products
Sure, it happens.  You can't catch every expired product.  I don't expect any store to do it.  I normally check the expiration dates on nearly everything I buy.  However, I have on two separate occasions purchased expired peanut butter from this store.  Peanut butter, for the record, normally has a sell by date at least a year after you buy it.  In January I purchased some peanut butter that had expired the previous September.  Then, in May, I again purchased peanut butter that had expired on the same date in September the previous year, leading me to believe it was from the same shipment.  I shudder to think of how long these jars of peanut butter had been in the stock room.  Now, I must resort to regularly checking the expiration date on a product that should easily last over a year without spoiling.

Mislabeled Food
Everything in the store is mislabeled.  Coffee is labeled as "frozen," cereal is labeled as "produce," apples are labeled as "dairy."  I can deal with that except that the prices are usually mislabeled as well.  This makes for an interesting game of guessing how much your groceries will total to at the register.  Normally, if given a calculator, this should be an extremely easy task.  However, a calculator will do you no good at this particular store.

It's not that they're trying to trick people into spending more money.  Having seen every other aspect of the store I know that this is not the case.  Even if they wanted to scam their customers they would lack the sort of organization to do so.  Instead the prices vary between being too high and too low.  It is for this reason that I suspect simple incompetence and negligence that causes the prices to vary so much.  They are far too disorganized to run a normal grocery store, let alone scam anyone.

Today I noticed that the 100 bag box of Lipton tea was $2.99.  That's not too bad.  However, the 48 count box was priced $3.29.  This runs counter to everything I have known to be true about retail pricing for my entire life.  Needless to say, I purchased the 100-count box but the savings were evened out when I paid $4.49 for a tin of coffee that was labeled $3.29.

Customer Service
If someone at this store looks you in the eye while checking you out then that is a small victory.  If they say a single word to you ("Debit or credit?" not included) then that is a colossal victory.  If they say either "Hello" or "Have a nice day," then you are living in some sort of fantasy world or are delusional... or both.

It is a standard occurrence to have your cashier check their cell phones while ringing you out.  On several shopping trips I have watched a cashier look at their cell phone to see who was calling as it was ringing loudly with the latest annoying ring tone undoubtedly sung by Avril Lavigne.  On many other trips I've seen them simply check their cell phones for messages because, perhaps, they were being professional that day and had the phone on vibrate.  On one occasion a bagger actually stopped bagging my groceries half way through because he took a call on his cell phone and just walked away.  Seriously.

Rotting Produce
Earlier this week they only had one kind of fruit: peaches.  There were no other options.  If you wanted apples, you were shit out of luck.  Want grapes?  Not a chance.  In fact, I don't know if I've ever seen grapes there.  Of course grapes are a pretty exotic fruit that you'd be much more likely to find at some sort of fancy specialty store.  When they do have more fruit than peaches, it's all rotting.  Their apples are bruised, their potatoes are soft, their onions are sprouting green stalks, their lettuce is wilted and their carrots are limp.

Singing Fruit
There are mechanical singing fruit in most locations of this market.  This may sound like an entertaining diversion that would serve to take your mind off the fact that you're paying $4.99 a pound for carrots that you'd have trouble giving away in a third world country during a famine but it's much more annoying than amusing.  In our location they have opted to have the fruit sing about the glories of their salad bar.  "We have fruit and vegetables," the little papaya sings in an annoying tone.  It is worth mentioning that there is no salad bar in this store.

Dirt
This grocery store may be the dirtiest building I've ever been in.  The hand baskets are so dirty that one can't even tell what color they were originally.  They're actually caked with mud.  Mud.  It's a city grocery store.  These things don't leave the store.  There is no parking lot.  There's nothing but pavement around the building for five miles in every direction.  I'm not sure where the mud even comes from.  Maybe they import it from New Jersey.  Either that or they simply take it from the dirty, mud-crusted lettuce that they have in the produce section.

Expensive Prices
Not only do you get expired products, poor customer service and a dirty, dirty location, you also have to pay the highest prices I've ever seen even by New York City standards.  It's located right next to a hospital, which for some reason compels them to charge $6.19 for a box of Cheerios.

For the most part you'd be able to go to a hoity-toity grocery store like Dean and DeLuca and spend the same amount of money.  However, since you live in a sketchy part of town and are not surrounded by rich assholes, you have to pay the price by having inferior products for the same price because the non-English speaking community in the area is too polite to say anything and/or be taken seriously when they complain about the state of their rotten Yucca (which, incidentally, tastes like soap when purchased at our store).

Does the people still buying there?
If it's so bad, why the store still being there?

#24 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:29 PM

...just for the record, i'm still angry about this!

does that make me super caring, or just crazy and neurotic?

#25 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Aug 24 2005, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Customer Service
If someone at this store looks you in the eye while checking you out then that is a small victory. If they say a single word to you ("Debit or credit?" not included) then that is a colossal victory. If they say either "Hello" or "Have a nice day," then you are living in some sort of fantasy world or are delusional... or both.

It is a standard occurrence to have your cashier check their cell phones while ringing you out. On several shopping trips I have watched a cashier look at their cell phone to see who was calling as it was ringing loudly with the latest annoying ring tone undoubtedly sung by Avril Lavigne. On many other trips I've seen them simply check their cell phones for messages because, perhaps, they were being professional that day and had the phone on vibrate. On one occasion a bagger actually stopped bagging my groceries half way through because he took a call on his cell phone and just walked away. Seriously.

You think thats bad, once when I was in a supermarket that will not be named for legal reasons and I came up to the cashier, she just looked at me as if I was poison, grabbed the only thing I had at the time (a big bag of salt and viniger chips) opened the packet and spat in it, I asked her why and she said:

"Becouse you never returned my calls, you pig"

Oh yeah... I was in the zone that day.

#26 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:25 PM

Whoa! Cobnat, did you know this person?! ohmy.gif I work in retail and I always think it's funny when we get our "Mystery Shops" and we used to score above 90%, now, we've resorted to hiring just anybody and our mystery shops are sitting in the 20's. A lot of it has to do with the carelesness of our employees. A good number of them are straight out of highschool and they have no self respect. No parent has ever beaten them. They don't respect anyone else, they're just looking for a fling. Same with all the Wal-mart employees under the age of 30. (sigh) The demorilazation and the prevailing of apathy. All these kids need is a beating to get them off of their arrogant pedestal. When humbled properly, they just might take some care and pride in their work.

#27 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:13 AM

Some kids are just idiots. I've worked with people who fail to grasp the concept that all they have to do is do what they're told. It's not hard.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#28 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:40 AM

From where I am when they are under the influence of a promotion they are really polite to me in the bank until I reject their offer.

Other than the poor quality of food and groceries some of the customers are just as bad as they swear, throw objects and bottles around. Some of the workers do look little grim though.

I think what is happening of doing as their told is that they were demeaned to do that and fed promotional stuff to motivate them, just to what I see.

Outside the stores, has anybody ever got caught up with sales people or surveyors?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 27 August 2006 - 11:05 AM

#29 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:32 PM

Ha! Salespeople and Surveyors, I just smile, be polite and walk away. I'll actually tell them why I can't stand there and chit-chat. But hey, I'm still very kind about it and they let me go. Most of the time they smile and go to the next person to antagonize.

#30 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 27 August 2006 - 04:19 PM

Well I was polite to them and they tell me what they do but when I get into the specifics it is not as good as it seems.

Hello my name is ***** from the ****** charity and I want to know if you can donate $5 a week so it could help us open up more centres.
That sounds interesting, what kinds of things do you do there.
We train people to help get them jobs.
For which kind of jobs?
Well we focus on high street jobs, offices and environmental care.
So what do you do in the training?
We give them confidence and some support.
How do you give them confidence and what kind of support is provided?
We make them feel good and we provide basic support yeah, where someone comes in to help around.
Are they experienced with what they do, have they done that before?
Unfortunately they are not, it will be more expensive that way.
Well confidence does not come on its own like that and at least for me.

I had a conversation with another one of these street thingys on my way back about a very basic subject and he said "Na mate, that is waaaay beyond me." Isn't it right that a surveyor doesn't know how to add up his own work?

As I was walking with no intentions of talking on the day I was finding clothes, a man said:
"High, we are from charity, we care about disabled people, and with $3 dollars a week you could help care for these disabled..."
"Nobody cared about me." Whilst I walked passed.
"I am sorry to hear that mate."
I just stopped, went back and said:
"Excuse me sir don't pitty me, thank you." He walked off miserably whilst I resumed my journey.

This is why I don't trust them or taking up a job on surveying wildy in public as a human advert. I don't want to be ignored for any precious work I do to earn a living like that.

He saw that I walked straight pass with a straight face and still tried to interrupt me. This form of advertising is happening more frequently. Adverts everywhere, clothes, lcd screens, large posters, magazines and now people in my face.

Would anyone hear like to do surveying in a busy public street for someone else?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 27 August 2006 - 04:32 PM

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size