Chefelf.com Night Life: Nitpick'd! - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Nitpick'd!

#1 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:35 AM

For those who don't read my weblog, but consider themselves music fans, you may want to check in every now and then for the next little while! I recently bought an issue of Spin Magazine in which they list the top 100 albums released since they began publishing, and I have taken it upon myself to deconstruct their list album by album from 100 straight through to number 1. Not only do I get a chance to exercise my ability to yak about music for hours on end, but it exposes me as a person who is not as knowledgable in the field as some often assume! It might be wise to watch for the final entry, after the entire list is done, to see me rant on about albums that deserved places on that list, did not make the cut.

#2 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Puns, irony & sarcasm

Posted 10 July 2005 - 07:30 AM

I heard Modest Mouse for the first time last week, through a borrowed copy of Good News...... I think if you're expecting something to blow you away then you will be disappointed but its a decent record with some good Pixies-esque tunes on there.

Kudos on the White Stripes thing though. De Stijl and White Blood Cells was the peak, before Jack went all Loretta Lynn and Bridget Jones.

#3 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:07 AM

I'll agree with your regarding Lauryn Hill's oversaturation of her singles however I don't think that's what makes me dislike the album more than most. Miseducation is one of my faves but what kills it for me is those painfully long and poorly recorded classroom segments. If you are listening to it in your car at full volume you just hear:

"mumblemumblemumblemumble"

"HA HA HA HA HA HA"

"Love..."

See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#4 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony & sarcasm

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:21 AM

I definitely agree with you on the Moby front. Ugh!

But Jeff Buckley was an immense talent and I think, had events not occured the way they did, could have been a legend for this generation.

#5 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 11 July 2005 - 02:22 PM

Chefelf:
I should've mentioned that it had been few years since I heard "Miseducation", so my opinion could very well have changed, since Ms. Hill is now absent from the singles charts. I have a hard time enjoying an album when the video networks and radio are cramming it down my throat every ten minutes is all. If I chose to listen to a continuous loop of "That Thing", it would be different.
Also, aren't all hip hop albums sullied by those useless skits? Even my favouritest rap albums of all time (take "Stankonia" for example) are not listened to start-to-finish if they have some annoying skit after every other song.

#6 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:22 AM

Yeah, that's one of the biggest problems with hip hop these days. There are too many skits and they are LOOOOONG. De La Soul did it right in '89 and '91 with their first two albums. Both began with a skit a couple minutes in length and then were peppered with short 5-10 second skits which were perfectly tolerable.

The problem with a 2 minute skit relying heavily on a final punchline is that it gets old REALLY fast. At least they had the common decency to start putting those skits onto their own tracks so you could more easily skip them.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#7 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Jul 10 2005, 06:35 AM)
For those who don't read my weblog, but consider themselves music fans, you may want to check in every now and then for the next little while!  I recently bought an issue of Spin Magazine in which they list the top 100 albums released since they began publishing, and I have taken it upon myself to deconstruct their list album by album from 100 straight through to number 1.  Not only do I get a chance to exercise my ability to yak about music for hours on end, but it exposes me as a person who is not as knowledgable in the field as some often assume!  It might be wise to watch for the final entry, after the entire list is done, to see me rant on about albums that deserved places on that list, did not make the cut.

sounds good. Ill be tuning in.

#8 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 July 2005 - 12:17 AM

if lauren hill is that bitch from the fugees... i hate her and everything she's done.

i disagree with some of your points, but i disagree with most of their choices...

especially 'doolittle' by the pixies...

AKA the pixies album that everyone has...

except me. aside from the last few years, i have always lived with someone who owned this album, so never needed a copy...
and while it's a brilliant album it is 19 times out of 20 the only pixies album anyone seems to have, and those remaining 1 out of every 20 will say that 'surfa rosa' is better...

but the ultimate truth is 'TROMP LeMOND' is not only the best pixies album but it's one of the best albums ever...

and should have been in the top 20.

and what the fuck is with 'ill communication'
'pauls boutique' is the money album!

is there a link to the original list?

if they've left out killing joke they're full of shit!!!

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size