Chefelf.com Night Life: I'm up to HERE with super-heroes!!! - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

I'm up to HERE with super-heroes!!!

#16 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Jul 18 2005, 12:47 AM)
yeah, by the sounds of it, if they've even started, they are only doing one of the books. or at least starting with book 2. and that sucks...
They will probably be making the movies in the order that the books were made.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#17 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:55 PM

which means they're skipping the first one, as edmund, lucy, etc. were not in the first book, but are in the movie...

#18 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:45 PM

I think you missed Revan's point. The books were not written in chronological order. THE LION THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE is the first one, and they should be read in the order in which they were written, not the order in which they happen. Just like the STAR WARS movies, except the prequels should be ignored altogether.

I am glad they're making that one first. On its own THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW doesn't carry the same weight. When Digory see Aslan making the world of Narnia, well, so what? When you've already seen the world through a couple of other adventures, then it means something.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#19 User is offline   darth_newmacer Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:38 AM

In daredevil, I never understood the scene where there's a crime going on.. but Ben Aflek decides instead to have sex... hmmmm.... Thats mainly why I disliked, that and the fact that he kills some guy... some super-hero, the rule is you only supposed to kill the BAD-GUY, right!? What other movies are there where the sup kills a worth less thug... Spiderman, although the guy trips and he did kill Uncle Ben, so....

Also, did anyone see Wedding Crashers, was it a let down...maybe thats another topic...

This post has been edited by darth_newmacer: 19 July 2005 - 12:41 AM

#20 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:23 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jul 18 2005, 10:45 PM)
I think you missed Revan's point.  The books were not written in chronological order.  THE LION THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE is the first one, and they should be read in the order in which they were written, not the order in which they happen.  Just like the STAR WARS movies, except the prequels should be ignored altogether.

i watched the animated series of the lion the witch and the wardrobe, and when i was older i was bought the set of books.

i read TMN as quickly as i could to get the story i loved so much, but by the end i realized i had just totally read an awsome book...

if it is not shown first, where does it belong?

i think it would be weirdly placed anywhere else...
they have the oportunity to tell a great series in chronological order (which i'd like to see happen at least once) and they're not...

i guess the term prequel has been tainted for me...

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jul 18 2005, 10:45 PM)
I am glad they're making that one first. On its own THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW doesn't carry the same weight.  When Digory see Aslan making the world of Narnia, well, so what?  When you've already seen the world through a couple of other adventures, then it means something.

because that's a valid point, but still...

#21 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (floppydisk @ Jul 18 2005, 07:38 PM)
I can't Jessica Alba either. tongue.gif

Crap. That was a typo. Sorry about that. In short, I don't like the Alba girl. I find her annoying.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#22 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:20 AM

I'd have to agree. And they keep dying her hair, which ruins even the eye candy factor of movies she's in.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#23 User is offline   BiggSpiffy Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:My house, on my chair, In front of my computer, staring at my screen
  • Interests:Mac Daddy<br />Track<br />Cross-Country

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:31 PM

i know im getting off topic by getting back on topic but superheroes are kinda overrated since the is only a villan if there is a superhero, so finaly cunclusion no superhero = no villan/trouble

#24 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:47 PM

And how does that make movies overrated? There has to be conflict somewhere. Would you rather there be superheroe movies where you watch them mow the lawn and take out the trash?
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#25 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:03 PM

Yes, every story needs conflict to be interesting, It's just that Superhero stories put it out there a bit blunter than other stories. Any movie you see out there will have some sort of villan to play antagonist. For Office Space it was Inni-tech, Perfect Storm had nature, War of the Worlds had bad plot holes. Conflict is everything.
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#26 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:45 AM

I have a confession to make - I think the X-Men films are over-rated. Not bad, they're entertaining, but over-rated.
I am the Fisher King.

#27 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Jul 19 2005, 02:23 AM)
if it is not shown first, where does it belong?

The books were published n this order:

1. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe;
2. Prince Caspian;
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader;
4. The Silver Chair;
5. The Horse and His Boy;
6. The Magician's Nephew;
7. The Last Battle.

Notice that they are essentially ordered chronologically, with the exception thet THE HORSE AND HIS BOY is a late-series "aside," while THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW is an extended flashback that comes before the end.

Frankly I think all of the Narnia cosmology, the introduction of Aslan, the planting of the tree that will later become the wardrobe, all makes more sense when told later than if read chronologically. Chronologically, it's a series of "remember this kids, because it will be important later" moments.

I was given LWW in the second grade and I'd read it before the others. Then I read the series in chronoloical order, so I can't say what it was ever like to have read TMN before LWW. But just like you, I can't imagine it any other way.

Besides, the chronology of this series isn't important. The tales are all more or less stand-alone.

PS: Superheroes, raa boo. A dog-walking friend of mine is working in makeup effects on the new X-MEN. She says there will be as many as 50 mutants in this one. I think that may be as many as they had in the last one, but I'm not sure.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#28 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:27 PM

I read LWW a long time ago... had a BBC recording of LWW too, but don't know where it is now.

Boasting about X3 having 50 plus mutants sounds akin to all the boasting of an army of Jedi fighting in AOTC.
I am the Fisher King.

#29 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:45 AM

They had a lot in X2, but a lot of them never got more than a minute's screen time (Collossus, Jubilee, all the mansion kids).

I just hope they don't try to make 50+ mutants all have something to do with the storyline. It'll be stretched too thin.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#30 User is offline   BiggSpiffy Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:My house, on my chair, In front of my computer, staring at my screen
  • Interests:Mac Daddy<br />Track<br />Cross-Country

Posted 31 July 2005 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (floppydisk @ Jul 29 2005, 04:47 PM)
And how does that make movies overrated? There has to be conflict somewhere. Would you rather there be superheroe movies where you watch them mow the lawn and take out the trash?

im not saying the conflict in the movies are overrated, im saying superhero movies are overrated are overrated, not the conflict or anything like that, there can be stuff that features heroes, but not with skin impervious to bullets, or super speed, or mutant powers, yadda yadda yadda

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size