Chefelf.com Night Life: San Andreas Fault - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

San Andreas Fault Monday, 11 July, 2005

#1 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:47 PM

Sex controversy over GTA game
Best-selling game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is being investigated in the US over reports that it contains sexually explicit mini-games hidden in its code.

The controversy surrounds a download available on the net which is said to unlock secret sex scenes.

Game makers Rockstar said they were complying with the inquiry, by the industry body that sets age ratings.

If the findings were to lead to an adult-only age rating, it could limit sales from major retail outlets.

Explicit acts

The Grand Theft Auto series of crime games have proved phenomenally popular. They are credited with kick-starting the driving-and-shooting genre of gaming.

The PlayStation 2 version of San Andreas sold more a million copies in the first nine days that it was on sale in UK last year.

But the game has also attracted criticism from those who say it encourages gratuitous violence as players immerse themselves in an underground world of LA gangs and gun-ridden ghettos.

Now it is under fire over whether the game contains hidden graphic sexual content.

Software code developed by GTA Dutch fan Patrick Wildenborg is said to have unlocked mini-games in the PC version of San Andreas that allows players to make game characters perform sexually explicit acts.

The industry body which regulates games in the US, the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB), said it had opened an investigation into the so-called Hot Coffee modification.

The aim is to "determine if there has been a violation of ESRB Rules and Regulations requiring full disclosure of pertinent content," ratings group President Patricia Vance said in a statement.

The results of the investigation could determine if San Andreas retains its M rating, which is given to games for ages 17 and older, or is reclassified as an adults-only title.

This kind of rating could lead big stores in the US to limit sales or take it off the shelves altogether.

'Leftover material'

Rockstar has said it is complying with the investigation.

"We also feel confident that the investigation will uphold the original rating of the game, as the work of the mod community is beyond the scope of either publishers or the ESRB," said Rockstar in the statement.

The fan at the centre of the controversy, Patrick Wildenborg, has said he did not create the sex scenes, but enabled them with his modification.

"But all this material is completely inaccessible in an unmodded version of the game," he said in a statement on his website.

"It can therefore not be considered a cheat, Easter Egg or hidden feature But is most probably just leftover material from a gameplay idea that didn't make the final release."

The PlayStation 2 version of San Andreas was one of the best-selling games of 2004. The title already has an 18 age rating in the UK

News article (click - as in pull the trigger till it goes "cleek")

thanks to Laughlyn for this story

ofcourse a dutchman is responsible for all this...

if it's sex related... there's always a dutchman not to far away...

personaly i think they're in the clear...

----------------

(not related to the main point of the article, but more in regards to the constant criticism of this series of games...)

isn't funny how art that imitates life is always accused of instigating it!

the powers that be seem to be incabable of controling the world around us that they appoint themselves guardians of but waste no time in condeming the fictitious worlds we escape to in order to avoid it.

#2 User is offline   Coco Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:34 AM

dammit... I have the PS2 version of the game tongue.gif

#3 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:55 AM

I find it odd that the patch is for the PC version, but the stats are all for the PS2.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#4 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:07 AM

Typically badly research article I'm afraid. It's old news to the GTA community, but this is the first time i'd seen it sneak into the mainstream press.

But for those who want the full horror, click here.

Like I've always said; Computer games programmers should be forced to spend at least 4 hours a day outside in the real world.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#5 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:12 AM

"Push up and down in rythym"

So that's where I've been going wrong!

#6 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:16 AM

I find it odd that they seem to be fully dressed. That being said, I'm not known for spending time with prostitutes.

This post has been edited by SimeSublime: 12 July 2005 - 10:16 AM

The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#7 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:24 AM

I like how they classified GTA as "the driving and shooting genre"
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#8 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Jul 12 2005, 03:16 PM)
I'm not known for spending time with prostitutes.

Just keep telling yourself that

QUOTE (floppydisk @ Jul 12 2005, 04:24 PM)
I like how they classified GTA as "the driving and shooting genre"

Well that is basically what you do, although the makers of GTA don't like to think of it as a driving game. They prefer term "chasing game".

#9 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:04 PM

They're gonna up the game's rating because it MAY have sex on it??

LOL!
Do you mean all the carjacking, running over people, beating people up to death and basically shooting people whenever you feel like it, is "less rated" than sex!?

laugh.gif
"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

#10 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:15 PM

Welcome to America.

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Jul 12 2005, 03:16 PM)
I find it odd that they seem to be fully dressed.  That being said, I'm not known for spending time with prostitutes.

In the best interests of keeping my account here at chefelf.com in functioning order, that was the least offensive screenshot I could find.

I'm just releived that they didn't change the icon in the top right.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#11 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (Laughlyn @ Jul 12 2005, 10:15 PM)
I'm just releived that they didn't change the icon in the top right.

That would be such a neat little touch! rolleyes.gif
"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

#12 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Hari Seldon @ Jul 12 2005, 05:04 PM)
They're gonna up the game's rating because it MAY have sex on it??

LOL!
Do you mean all the carjacking, running over people, beating people up to death and basically shooting people whenever you feel like it, is "less rated" than sex!?

laugh.gif

not to mention being able to completeley oblitherate and remove someones head with a shotgun!!!

(+ all the nasty things I came up with...)

#13 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:22 AM

Well - that's disturbing.

I'm just glad that the few games I manage to find the time and technology to play aren't made by people of that calibre. Sheesh - programmers should be exposed to natural light and forced to eat food prepared over longer than 15 minutes as part of their working week.

#14 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:33 AM

Well, there's another kick in the teeth for people like me, who just wanted to get on with the business of kicking prositiutes to death for spare change, while driving a pimpmobile into everything, without being reminded of how utterly single they are...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#15 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:56 PM

anyway, i've purchased the game now... so anyone got a URL for the patch?

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size