Chefelf.com Night Life: fleshing out chefelf's "wind" nitpick - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

fleshing out chefelf's "wind" nitpick a harsh critique

#61 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Patrick Bateman @ Jul 5 2005, 05:13 AM)
Yourusername - I am also confused as to which fancy words I used.

"Well good, let's argue rationale rather than the piss poor cry baby effort of your
previous posts. Let the rational discussion begin..."

Was it well? Previous? ... How about you climb out from behind the cover of emotional rambling and make one valid point ( by point I mean note or remark not the point of a finger - you see some words have two meanings, it's tricky but you'll get the hang of it.)

Just one ... point ... just one ... or even better how about another meaningless remark?????? thumbsup.gif

Maybe "rationale".
Uh boy! Now that's fancy! ... is it? ermm.gif
"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

#62 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:02 PM

play nice... i've made to many brilliant remarks in this thread to have it locked and thrown away...

#63 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:34 PM

I agree, let's all play nice. Can I still call him a prick though? If not I will acquiese and simply refer to him as that little prat.

#64 User is offline   dougte Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:14 PM

Well, if yourusername won't play any more, maybe someone will be offended by this:

What can you say about a civilization where people zip from one solar system to the next as if they were changing their socks but where a woman fails to register for an ultrasound, and thus to realize that she is carrying twins until she is about to give birth? Mind you, how Padmé got pregnant is anybody’s guess, although I’m prepared to wager that it involved Anakin nipping into a broom closet with a warm glass jar and a copy of Ewok Babes.

devil.gif

link

This post has been edited by dougte: 05 July 2005 - 11:16 PM

#65 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:01 AM

Oh Lord. How this thread went the way of the Dodo is beyond me.

Barened: you always crack me up - in a good way, man.
Bateman: "just say no!" to arguing with gushers.

Bottom line - it was a great review. And yeah, to all those e-critics of the review that question the writers credentials: yeah, this cat must have got a job at the New Yorker by being a maximum-verbosity, no-talent idiot, and fluked his way in. I suppose every poseur in the NYC "intelligentsia" community must then be on the salary of the New Yorker by virtue of a few martinis and fashionably big words alone. Riiight. rolleyes.gif

#66 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:46 AM

*bows*

thankyou...

always glad to tickle the fancy of those who fancy a tickle...

over all that review was fun to read, and made me laugh...
there was nothing i found condescending about it at all...

if anything he sounded like a regular guy to me, and i found his writing style quite informal and relaxed... which is as far as review for a CGI fest should go...

#67 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony & sarcasm

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:50 AM

Nah, I prefer film reviews along the lines of

"i fort star wars was good cuz there was lots of big space ships and the little robot was funny and there was fings blowing up and it was a bit scary cuz anniekin had red eyes but not too scary i liked it"

#68 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:05 AM

laugh.gif

that's pure fucking GOLD!!!

#69 User is offline   dougte Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:39 PM

Patrick Bateman: "Let's talk this out. Come on back."

Yourusername: *grumble*

Patrick Bateman: Come on. Let's hear what you have to say.

Yourusername: "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

#70 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:02 PM

I AM VICTORIOUS!

I AM MAN, BRING ME MEAT AND A HAMMER.

#71 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:35 PM

will you settle for spam and a shoe?

#72 User is offline   dougte Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:49 PM

You know what, I'll respond with a point that yourusername should have made. There actually is one part of the article I slightly disagree with:

Early in the story, he enjoys a sprightly light-sabre duel with Count Dooku, which ends with the removal of the Count’s hands. (The stumps glow, like logs on a fire; there is nothing here that reeks of human blood.)

It never really bothered me that people didn't bleed when they were sliced and diced by a lightsabre because it's so hot it would instantly cauterize any wound. Correct?

The only thing that bothered me was the Jango Fett incident where his head didn't fall out of the helmet.

#73 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:02 PM

like cranberry sauce in a can.

#74 User is offline   James12345 Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (dougte @ Jun 28 2005, 10:02 PM)
That makes two of us. I used my GI Bill to learn from said ivory tower educators, but I'll never be able to rid myself of my midwestern roots (not that I want to).

Oh who cares?

#75 User is offline   James12345 Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (DarthTherion @ Jun 30 2005, 03:11 AM)
It seems we haven't even discussed what the review actually says yet.

The reviewer accuses Lucas of carrying typical movie "vulgarity" (which all movies contain, he says) to astonishing new heights, to the point that Lucas has invented a modern puritan morality play in which all individuality, humanity, and imperfection is blotted out in favor of shiny special effects and apocalyptic imagery that seems oh-so grand but really means nothing.

I think nothing could be further from the truth.

Many serious fans would probably prefer that Lucas had used less CGI in the PT, myself included. However, this is not to say that Lucas' primary motivation was to place a "plastic sheen" over everything human in these new movies. It is obvious that the plotline of the PT is intended to revolve around the emotions of the characters -- whether it succeeds or fails is an entirely different question. The apocalyptic events that end Episode III (complete with a Faustian pact with the devil and a trip to hell) do have significance for fans who understand the storyline and the backstory and who have lived with the Star Wars universe for over 30 years.

To suggest that Lucas is attempting to subdue his world to "near-fascistic" order (wtf??) is ridiculous, and what makes this "argument" (if you want to call it that) worse is that it is couched in a bombastic language that is attempting to lend credibility to a position that is laughable.

The Prequels take place in the Old Republic; the pristine surface merely conceals the filthy, interior corruption that eventually overruns the galaxy from the inside.

If you don't like the prequels, say that "The overuse of CGI is annoying; more time should have been spent on character development." That's a respectable opinion. Don't say that Lucas is working on a "puritanical dream" to purge his world of bodily functions because of a "near-fascistic rage for order."

Now, let's get to the real question at hand -- how many Star Wars movies do you think the reviewer has actually seen? My guess is 1/2.

Absolutely Right

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size