Chefelf.com Night Life: Moff Tarkin - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

Moff Tarkin

#1 User is offline   Lukasek79 Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 25 June 2005 - 05:58 AM

i must say that one thing has been made clear due to this movies final scene in connection to New Hope. we see Tarkin sanding at the veiwport when we see death star under construction. Now i do understand that after waiting almost 20 years !! to get death star under his command, Tarkin rejects proposition of abandonning it in final moment of battle of yavin. Now his reaction is far more belivieable. tongue.gif

#2 User is offline   superrepus Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 25 June 2005 - 11:03 AM

He looks ridiculous. He looks like 'Otto' from Deep Space Nine. Another one of Lucass' uneccessary OT character additions.

He resists abandoning it because he thinks it is undestructable, not because he's lived on it and been in command for 20 years.

#3 User is offline   Nicholas_Skywalker Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:24 PM

A nice little adition. Uh he looks fine to me... you only really see small glimpses of him and he deffently looks like a younger tarkin. Have you ever seen a 20 year younger peter cushing? well I was just watching the mummy and he looks just like what he looks in revenge of the sith.

If you had been in command for something (eh its never gonna happen) for 20 years im sure you would risk your life for it to.

#4 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:25 PM

But according to "canon" Tarkin was put in charge of the Death Star because he landed his ship on a bunch of anti-Empire protestors on Ghorman. But according to ROTS, he was put in charge right away. There was no time for this to happen.

What the hell?

http://www.starwars....fftarkin/?id=eu

Oh and according to the above link, the Death Star was the brainchild of Tarkin - an instrument in his "Doctrine Of Fear" to keep the outer rim planets in check. It wasn't the brainchild of Count Dookuu. At least not for me it wasn't.

This shit isn't rocket science - yet it was for the folks at Lucasfilms.

#5 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:28 PM

Wow... landing his ship on all those people and getting rewarded. That's brilliant!

I wonder how long it is before they change that text.

To be safe, here's the text as of 06/05/05:

Even as a young man, Wilhuff Tarkin was a being of vision. He saw the decay inherent in the Republic all too well from his base of operations in the Outer Rim. He ascended the military and political ranks of his native Eriadu, a densely populated world in the Seswenna sector. During the waning days of the Republic, he made valuable contacts in Palpatine's senate, and in the world of corporate interests.

When Palpatine restructured the galactic government, Tarkin was granted command of the Seswenna sector. This came on the heels of an outrage orchestrated by Tarkin on the distant world of Ghorman. Tarkin landed his vessel on a platform filled with activists protesting Imperial taxation. Rather than be reprimanded for the murder of hundreds, Tarkin was rewarded for orchestrating the Ghorman Massacre, as it later became labeled by the Rebellion.

From the start, resistance forces fought against the New Order. They took advantage of the bureaucratic borders that separated sectors, knowing that they could elude Imperial sector forces by jumping out of their spheres of influence.

To counter this tactic, Tarkin proposed a new organizational scheme to the Emperor. In addition to the sectors defined by astrographic and political boundaries, there'd be overlapping 'priority sectors' defined by the amount of treasonous activity therein. A single official would command these territories -- a Grand Moff -- who would oversee the allotment of resources personally. Palpatine was pleased with Tarkin's proposal, and granted Tarkin with the title and an enormous area of operations in the Outer Rim Territories.

Another of Tarkin's visions was the so-called doctrine of fear, or the Tarkin Doctrine as it is officially known. Rather than expend the incredible amounts of resources necessary for subjugating all the worlds of the Empire, the New Order would instead make visible a single show of force that could be used to cow any treasonous activity. This mindset culminated in the creation of the Death Star, a brainchild of Tarkin realized by a cadre of advanced scientists in a secret laboratory known as Maw Installation.

During the secrecy surrounding Maw Installation, Tarkin took a mistress, a young Imperial commander named Daala. Tarkin considered the young Naval officer his protégé, and taught her the basics of military tactics. She was assigned the duty of protecting Maw Installation. No one in the upper echelons of the Empire knew of the secret laboratory, and the engineers who had fashioned the deep space installation were killed after its completion. When Tarkin died at Yavin, he took the Maw secret to the grave with him.

Tarkin was survived by his widow, a severe woman who ran a megonite moss mining operation on Phelarion. On that planet, a solid black obelisk stands as tribute to the memory of this influential Imperial.

http://www.starwars....fftarkin/?id=eu

See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#6 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:50 PM

At least he vied the attention of one of the six or seven women in the galaxy. But if I was going to promote a new rank, title and office for myself I hope I'd do better than GM. (Maybe it was Dalaa's idea.)

He killed a bunch of protesters. Now that's decisive action. Just another step up the corporate ladder; holding his supreme pilot's leash this time probably. "You may land when ready."

(I remember Dan Rather breaking into Pee-Wee's Playhouse, one Saturday morning, to broadcast a live audio feed from Tiennemann Square. Machine guns. People crying out. Nothing says children's programming like in-your-face supression at its best.)

Luckily, there were no close-ups in Rots. This guy is grotesque. Possibly cgi?

#7 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 25 June 2005 - 04:09 PM

He sure doesn't look younger, does he? He sorta reminds me of a vulture. Or a parrot.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#8 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:41 PM

He looks uglier and older than Peter Cushing! Is he CGI or is he a real person? (With GL directing the movie, I doubt if he is a real man.)
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#9 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:00 PM

Landing a ship on a bunch of protesters reminds me of Napoleon's rise to power as a young officer in the artillery who opened up on a group of protestors in Paris with his cannons, quickly drawing attention to himself and getting a medal/put on the fast track for advancement. Maybe that's a parallel they were going for.

Makes more sense with the secret lab and the Death Star being his brainchild, as opposed to the bug creatures designing a weapon that's more advanced and sophisticated than anything in their bug world, yet another strain on the brain thanks to Lucas, who caved in on Kevin Smith's point in Clerks that Union like laborers constructed Death Star II (and I assmue worked on 1) before being mass murdered by the Rebellion above Endor. Being built by bugs seems to make it OK.

In one of the Star Wars sourcebooks, the Death Star prototype, which was a series of tapering round sections connected to a central section with no outer plating was called the Tarkin. Since Lucas didn't look at his OT, I doubt that even some good points in the EU would stand up. It begs the question as to what took them so long to get the Death Star up and running.

When the PT was in theplanning stages, Terrence Stamp was rumored to have been signed on to play Tarkin. It would make sense since he got slighted by Amidalla in the no confidence vote in TPM< but he, like Yaddle and the long necked Jedi seem to have been lost.

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:52 PM

they should have got christian bale to play young tarkin...

and landing a ship on a group of protestors is awsome!!!
i'd rather have seen that then that "you're beautiful cause i'm so in love" scene...

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size