• Last »

God Any christians on the forums?

#691 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:23 PM

There is probably a small grade on the decks of the USS enterprise (is that the name of the aircraft carrier?)

But a roof with a large slope would definately move runoff a lot quicker.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#692 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (Zatoichi @ Oct 25 2005, 02:14 PM)
Yeah, it's called a roof.  A roof that is slanted on each side.  The water would runoff.  Whereas on an aircraft carrier, which is generally flat.  Would have a very big water problem.  (This is actually a response to Civ.)

My response to you would be to go to weather.com and look at some photos of Hurricane Katrina. Note what happened to the wooden buldings there, and they were resting on solid ground, not moving rapidy over huge rolling waves in the biggest storm in the history of the planet. Flooding of that severity would be ridiculous. Note too that Katrina lasted a few days, not the more than a month that battered Noah's stone age boat. I really hope your faith in God isn't tied in to this story of Noah and the Ark, or even the great Flood, because it's just impossible. I hope your faith in God is instead tied to something more like "Sure it's impossible, but for God nothing is really impossible, so there." That sort of faith is a lot easier to live with.

As for the eaircraft carrier, yeah there is runoff, and the fact it's big and flat means it ought to be really hard to sink. Surface area counts for a lot when you're trying to make things float. All that said the alleged great deluge would sink the biggest, flattest aircraf carrier you could find. Might even sink a few subs! tongue.gif
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#693 User is offline   ion eon Icon

• Evolved
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:06 PM

God what a guy *sigh*
OH NO!!!

#694 User is offline   Zatoichi Icon

• Left Hand Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Conquering the World! Being the who when you call "Who's there?"

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:10 PM

My response to you would be to go to weather.com and look at some photos of Hurricane Katrina. Note what happened to the wooden buldings there, and they were resting on solid ground, not moving rapidy over huge rolling waves in the biggest storm in the history of the planet.

Yeah, if they had foundations, they'd be screwed. They'd also be screwed because Houses aren't designed to float!

I really hope your faith in God isn't tied in to this story of Noah and the Ark, or even the great Flood, because it's just impossible. I hope your faith in God is instead tied to something more like "Sure it's impossible, but for God nothing is really impossible, so there." That sort of faith is a lot easier to live with.

My faith is tied with for God nothing is impossible (If He so chooses). But, when attempting to argue with people outside of faith, a problem that occurs is that you are forced to use "logical" conceptions. Normally, I wouldn't bother trying to explain any of it to anyone else, because it is what it is (or just following blindly if you will). Then again my way of stengthening my faith is to continually question it (gets me to do some thinking as well). Consequently, I can work on multiple levels, and combine them when neccessary. (I didn't mean to use a bunch of big words to sound smart ... or did I biggrin.gif ) I think I have just managed to contradict myself. Maybe I'll come up with something better later.

I can't wait till we get to the New Testament, so much easier to do.
Apparently writing about JM here is his secret weakness. Muwahaha!!!! Now I have leverage over him and am another step closer towards my goal of world domination.

"And the Evil that was vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall he walk amongst the innocent and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies will rain fire. The seas shall become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked! And all creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell!" - Mephisto

Kurgan X showed me this web comic done with Legos. It pokes fun at all six Star Wars films and I found it to be extremely entertaining.
<a href="http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html" target="_blank">http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/cast/starwars.html</a>

#695 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:02 PM

wait till you get to the third testament...

it has wizards and unicorns...

its totally awsome!

#696 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:06 AM

Barend, you could very well be talking about the Book of Mormon there... tongue.gif
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#697 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:46 AM

God isn't tied in to this story of Noah and the Ark, or even the great Flood, because it's just impossible. I hope your faith in God is instead tied to something more like "Sure it's impossible, but for God nothing is really impossible, so there." That sort of faith is a lot easier to live with.

SHit you sound like a pastor, man. That almost makes more sense. if you keep trying to justify the bible all the time, it's like you don't really believe, you're not using faith. But at the same time faith can't be blind you need some convincing.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#698 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Oct 27 2005, 12:06 AM)
Barend, you could very well be talking about the Book of Mormon there...  tongue.gif

oh yeah... biggrin.gif

i forgot about that... i thought i was being random. laugh.gif

john smith is a pretty lame for a sorcerer though. sleeping.gif

#699 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:01 AM

... ^Joseph Smith biggrin.gif
I am writing about Jm in my signature because apparently it's an effective method of ignoring him.

#700 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:45 AM

I thought he was talking about the Harry Potter series...
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#701 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (Zatoichi @ Oct 26 2005, 05:10 PM)
My response to you would be to go to weather.com and look at some photos of Hurricane Katrina.  Note what happened to the wooden buldings there, and they were resting on solid ground, not moving rapidy over huge rolling waves in the biggest storm in the history of the planet.

Yeah, if they had foundations, they'd be screwed.  They'd also be screwed because Houses aren't designed to float!

I was more making a point about the wind ripping the walls off of buildings. That ark would have been screwed.

I can't wait till we get to the New Testament, so much easier to do.

Only if like the Old Testament you decide to ignore lots and lots of it. Like if it was the word of God, how come all the stories are diferent? Most commonly cited case in point: the story of the dudes crucified with Jesus. How many were there, and how did they behave? Read all 4 gospel stories before replying, please.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#702 User is offline   Spoon Poetic Icon

• Pimpin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:07 PM

Because they were all written by different people, and people are only human, and make mistakes. You try telling a story the exact same way as someone else that was there, without hearing each others' stories first. People will remember things differently. Sometimes people won't have noticed something someone else did, or will have noticed it in a different way, as their perspective is different. Also, people will try and change things on purpose sometimes for various reasons.

The gospels were also passed around for a few hundred years before the Edict of Milan made a standard set of the four gospels, and so things got changed passing from person to person, I'm sure.

One theory about the discrepancies in the gospels is that Mary Magdalene was one of the 12 apostles, but some people had a problem with that because she was a woman, and so things got changed around. One theory I read also went on to assert that John = Mary. The original name of that gospel wasn't even John, it was something like "Gospel of the Beloved," and there was one apostle often referred to as "The Beloved," usually taken as John, so they stuck the name John on it. But this person decided that Mary was the Beloved, perhaps because there was a little somethin' between her and Jesus, and she wrote the gospel of John and either she made herself be a man because she wanted her story to be taken seriously, or people later on changed it for her because they were sexist.

The Bible isn't meant to be taken literally as "The Word of God" as in he dictated to some scribes what should be there, in King James English, and pointed out which words should be colored red. The people who think so, and will not deviate from the KJV for that reason, are ignorant and stupid. (Jesus did not speak in red King James English. Grr.)

#703 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Oct 27 2005, 03:01 AM)
...  ^Joseph Smith  biggrin.gif

oh whatever...

the dude who looked into a hat full of crystals and decided that people should always travell in pairs...

and that 'good' women will get to be men in heaven...

#704 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Oct 27 2005, 05:07 PM)
One theory about the discrepancies in the gospels is that Mary Magdalene was one of the 12 apostles, but some people had a problem with that because she was a woman, and so things got changed around.  One theory I read also went on to assert that John = Mary.  The original name of that gospel wasn't even John, it was something like "Gospel of the Beloved," and there was one apostle often referred to as "The Beloved," usually taken as John, so they stuck the name John on it.  But this person decided that Mary was the Beloved, perhaps because there was a little somethin' between her and Jesus, and she wrote the gospel of John and either she made herself be a man because she wanted her story to be taken seriously, or people later on changed it for her because they were sexist.

None of the Gospels had titles, and the authors do not identify themselves. If I recall correctly, the author of "luke" wrote the Gospel as a letter to his buddy Theophilus, so this identifies him probably as the same guy who wrote Acts.

Too much is made of Mary Magdalene in pop culture. In the Gospel she is present at the cross and at the tomb and she is a woman from whom Jesus removed an evil spirit. She is not the woman in the Adultery story; she is not the woman who washes Jesus's feet, and Id say odds are pretty good she was not Jesus's girlfriend. Don't know where you heard the theory that she wrote "John;" that's not one I ever heard. In any event it's impossible to prove since she is such an insignificant character in the Gospels.

Glad to hear you don't take the Gospels literally, and that you accept discrepencies. But that challenge was really for Zatoichi.

#705 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2005 - 12:05 AM

Mary has a good name- Mary Magdalene. Say it aloud. It sounds good.

• (77 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size