Chefelf.com Night Life: CANNON BACKFIRE!!! - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

CANNON BACKFIRE!!! the Es place in the U.

#1 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:02 PM

this is comming up here and there, and rather than leave it as a scattered argument, i wanted to fortify it here.

the thing that is really weak here is george lucas' inconsistant attitude towards the EU. first he'll put his seal of approval on something to make it officially part of the SW galaxy, then he'll deride it later by disprooving it.

so you're left in a situation where he never seems to be accountable for anything...

if part of the movies don't make sense, then it's suddenly the viewers fault for not adequatley exploring the vastly Expanded Universe. but then when the movies suddenly contradict well accepted and approved material from the Encyclopedia Expanded Universe, suddenly it's not cannon.

and gushers will return with their catch-cry: "it's Lucas' universe, he can do with it as he pleases"

which of course is bullshit. he should have never shown us something he didn't feel was complete... it's quite a cycle they defend...
GL makes a trilogy we love, our love pays for it, he uses that money to destroy it and tell us we were wrong for loving the "incomplete versions"

and gushers seem fine defending that point... and good for them...

but honestly, it is fair enough that he picks and chooses who's work gets to be part of his universe, but to periodically switch their validity light on and off if is childish and irrisponsible.

i think this is a core problem that really needs to be adressed more often in the ever continuing debate about what is acceptable practice in filmmaking and what is shit people should get blacklisted for...

SW has become like a game of AD&D with a really unorganised DM... who just keeps throwing stuff in to try and confuse us...

#2 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:35 PM

Yeah. You really are right, Barend.
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#3 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Jun 19 2005, 10:02 PM)
the thing that is really weak here is george lucas' inconsistant attitude towards the EU. first he'll put his seal of approval on something to make it officially part of the SW galaxy, then he'll deride it later by disprooving it.

That's really the crux of it. Prior to the PT we were told that only the movies were cannon and that the EU was just that - an expansion that fell into the whims and desires of other artists. When the PT included EU material it changed that persepective again with some of the EU becoming cannon and other parts still being excluded.

If you read soem of the EU material then apparently it will help you to explain some of the percieved inconsistencies that have developed, but even that seems speculative. If you don't read a great deal of the EU then you are left to fend for yourself.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#4 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:57 AM

The EU is full of inconsistencies and contradictions anyway, and it doesn't help that Lucas keeps changing his mind about what counts as 'canon'. I myself consider only two sources as 'canon' for the purposes of my KOTOR fanfic: the game itself, and the Original Trilogy. (I really don't give a stuff about the rest of the EU, and the Prequels are not even worth considering.)
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#5 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:24 PM

now that the OT is so over altered... I no longer consider IT cannon!!!

KOTOR all the way...

#6 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:32 PM

What has Lucas done to the OT!!!!!!!! Damn him!
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size