Chefelf.com Night Life: How to solve the continuity of R2D2's abilities - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

How to solve the continuity of R2D2's abilities

#1 User is offline   Be The Reds! Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:13 PM

In the prequels there are all these battle droids running around and R2 can fly and do acrobatics. In the later ones there are no battle droids (except the ig88?) and R2 can't do all that fancy stuff.

Well, after the Emperor consolidates power and has his clone army, it only makes sense that he'd pass legislation making it so battle droids and all droid technology is halted in all areas of the Empire, to cement his power. All droids with certain capabilities have to be dumbed down.

In the years before the rebellion is organized, to avoid detection they have to comply to the legislation with all their droids.

Yay!

Now what the hell happened to Yoda the superball?

#2 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:54 PM

either that or boba fett blasted off his rockets, when hitched a ride on the tantive4...

#3 User is offline   Be The Reds! Icon

• New Cop

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Jun 8 2005, 10:54 AM)
either that or boba fett blasted off his rockets, when hitched a ride on the tantive4...

Maybe someone should just redo these god awful prequels

#4 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:34 PM

According to some Star Wars dictionary I have, Anakin made "special modifications" to R2-D2. Presumably his rockets and oil were taken away by his next master.

#5 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:33 AM

Oh brother.

#6 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (Storm @ Jun 7 2005, 11:34 PM)
According to some Star Wars dictionary I have, Anakin made "special modifications" to R2-D2.  Presumably his rockets and oil were taken away by his next master.

I could easily buy that all these "extra modifications" (ie: non standard) were removed when R2D2 was rebuilt. Yes, you heard that right, they rebuilt him, after the Battle of Yavin in Episode IV, he was almost totally demolished, he looked horrible... to the point where Threepio offered to "donate" his own body parts to fix the little astromech. And it would make sense that the rebels would rebuild him, but lacking the necessary parts for the extravagent modifications and the high cost of such a deal, they just gave him factory setting stuff.

The only problem with this explanation is the manuvering jets. He had those way back in AOTC (did Anakin add those modifications too? I thought he hadn't seen Padme in 10 years... wasn't R2 with Padme? So when would he have had time to add those expensive thruster jets?)

The jets make sense for an Astrodroid out in space (to fly around and do work on the ships). So it seems stupid that they'd neglect to repair that feature and build it back into the droid. But, in the OT they have all sorts of systems for putting the droids into the various ships, so I guess that tech must not have been standard, or phased out in the 20 years since Episode III. Heh.

Dang it George!

#7 User is offline   Bohrok Awakener Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:32 AM

The thing with the jets is that they've been part of the EU for years, since before AOTC. The Essential Guide to Droids reveals that R2 units can be easily customised with them. My guess is that Captain Antilles or one of Artoo's other masters between ROTS and ANH removed them to stop Artoo flying away. He did a runner as soon as his restraining bolt was removed in ANH, I don't see why he wouldn't have tried it earlier if he had an important mission.

What bothers me is the way Artoo pops out of the Jedi interceptor like a champagne cork. It's either some amazing ability Artoo has, or there's a spring in the starfighter that launches him out. Either way, it's going too far. Why can't Artoo jump out of the X-wing? Why does he need some massive great crane to do it for him? And on the point of Artoo and the Jedi interceptor, where does Artoo's body go when in the ship. You can see his head and his shoulders, but all of his body appears to be somehow squished into that flat wing.

#8 User is offline   andy_k_250 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Star Wars

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (Bohrok Awakener @ Jun 8 2005, 11:32 AM)
The thing with the jets is that they've been part of the EU for years, since before AOTC. The Essential Guide to Droids reveals that R2 units can be easily customised with them. My guess is that Captain Antilles or one of Artoo's other masters between ROTS and ANH removed them to stop Artoo flying away. He did a runner as soon as his restraining bolt was removed in ANH, I don't see why he wouldn't have tried it earlier if he had an important mission.

What bothers me is the way Artoo pops out of the Jedi interceptor like a champagne cork. It's either some amazing ability Artoo has, or there's a spring in the starfighter that launches him out. Either way, it's going too far. Why can't Artoo jump out of the X-wing? Why does he need some massive great crane to do it for him? And on the point of Artoo and the Jedi interceptor, where does Artoo's body go when in the ship. You can see his head and his shoulders, but all of his body appears to be somehow squished into that flat wing.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that Artoo's body was missing in that flat wing.

#9 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (Bohrok Awakener @ Jun 8 2005, 11:32 AM)
My guess is that Captain Antilles or one of Artoo's other masters between ROTS and ANH removed them to stop Artoo flying away. He did a runner as soon as his restraining bolt was removed in ANH, I don't see why he wouldn't have tried it earlier if he had an important mission.

He's sold to Antillies in ROTS so that kills that theory...

unless baby wedge fucked him up...

------------------------

the simple fact is that there is no real excuse for these things going missing...

remember when we used to wonder where boba-fett came from... gosh that used spin my imagination... he had mandelorian armor, but he himself was not from there... wasn't it fun to wonder though... he had such mystique...
then we got that little twerp instead... lucas just couldn't leave that to our imaginations, no he had to force that shit upon us, and waste valuable screen time that could have explained many other things...

and instead here we are wondering what the fuck happened to R2D2s special features, and why no one remembers anyone the second time around... and why no one remembers anything from 20 years ago, and so on and so on...

from wondering where cool characters came from to wondering why pretty much nothing makes sense...

yes, that lucas fellow has raised the bar for us all...

#10 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:36 PM

Actually the old Marvel Comics had a pretty cool origin for Boba Fett. I used to love that issue (edit: #68 I believe) when I was a kid. He was like 1 of 200 Mandalorian Protectors working for The Emperor after their planet just got wiped out by the Clone Wars. The Protectors eventually got wiped out, and the last 3 survivors went their own ways. There's more to it, but I'm hard-pressed to remember it right now.

This post has been edited by diligent_d: 08 June 2005 - 08:37 PM

#11 User is offline   superrepus Icon

• New Cop

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:01 PM

I remember something about the Mandalorian wars. I always just assumed Boba Fett was a product of this war - not the dumbass clone theory proposed by Lucass. I thought the jedi fought them. I further assumed that the Mandalorian wars would make it to the PT somehow. Stupid me.

#12 User is offline   Casual Fan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:15 AM

Its really pretty simple.

"R2D2" isn't a proper name, its a type of machine. Its like calling a computer, "Mac". So the "R2D2" we see in the OT is a different machine from the "R2D2" we see in the prequels, one without jets.

#13 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:17 AM

ooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

the prequels are wrong.

(As an aside, I have this horrible, sinking feeling that the OT will be remade so that R2 can do all of these things, or at least there will be some more major retooling of the OT via CGI).

This post has been edited by CowboyCurtis: 09 June 2005 - 10:18 AM

Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#14 User is offline   andy_k_250 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Star Wars

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Jun 8 2005, 06:47 PM)
He's sold to Antillies in ROTS so that kills that theory...

unless baby wedge fucked him up...

------------------------

the simple fact is that there is no real excuse for these things going missing...

remember when we used to wonder where boba-fett came from... gosh that used spin my imagination... he had mandelorian armor, but he himself was not from there... wasn't it fun to wonder though... he had such mystique...
then we got that little twerp instead... lucas just couldn't leave that to our imaginations, no he had to force that shit upon us, and waste valuable screen time that could have explained many other things...

and instead here we are wondering what the fuck happened to R2D2s special features, and why no one remembers anyone the second time around... and why no one remembers anything from 20 years ago, and so on and so on...

from wondering where cool characters came from to wondering why pretty much nothing makes sense...

yes, that lucas fellow has raised the bar for us all...

Here's a question - why is the Clone Warrior armor different from Boba Fett's armor? Shouldn't we have seen an army of Clone Warriors decked out in green and gray?

#15 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:29 PM

boba fett wears mandelorian armor, but it was always stated that he himself was not Mandelorian.

he should not have had anything at all to do with the clones...

it's like they wrote in his involvement with the clones just so they'd have an excuse to overdub boba fett in the OT....

which calls in a super huge
WTF?!?

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size