Chefelf.com Night Life: The Darth Maul board - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

The Darth Maul board Write all your maulish opinions...

#46 User is offline   Thracozaag Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (SithAvenger @ Jun 15 2005, 12:40 PM)
I understand that you don't mind Terminator 3, but Terminator 2 was awesome and is the best of the Trilogy (Well, duology for me.)

Erm....no. ermm.gif

koji

#47 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:11 AM

T1 was the best...

it had bill paxton, lance henrickson, michael beihn, etc.

it was dark, it was cool...

T2 was a little too clean, but still a great watch...

#48 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:01 PM

I think this topic should have its name changed. Maybe something like: ''What was the best Terminator movie?''
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#49 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:32 PM

Don't worry, tangents are a very normal (and intergal) part of chefelf.com
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#50 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:17 PM

i like the previously suggested idea of him not talking at all...

i like the actor who voiced him and it worked, but i think it would have been a very interesting choice to have a silent sith...

it would be kind of chiling... (as shiling as you could get with JJar JAR and JAke LLoyd in the film)...
but i liked the fact that he and qui-gon and obi wan exchanged no dialogue in combat...

#51 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:14 AM

I'd have like them to experiment with silent Gungans as well.

#52 User is offline   Thracozaag Icon

• New Cop

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:57 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Jun 16 2005, 07:17 PM)
i like the previously suggested idea of him not talking at all...

i like the actor who voiced him and it worked, but i think it would have been a very interesting choice to have a silent sith...

it would be kind of chiling... (as shiling as you could get with JJar JAR and JAke LLoyd in the film)...
but i liked the fact that he and qui-gon and obi wan exchanged no dialogue in combat...

Just my feeling that the Maul intimidation factor decreased significantly after he opened his mouth and uttered that banal phrase. (especially since there was no dueling banter later).

koji

#53 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:43 PM

Maul should have been fast and silent - to begin with he was... he didn't say 'hello there, mind If I kill you' out in the desert - he went in, tried to run over Anakin (favourite moment of TPM) and then quickly handed Qui-Gon his butt on a platter before qui-gon escaped and went "Bugger me, that was a vicious sod." or something to that effect - then he has his 'revenge' line and finally his 'slow hood reveal' on Naboo - why he didn't charge in as he did before and start hacking down Amidala's guards is beyond me.
Also, the dual lightsaber gimmick would have worked better if he held it in reserve and used the single blade like a sword before switching to the quarterstaff style weapon for taking on two enemies at once.

#54 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:21 PM

Like a srprise attack in the middle of a saber battle, right?

I actually liked the double-bladed saber. I don't know why people hate it so. I even had one that lit up and everything. Then I lost it. sad.gif
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#55 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:33 AM

It was too obviously a gimmick - also I saw a mid-thirties pale tubby balding Englishman who was supposed to be a respectable schoolteacher prance around with a big stick and say "I'm Darth Maul, this is my double-bladed lightsaber"

How could I enjoy it after that?

#56 User is offline   Thracozaag Icon

• New Cop

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (Mnesymone @ Jun 17 2005, 08:43 PM)
Also, the dual lightsaber gimmick would have worked better if he held it in reserve and used the single blade like a sword before switching to the quarterstaff style weapon for taking on two enemies at once.

Excellent idea!!! Would have make him igniting it MUCH more dramatic (could've have looked at them both, and then with a slight smirk ignited both blades).

koji

#57 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:44 AM

The dual lightsaber would have been good if we hadn't seen it in the teasers/trailers. Unfortunately the potential surprise element was lost.

If ESB was released now I'm sure the last line of the theatrical trailer would be "No, I am your father."

#58 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:12 PM

I think that Maul should have been in all of the PT films. I also think that instead of all this silly political banter of EP I, there should have been other people that knew about the Sith and they wanted to take out Maul so they could work for Palpatine. Becuase of this Sith rumor, the Jedi start to investigate. We should see Obi-wan take out some dark jedi but not face Maul. Obi-wan shouldn't face Maul until EP II. Maul should kill a crap load of Jedi and dark Jedi in Ep I.

For EP II, Maul is still the villain. We find out about the clone army. Things proceed at pretty much the same pace. As for Obi-wan, I feel that Maul and Obi-wan should fight in EP II but Obi-wan gets torn up, not killed because Anakin interferes and gets butchered, not killed and the film ends in some way or another.

For EP III, Anakin faces Maul and we do see that he really is the most powerfull Jedi, thus avoiding the whole midichlorian filth from EP I. Then with Anakin using more Dark Jedi means of killing Maul, we then see his rapid decent to the Dark Side because he loves the power surges that the Dark Side gives him. Then he faces Obi-wan and loses, thus showing that good does have it's advantages.

If there was a Grevous, then he's part of some other faction, much like the Mandalorians. If there was a Dooku, then again, just a Dark Jedi in some other faction looking for ways of working indirectly for Palpatine. He's rich you know?

This is all how I would have liked to see it anyway.

#59 User is offline   miladyblue Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:30 AM

The whole notion of just 2 Sith - Master and Apprentice - was plain old lame.

It would be worse than the Klingon Empire in Star Trek for getting competant applicants - they just keep killing each other off! The Jedi had more than one level of competency - some were good at diplomacy, some could really kick ass fighting, others were good pilots - you get the picture. The Sith, on the other hand, are badly outnumbered, plus, the master has to train competent apprentices AND worry about being offed.

The situation with Sidious and his TWO apprentices, Maul and Dooku was really silly. How much more interesting would it have been to have Sidious having problems holding it all together with the unprecedented step of two apprentices at once, both of whom were constantly squabbling for the Apprentice gig, and then thinking they were badass enough to take on Sidious himself?

Actually Dooku was in a pretty ambiguous position - surprise - as to WHAT he was, namely Sith or pissed off ex-Jedi, and what position did he hold in Palpatine's organization? Was he just a temp, filling in until Anakin's fall?

I agree that Darth Maul, as he was presented in TPM, was nothing more than a marketing decision to make the fanboys cream their jeans.

What would have been wrong with using Ray Park's "wussy" natural voice? Wouldn't that have been an interesting contrast with the fact that this [pick your choice of insult] could kick Jedi ass twelve ways to Sunday?

It might also have been interesting, to use Maul to draw attention from the "real" menace, the phantom of the title, with everyone thinking HE was the enemy? That would have given Palpatine even more wiggle room to bring his scheme to fruition. What would have been wrong with Darth Maul surviving until RotS, and Anakin killing him? Perhaps he could have died with some cryptic last words, such as "At least you will be a worthy apprentice to our master!"

Of course, that would be presupposing that Palpatine, as an extension of GL, was capable of some forethought. It would also be too much, considering how badly GL's grasp of character proved to be in the PT, to suppose for this scene to work, because Anakin, like Darth Maul, was not given any character development.

This post has been edited by miladyblue: 31 August 2006 - 06:34 AM

#60 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

"What would have been wrong with Darth Maul surviving until RotS, and Anakin killing him? Perhaps he could have died with some cryptic last words, such as "At least you will be a worthy apprentice to our master!"
~Miladyblue

That was good! I can understand the tepidness of the whole Master/apprentice gig. And this that you typed out was really good. That put some interesting thoughts/scenes into my head that I would have liked to see in all of the PT. Very cool. But like you said, Lucas lacks character development. I feel that the PT movies were rushed. You never really knew anyone, you didn't know their strugles, you didn't really see progress anywhere, even in Anakin's downfall. All of it was just ho-hum mellow.gif ... I think that these films, being that they're set during a CLONE WAR!!! they could have at least been PG-13. I know ROTS was, but it did lack the true essence of war, tribulation, and suffering. All three of these films were emotionless technological glamor.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size